Domperidone

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's great.

Helps with clipping if needed.

Can actually be given orally, vs. a shot
default_yes.gif

I have some syringes of that, and a bottle of Rompun on hand. Comes in handy in certain situations
default_smile.png

With these sedatives, though, remember that if the horse is already upset and has his/her adrenaline going, they're not likely to do the trick. Need to be used before the horse has gotten upset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really a sedative? I was looking at it's use with Fescue Toxicity (Ergot Alkaliod) It is the drug of choice in that case.

This is used to treat fescue toxicity in mares and to bring their milk in. Not a sedative as far as I know

You have to get it from your vet

Heres an article on the paste, looks like you can also use it to bring on ovulation in a transitional mare

domperidone

Jill, I believe, is thinking of dormosedan.

It's great.

Helps with clipping if needed.

Can actually be given orally, vs. a shot
default_yes.gif

I have some syringes of that, and a bottle of Rompun on hand. Comes in handy in certain situations
default_smile.png

With these sedatives, though, remember that if the horse is already upset and has his/her adrenaline going, they're not likely to do the trick. Need to be used before the horse has gotten upset.

Only thing I know is if you are using it to bring the milk in, do NOT give banamine after foaling. Banamine reverses the effect of the dom. Leaned this from a friend last year who did give the banamine.
default_smile.png

Julie, I hadn't heard that before. Interesting.

I have successfully used Domperidone here on mares that weren't bagging up before foaling. It has worked quite well for me. Saves stress and $$$ after birth if the mare has no or limited udder. I will be using it again this year if my last mare due to foal doesn't bag up properly before foaling as she hasn't with her past two pregnancies.

You should be able to get it from your local veterinarian. Equidone is the trade name and it comes in a syringe like your paste wormers.

I thought you had to give it to a mare AFTER she foaled if her milk didn't come in? So many mares will come into milk as they are actually foaling - the foaling seems to trigger it. I didn't realise that you could give it to a mare to help her develop a milk supply before she foaled. Not too sure I would want to do that actually, but it is interesting to read how others use it.

Anna

I have heard of people using it before foaling. Haven't done that myself. But I did use it a couple of years ago on a mare that foaled with no milk. It took a couple of days but it did bring the mares milk in. Tube fed the baby till it did then the mare took over and raised a beautiful, but spoiled rotten baby!!!!

Been a long time since I used it.... its used before foaling for fescue toxicity and after foaling for mares that foal unexpected or don't have an udder to speak of.

I had a chance to use it in 2008, on A thurs. afternoon I discovered a mare acting like she was in first stage labor, no bag, called the vet. By the time the vet arrived mare was acting normal, so she was checked and the vet said her cervix was softening, and the mare was probably reacting to the foal repositioning itself and gave me this drug to start giving it to her immeiatly to bring in her milk and to continue after delivery. Sadly the mare and foal were both lost during foaling. Nothing to do with the drug, bad bleeding situation and cervix would not dialate.

God, I'm an idiot at times! Sorry! And sorry I was one of the first to reply with some bassackwards input. YES, I was thinking of Dormosedan. Whoever has the dunce cap, pass it over. It's MINE!

THAT said, I have used Equidone brand of Domperidone... but I do think if I had it to do over, I'd have not used it. In our case, our vet thought the mares should have had larger bags pre-foaling and had me start it on them. One foaled the next day, no issues. The other foaled 2-3 days later (I've lost track of the exact timeline) and I think she had leaked all her colustrom. We had to transfuse the foal with plasma. I know it works, but going forward, I would personally not want to use it on a mare pre-foaling unless I knew for sure we had fescue exposure going on.

I used it on a NON Pregnant mare in order to bring milk in so that she could adopt and feed an orphan colt of mine. Mama had died right after foaling. It took 3 days for her milk to come in. It is a wonderful drug. Saved me a HUGE amount of work.

I ordered it (with the vet's prescription) from a pharmaceutical compounding company called Wedgewood. They overnighted it to me. It was fabulous!!!

Robin

I used it on a NON Pregnant mare in order to bring milk in so that she could adopt and feed an orphan colt of mine. Mama had died right after foaling. It took 3 days for her milk to come in. It is a wonderful drug. Saved me a HUGE amount of work.

I ordered it (with the vet's prescription) from a pharmaceutical compounding company called Wedgewood. They overnighted it to me. It was fabulous!!!

Robin
Robin, that is awesome and an idea that never crossed my mind... and I'm going to bet not my vets' either. I can think of a situation where I for sure would have tried that if it occurred to me
default_aktion033.gif

Robin, that is awesome and an idea that never crossed my mind... and I'm going to bet not my vets' either. I can think of a situation where I for sure would have tried that if it occurred to me
default_aktion033.gif
Hi Jill... I have used it for the usual uses, bringing milk in after foaling etc... but it was my vet's idea to try it on an open mare. This one was always a great mama, and loved every mares babies. She accepted the orphan without any hestitation... Funny... The vets at New Bolton center were freaking out with worry for my orphan colt... but the second Miss Mary saw the colt, she made that little sound in her throat that mares make when they see their baby, and I knew it would be alright. Since then, this mare will let any foal nurse from her. She is worth her weight in gold!

Its a great drug!!!

Robin

Well i have used it and it "works like a charm." The mare i had foaled, and had a very small milk bag, gave her one dose and 24 hours later, she looked like she belonged at the dairy up the road, i was told it works faster if the mare already has some milk, but three days if a mare has none, and it brings milk in, great drug!!

Back