Doing your own shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normajeanbaker

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking at doing my own shots this year on my horses. I will have the vet out for Rabies and Coggins, but am looking at doing my own 5-Way, Strangles, and WNV, as it will be a huge savings. HUGE savings. I know Fort Dodge is what my vet uses. However, while doing a search for vaccines, I came across a shot by the brand Prestige. It is a 5-Way and WNV, all in one shot. Has anyone ever used the brand Prestige? Any issues?

And to anyone who does their own vaccines, what brand do you use, and where have you found the best place to order is?

Thank you!

Jen

We have been VERY happy with Prestige V for many years... We shop the catalogs for pricing. Usually, it's either Jeffers or Omaha Vaccine.

I have used Fort Dodge and been very happy with it. I usually order mine through http://valleyvet.com. I have always had great service on all products that I have purchased through them and have gotten my vaccines there for the last 10 years.

Thanks for the reminder to get them ordered, it has now been done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever ordered from horsewarehouse.com? They have the IN Strangles in individual doses, instead of the 10 dose vile. I don't have enough horses to justify the vile. Hard finding the nasal Strangles in individual doses.

We have been doing our own shots for over 20 years.I space out the shots so if there is a reaction I know which 1 it was.I hate doing shots so we do combo shots. We do flu-rhino,tetanus, encephal-- in 1 shot. Wait a few days so everything is ok. West Nile another day. We can do our own rabies another day.We prefer butt shots-just put Mini against a wall with person at head.Person giving shot picks up tail so hind feet are barely on ground.shot site is about 6 inches below anus in muscle to either side of butt crack.Be sure to turn out so they get exercise-not in stall after shots.We stopped using FT.Dodge many years ago-too many bad reactions.I use shots by Intervet ,Calvenza,Prestige or Vetera Many equine supply places sell them.I always order so shots are shipped early in week and pay extra for overnight shipping.Order early so shots are not shipped in extremely hot weather.I'm always glad when shots are done.Each area of country is often different for requirements of necessary vaccines.

We have been doing our own shots for over 20 years.I space out the shots so if there is a reaction I know which 1 it was.I hate doing shots so we do combo shots. We do flu-rhino,tetanus, encephal-- in 1 shot. Wait a few days so everything is ok. West Nile another day. We can do our own rabies another day.We prefer butt shots-just put Mini against a wall with person at head.Person giving shot picks up tail so hind feet are barely on ground.shot site is about 6 inches below anus in muscle to either side of butt crack.Be sure to turn out so they get exercise-not in stall after shots.We stopped using FT.Dodge many years ago-too many bad reactions.I use shots by Intervet ,Calvenza,Prestige or Vetera Many equine supply places sell them.I always order so shots are shipped early in week and pay extra for overnight shipping.Order early so shots are not shipped in extremely hot weather.I'm always glad when shots are done.Each area of country is often different for requirements of necessary vaccines.
Thank you. Your reply was very useful. We usually purchase from the vet and then give our own...it is expensive. Also a couple of years ago had to pay x 2. My husband picked them up and left them on the ice all day that the vet's office puts in the bag. They froze. Was advised that they probably were no longer good so had to re-purchase. They discounted the second batch, but still...$$$$. Also will try lifting the tail.

I've done my own for many years and have used several of the catalog/online providers mentioned. The cost per dose is MUCH cheaper than if buying from the vet or local farm supply store. But if you have only a few, the cost of shipping can make a difference. Now that I have only 3 head I'll get mine from TSC.

I don't like to load a horse up on combo shots - that's a lot of antibodies hitting their system all at once and I know of several horses that had severe reactions.....one died....a filly I sold, the buyer's vet loaded that baby up on a 5-Way, + Strangles, +flu +West Nile +rabies. She got sick so then the stupid vet loaded her up on antibiotics without any probiotics or gastroguard. She bled out. The buyer was heart sick over the whole thing....a very expensive lesson learned.

Some people have mentioned rabies shots - check your state laws. Some states allow only a vet to buy the vaccine.

On Rabies even if you are allowed by the state to give it (we are here in PA) it wouldn't be recognized unless a vet has given it. Horses are held to the same laws as other animals, so if they bit a child and there is no proof of rabies vaccination, they have to be quarantined. I have a lot of families visit the horses, so I choose to have my vet give Rabies so it's on record just in case!

I did see the new Prestige V with West Nile Virus, but I haven't used it. I have given the Prestige V for years and I like it, haven't had any reactions since I switched to the Intervet brand years ago. I like to space the vaccines out a few weeks apart, so their immune system has time to recover. The best prices I've found on-line so far is Big Dee's and they have some on sale right now too.

Anyone ever ordered from horsewarehouse.com? They have the IN Strangles in individual doses, instead of the 10 dose vile. I don't have enough horses to justify the vile. Hard finding the nasal Strangles in individual doses.
I have ordered from horsewarehouse.com always good service, can't remember what I ordered, but I believe it was vaccines.

I've done my own for many years and have used several of the catalog/online providers mentioned. The cost per dose is MUCH cheaper than if buying from the vet or local farm supply store. But if you have only a few, the cost of shipping can make a difference. Now that I have only 3 head I'll get mine from TSC.

I don't like to load a horse up on combo shots - that's a lot of antibodies hitting their system all at once and I know of several horses that had severe reactions.....one died....a filly I sold, the buyer's vet loaded that baby up on a 5-Way, + Strangles, +flu +West Nile +rabies. She got sick so then the stupid vet loaded her up on antibiotics without any probiotics or gastroguard. She bled out. The buyer was heart sick over the whole thing....a very expensive lesson learned.

Some people have mentioned rabies shots - check your state laws. Some states allow only a vet to buy the vaccine.
I know in TX you cannot buy a rabies for a dog. Vet has to give it; however, you can buy the rabies shot for horse for horse from the vet and give it yourself. I am considering stopping the rabies shots. I know there is a chance of a rabid animal biting a horse but we have livestock guardian dogs that kill animal trespassers (cat, possum, raccoon, otter, and for sure if a dog or fox or coyote managed to get in). I was wondering what others think. Would it be too risky to cease the rabies??

I give most of my own and usually use Prestige V + VEE (Intervet vaccine). I've had a lot less local reaction to it than I did to the Ft Dodge. I also space them out, that one vaccine packs a pretty good punch so I generally wait a week or so to do any others..

Ordered most recently from Jeffers but I have used several different catalog sources, just whoever has the price & availability.

Jan

I too get my vaccines from Valley Vet, but this year my vet refused to allow me to get the IN strangles (apparently its a perscription in KY). I'm quite mad about it. Other than strangles and EVA, I refuse to use Fort Dodge products due to their very high rate of side effects. I use Intervet products, mostly.

I order from horsewarehouse.com as well. Bevann's reply is excellent advice, both on the brands and on spacing out the shots, especially for minis.

We order Prestige V from Big D's http://www.bigdweb.com/

We get the ten dose vials and draw up our own. We have never had a site reaction to this vaccine, but did have them with Fort Dodge which we now avoid.

I use Prestige and get it from Valley Vet, I've never had a problem with shipping and have bought up to three 10 dose vials at a time. Our state law says a vet must give rabies. Bev's advice was very good about spacing them out it you give more then one. I've never had a bad reaction and have been giving my own since 1977.

New reseach shows a better immune responce by giving shots all at once. Yes, they may have a day of the flu, but as long as nothing is more serious, something to think about!

Latest posts

Back