Doing up the Float!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi!

Finally dad and I are doing up my float he bought for me at the beginning of the year! My old beat up 'Rocket' (as i like to call it) is finally getting a make over!

Pulled off the sides and oh boy were they heavy! I could barley lift one end of it. Dad got the grinder out and got rid of the old rusted out indicators and we took the flooring out, we were expecting an old rusted out steel floor, but lucky for us it was wooden
default_smile.png

Now tomorrow I have to sand it back down to bare metal so dad can respray it, then we have to pick out something nice to replace the sides, make a door, go buy tires, get new indicators and weld on brackets, clean off the non slip mat, and yeah, I wont list all. But this is my holiday project
default_smile.png

We still haven't decided weather we will resell it and look for another one, or if we will keep it for if we ever need it. :D

Looks like you are off to a great start
default_smile.png
. I have been working on my 1995 fixer upper for the past year or so replacing things, upgrading etc. It does its job for the time being for me
default_smile.png

It is always interesting what things are called in places around the world. Here in Oklahoma, a float is parade entry, or ice cream with soda pop (as in Coke float). I would call your project a stock trailer. Whatever, it looks like an interesting project and very useful for your horses. What a great dad you have! Keep us posted on its progress, please.

I was going to say the same thing Marsha! It is always so interesting to see and hear what other things are around the world! It looks like a fun project! Keep us updated with the progress you make!

It looks Great Carly
default_smile.png
and it will be a good project for you and your dad over the summer holidays , keep us posted with some pics of how its coming along
default_smile.png

I'm obcessed with redoing old trailers! Been through three. I just love having a project I really enjoy with my dad. It's nice bonding time
default_smile.png

Can't wait to see the finished project.

Oh and here in Ireland a float is a Coke with a dollop of ice cream in it lol

Thanks everyone!
default_smile.png

Dad woke me up early this morning and he had the gerni ready for me to clean it properly. I just got used to my sleep-ins!

Dad works away truck driving on oil rigs, driving triple road trains ect. So he is away 2 weeks and then comes home for 2 weeks. And normally during that time he is home mum dad and I go somewhere. So he only has two weeks to get things done, he got home yesterday and he is in the middle of fixing our other house (my sister is renting it in town) because of a pipe leak, he is building a huge shed at home, helping me build stables, helping me fix my float, getting our skii boat ready for next weekend to go water skiing and I think thats about it, and he is helping my brother fix his ute, he damaged it when going 4WD.

So he is just helping me start everything so I can continue, my dad is always busy and when he goes back to work, I get so bored! Mum and my brother works so I am home alone haha.

Ill be sure to update on what we do
default_smile.png
Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably won't be any progress on the float for a while now D:

Mum had her work Christmas party at home with about 20 of her work mates (she works at an automotive shop- Supercheap auto)

And anyway we all had dinner and my older sister dragged me onto the trampoline with her. I did a frontflip and I nearly hit my sister so I threw myself the otherway and I couldn't stop and I front flipped off the trampoline and landed on my back and buckled my ankles.

I am on crutches now because my right ankle is swollen and I cant move it much at all and it hurts.

So I won't be able to work on it. But yesterday we got paint stripper and started stripping the paint and I got the stripper on my face and I felt like I was on fire! Because its toxic so when you get it on you it burns a lot haha.

Ill update when my ankle gets better. Might have to go to hospital tomorrow.

Just got my x-ray yesterday. No brakes in it which I am so glad for! I am getting so tired of sitting around doing nothing, I have to go back on Thursday for another appointment. The swelling has gone down now and I can just start walking, well limping around the house. Under my arms are so sore from the crutches, so today I ditched the crutches and hobbled down to my minis, It has been 2 days since I got to see them because of my foot haha. So I just spent a while with them, it made me happy, who knew you could get so frustrated from doing nothing lol. We are going water skiing this weekend, and no way I am letting my foot hold be back for the first ski of the season! Skiing is my life :D

Hopefully soon I can get back to the float!

Heres my x-ray, because It was my first x-ray and I thought it was pretty cool haha.

Can't wait to see the finished project. I love restoring old/vintage things to make them useful again. Not only do you have the satisfaction of upcycling something but it usually turns out looking very cool. Much better than a new one would. I imagine you'll get lots of comments and compliments when it's done.

And thanks for sharing the xray. I think it's really neat to see what's inside your own body. I've never had one but I always have the vet email me the digital xray images from any of our animals. But, then again, I'm a bit different that way ;)

Xrays are very cool i love looking at mine. DO NOT SKI on a bad foot. You are a young thing now, so probably don't realize the damage you can do. When you are my age (and i sound older than i am...) it starts to catch up with you haha

We did go skiing, although I didn't ski, I still went on the tubes. I ended up hitting a huge wave on one and sent me flying, I went ankle first into the water and it sprained it again, It didn't stop me though, I was back on the tube after we had lunch haha. Just had to make the most of it, it was the first ski of the season and we wont get back out for a while. Now I am more careful with it, I have a brace on it, all will be good! :D

But anyway, I have an update on the float, we haven't done much. Just got the paint of the front, dad is back out to work and when he gets back he will be building his 4 bay shed. So its all up to me now haha. Heres a photo.

My dads friend has 3 good tires for us! Yay. Now I have to strip the paint off the sides and the roof by myself, oh joys :p But at the moment mum and I are cleaning up the old round yards down the back so I have somewhere to work with my minis where there is no grass and distractions. They are really nice old wooden round yards too
default_smile.png
Buried in grass and thorny bushes haha.

Back