Dogs-breed info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well, I am in the very beginning stages of thinking about getting another dog. Currently we have two Chihuahuas (10 and 9years old) so I'm not positive if what I have in mind will work out but I'm thinking of a way to make it work.

Seeing as most of the people on here have horses and various breeds of dogs I thought this would be a good place to ask people what their choice breed is. I do have a couple breeds in mind, and have not yet ruled out "muts". I will be looking at adoptable dogs as well. I would be getting a puppy.

Anyway here are my criteria...

-I would like a medium-large dog...not massive though.

-Friendly, but a dog that I can be home alone on the property with, or out on a walk and feel safe knowing that the dog will "protect me" should the need arise. Or at the very least bark/gets angry when a stranger I don't approve of is around. I however do not want an overly aggressive dog that I will not be able to trust. This is probably one of the criteria that is more important to me than others.

-A coat that is thick/warm enough so that it can spend time outside without getting cold. There will be times (likely when I am not at home and s/he is not able to come with me) where he will need to be outside in a run.

-A dog that will be (in theory) good with the farm animals and especially around horses.

-A good family dog

-Hopefully a dog that can get along well with two Chihuahuas otherwise he will have to live separate.

-A dog that I can take anywhere, and can go on long hikes/runs with me and not give up after 3miles.

-A dog that is fairly easily trained and is inclined to be obedient.

Any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a collie? Your description matches up well with my collie girl, Kelsey
default_wub.png

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20059.jpg

Sheltie.....

I have had them and shown them in the past --years ago and purchased one just a year ago.

He is a great size....LOVES people and LOVES animals especially my horses

Very smart..very fun...LOVES to play in the snow....cold doesn't bother him...awesome dog in my opinion.

Some possible drawbacks with the breed..

Shed......mine doesn't very much yet but they need grooming as they blow their coats in the spring.

Have been known to be yippy...mine hardly ever barks.

Have been known to be shy however mine is NOT at all shy and will be working shortly to test to be a therapy dog.

I love the breed and will never have any other, but everyone has their personal choice.
default_smile.png

My boy Tracker

Mollybiblumal7wk0001.jpg

Well, I'd place my vote for a boxer, except that staying outdoors in the run would not be an option during cold weather. For every other point you made on your list, this would be a very good breed, especially if raised around the horses.

When I read the description, I thought ....Sheltie or Border Collie!

I'm sticking in the herding dog category too, tossing out the option of an Australian Shepherd. I am just in love with this breed of dog. Medium size, tough and hardy, incredibly obedient, sticks around the farm/home, funny and so loving. This is a dog that is always thinking a step ahead of you to think what you might want. Mine is one of those dogs that no matter where you go, she is always with you. Even if we were to go into town, I wouldn't need a leash, but use one just to make other people happy. Almost every picture we have taken on our farm shows her in the background somewhere. I have never needed to correct her using more than just a look and a low voice "Carly". Anything more and she would be crushed. And truly, I have probably only had to correct her about 10 times in her whole life, and most of it involved taking food/treats from the other dog. She is a little bit of a piggy that way.

I don't think you could go wrong with a collie or a sheltie or my favorite aussie. The only thing that mine does that might not fit your list, is that she is a very reluctant barker. She'll glare at people pulling in the driveway rather than bark at them. We do have another dog that does bark, so maybe she just leaves that up to her!

Here's a couple of candid shots of mine. She's 11 now and slowing down, and it's breaking my heart. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk about what a great dog she is.

212021193.jpg

269941110.jpg

Jayne and Carly the australian shepherd

Thank-you for the suggestions (and the stories!) keep them coming!

I've never actually met a rough (or smooth for that matter) collie! Friends of ours had shelties and they're gorgeous dogs.

The bit about the aussie reminded me of a friend of mine who has an aussie and I've looked after him a few times. I always remember saying I wanted one because he was such fun to have around. He was always there with you, and he does actually bark when someone comes up the driveway although I'm not sure as though he would do anything about it. My only concern is how are they with small animals (i.e. chihuahuas) and miniature horses??? I have read they may like to herd/nip small animals. Then again I suppose any dog could do that.

This protection thing is important to me but I don't want a very aggressive dog. I just want to know that if I was asleep in my bed and someone broke into my house my dog would bark to alert me at the very least.

This dog is one that will be with me always, likely at work as well...I was thinking a German Shepherd sized dog but maybe something such as an aussie would be more appropriate. My problem is that I love way too many breeds! haha.

Those shelties (well mine anyway) will always stick right with ya. I can't even go to the bathroom without him sitting right on my feet
default_new_rofl.gif

Hi :)

Since you will be away from time to time, it is probably something to think about on hair length/thickness.

Anything with an undercoat and/or is long needs special brushing attention.

There are many good breeds to consider, and a lot of what you are wanting in a dog will find it's place with you if you start it as a puppy.

Border Collies are very smart and usually quick to please. They are a versitile dog, but any dog can show signs of sadnes if they are use to being lavished on and then have to spend time alone in a run, so be sure to teach it early on that it is ok to be alone from time to time.

Here is a list of dog breeds from A-Z with discriptions, picture, and good information on any you are interested in. If you look to your left and scroll down, you will find the alphabet list.

Hope you find that perfect match. :)

P.S. nothing at all wrong with getting a puppy from the pound. And you could save a life by doing so.

Around here we find a lot of Lab mixes.

I think a collie fits the bill including the protection. My Kelsey is about 70#, but looks bigger due to her rough coat (which I nearly never brush yet she stays beautiful!). She does bark a lot, which I think is a herding dog thing, but is protective w/o being dangerous. She's smart and affectionate. Very obedient, too. She can become overly sensitive if you raise your voice to her (hurt feelings easily) but other than that, she's awesome -- her mommy told her so
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Your describtion fits my Trixie to a tee. She is a cattle dog/austrialian shepard. Your concern over them being with small animals you can put to rest. Trixie lives in the house and we have house cats. We also have bantam chickens in the yard, she does like them to stay near the barn though, I guess she is protecting them.
default_biggrin.png
She absolutely loves the miniature horses especially the new foals.When a new one is born she wants to be the first one in there to check them all out. She is always giving them kisses on the nose.
default_yes.gif

Barks very well at anyone coming up the driveway. I believe she would protect us if someone bad was trying to harm us. Loves to go outside in the winter, lies in the snow and eats ice
default_wacko.png
Will out walk me any day of the week and then be just as happy to lay on the bed all day too.

About 40-45#'s a nice size to keep indoors yet with their strong build agressive enough looking when they get their dander up to look like they mean buisness.

Smart Smart Smart!! She does a dozen tricks. Good at helping with you getting a horse inside. Very trainable.

Guess you just need to decide on what kind of dog you like. Many people on here have given great suggestion and have some beautiful dogs!
default_yes.gif

Trixie.jpg

I second an Aussie. I Own and breed aussies and i couldn't imagine another breed (love all dogs though and been around many other breeds). They are smart, very easy to teach. Some of them can harrasse the horses but for the most part if you raise them to NOT do it they rarely will. Most of mine don't, and I have VERY strong herding lines, except one. the others might occationally bother the horses but it's rare. mine are all protective when need to be but love people (strangers) and other dogs. They are as others have said very loyal. they are never far from my side. they might go off and check out what's going on but they always have at least one eye on me and if i get out of their sight they are right there "where ya going mom? what you doing mom?? wait for me mom!". They are active but not over active like some breeds can be (some border collies are neurotic when it comes to wanting to work). Mine do bark when someone comes and they look like they are going to tear the car apart if anyone comes near it when i'm not there (probably wouldn't do anything to anyone..but they sure look it..dont' have to worry about anyone breaking into my car!!!).

Mine LOVE to go for rides and they love to play ball (fetch and soccer). they are content to be a couch potatoe most of the day until it's "time to go out" whenever i'm ready.

Many people and literature say's you n eed to groom them a lot. Honestly out of all the aussie's i've owned very few needs much grooming. I've found the few show line aussies i have need the most grooming most frequently. Some of the show lines have very heavy long coats with heavy undercoat which does need to be groomed. My working/show line aussies have less and honestly they don't NEED to be groomed much. the only time i groom them a lot is during shedding season (and yes they do shed quite a bit then) but inbetween i MIGHT groom them once a month with a brush and trim their ears and legs but they almost never get matted or yucky in any way. I love them. quite low matainence. They have a nice coat so they can be outside in the extreme and will shed out to be comfortable in the summer. One of mine fell through the ice a few years ago and i was panicking i was just about ready to go in after her when she got out so i'm running to the house calling her "Come on come on before you freeze" thinking for sure she was wet and cold.. i get inside and look at her..she was almost dry except the guard hairs on the outside..all the water just rolled off her like a little otter!!

I'm a German Shepherd person....and I keep trying to think of a dog

to get for our near 2 year old male, for a companion for him. I can't

think of another dog except another Shepherd. I've had lots of other

breeds of dogs over the years and I loved my Dobermans but with

the heavier coat I think the Shepherd is more versatile. They do blow

their coats twice a year and it's a pain but just love their minds and am

willing to put up with the shedding.

They are loyal, smart, kid loving, playful, thinking dogs. They work things out

in their minds. A well loved, bonded to you, Shepherd is not a wanderer,

will always be close and watching out for you.

We have 6.5 acres that is fenced but Chevy can cruise the perimeter at

will. He does so regularly. He walks the fence lines. There is a break in

the driveway fence that leads to the neighbors. He has included them in

his rounds. He doesn't visit with them, he does visit their dogs and has

their 3.5 acres in his safety checks. Doesn't take him long to check everything

out and then he back in the house at my feet, following me from room to

room...yes, even into the bathroom

He's good with strangers, if you are, but he doesn't like people to hug me.

He will push me away from huggers.

The ones I have had are not barkers for the sake of barking but do woof to alert.

They are wonderful dogs and I've got an inkling once you've had one you'll

always find them the 'right dog'.

Research lines and buy right for a companion for life.

Nancy's post reminds me
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

If I could wave a magic wand and come up with a dog that would make me have three big dogs instead of two, it would be a long haired Collie x German Shepherd cross
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I wouldn't be able to pass up that kind of a puppy right now.

I would say the Aussie or Collie sounds like what would work.

I have a wonderful dog that stays with me, and when he barks at strangers they are definately taken aback by him (then they get a GOOD look at him and begin to giggle). He's great around the horses, and LOVES kids and is muy partner in the truck (with a lift to get him in).

Heeeeerrrrrreeeeee's MAX (aka Mr. Saturday Night)

DSC06655.jpg

DSC06642.jpg

He doesn't do well outside at all, likes the couch with A/C in the summer and furnace in the winter LOL!

Kim

I am a standard schnauzer lover, they are wonderful. They are working dogs, not terriers like the minis. They are fearless, protective extremly intelligient, not agressive, great with other animals and kids (of course with proper training and socialization) They are medium size, do not shed and you can have their coats as long or as short as you would like. They are very dedicated to their families. High energy, yet calm in the house.

Kaycee2.jpg

Well my vote goes to a bullmastiff (they are inside dogs tho, not enough coat to be comfy outside in winter). I have 2, and they are the best dogs I've owned when it comes to dealing with my special needs daughter. The female is not a very good representative of the breed physically but Oh my what a temperament. When we are not home people tell me she is definitely an on duty guard, yet when we are home she is as sweet natured as they come. When these dogs bark people pay attention
default_smile.png
. They are equally kind to my horses and house cat, who thinks he's a leopard and pounces on them and chews their legs and lips, and I can trust them to be gentle when it is needed.Link:

RoxiandMagnumMay22008004.jpg: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/lst...May22008004.jpg

Link:

DynaandRoxi5.jpg: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/lst...ynaandRoxi5.jpg

Link:

DynaandRoxi6.jpg: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/lst...ynaandRoxi6.jpg

Of course they are also LARGE dogs.
default_smile.png
The male is at least 130 lbs

I would have to agree with everyone who has said Australian Shepherd. I breed and show AKC/ASCA registered Australian Shepherds and Show AKC conformation. Your descrptions of what you are looking for is the Aussie made over. A perfect family dog, stock dog, and companion; but willing to fight to the death for their family if the need arose.

Good Luck in Your Search!!

Latest posts

Back