Dogs-breed info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
German Shepherd!! Have to purchase from a REPUTABLE breeder though. A good one will be all you say. Mine will NOT leave my property without me, would never harm a horse, kitten, kid , anything...but if a stranger comes up the drive and he is out he will NOT let them out of the car. He is alos 10 this year and acts like a puppy. This of course is with good breeding, good socialization, and lots of training but that is true with any breed. I do have to say I have always loved Aussies and reading all those posts thinking I may need to get me one!!

I have to say the 2 dogs I have would fit your bill one is a bluehealer x staffy and I think a tiny bit of rigdeback Missey, she only has 3 legs due to an accedent but she is so loyal, friendly excellent around all animals and kids, extremly trainable dosent mind the cold can be in doors or out, she is happy to do nuthing but ready when you are to go somewhere, she always looks like she is smiling every1 coments on it, I go out horse riding and she runs along beside me the hole time and I no she would protect me even if it killed her, when I was 6mths preggers I was out for a walk with my mums little dog and Missy and we walked past my mums neighbours and they had what we call over here an american mastive that was huge it snapped its chain and came straight at me total agressive just as it was gunna get me missy jumped threw the air (no idea how she did it) but got off her lead and totally wasted this other dog pushing it away from me every time the dog came at me she would attack it again missy only had 3 legs and this dog attacking was the size of a st burnard, I coulnt belive my eyes the owners of the other dog came out and draged it away bleeding but missy had not a single mark on her she was my HERO, she came straight back to me after it wasent hyped up or anything as if to say "you alright mum lets keep goin for our walk then aye ", I often think about what she could achieve with 4 legs but I guess she would just be the same.

IMG_9267Small.jpg

DSC01702Small.jpg

DSC01093Small.jpg

Our other dog is a Hunterway (Bree)that we use on our dairy farm she has all the qualitys as missy but i dont think she would attack anything if we needed her but she has a great bark she grew up with our daughter and lets her do anything to her she is the brown and black puppy in the picture with missy she is due to have puppys anyday now so cant wait for that

This pic I love titled "we havent done a thing wrong"

DSC01052Small.jpg

I cant find any recent pics of her but she is bigger that missy.

Reighnmaker, I use to own, breed and show Bull Mastiffs. They are like everything you said! (Mine lived outside though, maybe our climates are different, but a good doghouse seemed to be all mine needed. I did have 2 inside dogs, and they did great inside as well.)

But they are a very large dog. I think that the easy care of their coats and their loyalty makes up for their size.

For Aussies, We had an Aussie once that was such a sweet heart, though not very protective. Her bark was always a playful sound, nobody was ever afraid of her. She had a copperhead in her yard once and was whinning something aweful. I went out to check and she was staring at a hole she dug (she loved digging holes), this was her favorite as it was her "cool spot" she made. In that hole was the snake. Lily ran behind me, stayed crouched until I killed the snake, THEN she acted all big and bad! LOL She was always such a character!

The best dog I ever wned though was the odd mixture of a Pit Bull and Border Collie. Very smart, very protective, yet accepted anyone I accepted. She was a good judge of character and would follow certain people around in our house that we allowed in (like shady family), watching them. She never attacked anyone, but she would have if I gave word. I am sure it was more her disposition than the breed, I doubt there will ever be another like her.

Still, I think you have been given good advice about the breeds mentioned, and you can do searches in the AKC breeds to help you determine what you are lookig for.

I hope you come back and tell what you decide on, and show pictures of what you get! :)

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how a boxer would fair being a hiking/running partner? I had someone tell me to steer clear of them for an exercise partner due to their short noses causing breathing problems. Any info would be great.

I've never ever had such a hard time "choosing a breed". I really love the malamute breed but am not sure if I like some of their quirks.

Could people tell me a bit more about german shepherds please.

My two chihuahuas are slightly nervous around big dogs, although they are much better than they used to be. Assuming this third dog was purchased as a puppy...what is the likelyhood that they would all grow to like each other? I need some input on this as to whether I should just wait or???

Boxers are great (we have had 2 and will have another when Katie passes) - don't worry about the breathing - they can play and run all day long and rarely ever get winded.

You do have to do you homework - they are prone to cancer, eye disorders & heart issues - as well as the not so commong hip dysplasia --- just work with a good AKC breeder who has done the health testing (ask if both the sire & dam have CHIC numbers) and you should be fine.

Boxers are wonderful, loving, loyal dogs - we love ours

Stac, Guy & Katie!

Boxers are a high energy dog and hiking and moderate exercise would be right up their alley. They get this thing we call "Boxer Burn" where they are ON and then they crash. But they won't be down for long...they're ready to go again. Defintely clowns. I have had two Boxers. My first one who passed at the age of 11 yrs. old was not the typical Boxer personality. She was defintely a guard type of dog, but once she knew our friends and people around us she was a total goof ball with them. Our Boxer we have now is the total opposite. She is very friendly and a in-your-lap kind of dog. Do your research on breeders if you're going for a Boxer. This is a very fun breed to own.

i would go with the blue heeler they are good with the horses and are easy to train.they become part of the family. get one as a pup and they will do great with the other dogs. you can contact silver meadows training center in ocala fl. we got duke are male from them and he is just as laid back as anything will not let nobody come in the yard or get near our son
default_aktion033.gif

Another vote for aussies
default_smile.png

I have an Alaskan Malamute, love the breed... but they are NOT what you are looking for.

Try these:

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=DBS

And there's lots more, just google dog breed selector. It's good to do several, they all have different questions. I like the ones that allow you to rate how important each question is to you. But regardless, they'll give you slightly differeing breeds... so if you do mulitple, you'll see which breeds are more consistant. It's fun ;)

Jessi

Well my vote goes to a bullmastiff (they are inside dogs tho, not enough coat to be comfy outside in winter). I have 2, and they are the best dogs I've owned when it comes to dealing with my special needs daughter. The female is not a very good representative of the breed physically but Oh my what a temperament. When we are not home people tell me she is definitely an on duty guard, yet when we are home she is as sweet natured as they come. When these dogs bark people pay attention
default_smile.png
. They are equally kind to my horses and house cat, who thinks he's a leopard and pounces on them and chews their legs and lips, and I can trust them to be gentle when it is needed.Link:

RoxiandMagnumMay22008004.jpg: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/lst...May22008004.jpg

Link:

DynaandRoxi5.jpg: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/lst...ynaandRoxi5.jpg

Link:

DynaandRoxi6.jpg: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/lst...ynaandRoxi6.jpg

Of course they are also LARGE dogs.
default_smile.png
The male is at least 130 lbs

I'm sorry but I would say NO to a bullmastiff. If I were to get a mastiff it would be an english mastiff-they are goofy loveable dogs, but look very intimidating. The reason I say no to a bullmastiff is because a female bull mastiff attacked my horse with me on him. She put over 100 stitches in his neck. She had walked by the horses on the cross ties every day and one day she just snapped! I was fortunately alright even after falling off but my family was just thinking about what couldve happened if she had snapped on a mini....she wouldve tore them to shreds.....

ETA: those pics look more like english mastiffs than bullmastiffs...

And here is an english mastiff link: www.beowulfmastiffs.com -I know the women with these dogs and they are great! I actually show a dog that came from her and he is goofy and happy-go-lucky, but looks very intimidating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back