Dogs and driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My little dog always goes with me on my private drives. He usually rides in the cart, but sometimes gets out for a run. But he is staying home from now on when I go out with my new driving horse.

Today we were on the paved road for the first time. Car coming. I look for my dog and he is quarter of a mile behind with his nose in a gopher hole. Trying to call dog, cue horse to side of road, watch oncoming vehicle to see if he sees us.

I must have accidentally pulled Ranger's head around, as the shaft got caught between the buckle of the rein and the bit. He was backing down into the ditch, bridle pulled askew. Luckily he did not lose his mind. I got out and calmed him. Could not get the shaft out; I had to unbuckle the rein.

Freed him, got the silly dog in the cart, and we went on our way.

I was very pleased with Ranger's behavior in such a situation. He could have panicked.

Good job Ranger! And you! I don't know if he would tolerate it, but maybe you could get a doggy seatbelt for the dog, or clip his harness to a strap attached around the seat? Just let him off when in a safe area.

Good job
default_smile.png
My little gelding has a habit of getting the rein stuck, hes a messer though, his head is usually on his side when im grooming or lunging or anything constantly nipping and playing. Hes a buggar!

I have a chihuahua and people always ask if he rides in the cart with me. There's no way. I know lots of people have carriage dogs, but when I'm driving I want all of my focus on the horse, and I feel like I would be compromising the safety of both the dog and the horse to have him along.

Plus, my chi is a couch potato who believes that too much fresh air just might be the death of him. ;)

My trainer had me run my reins under the strap for the breast collar so my boy wouldn't get the shaft tip caught by a rein since I didn't have rein guides on my harness. I know you have been driving awhile... Your horse must really be calm and you did a great job getting things sorted out and back on track without incident. The boy I used to drive would never have been so calm had his bridle shifted. wow. what a story.

I would never have considered taking a dog with me driving and especially not running along side. My horse was too flappable and my dogs too silly and tend to follow their noses into trouble and roads too close and folks drive too fast etc...

I always tell folks if they ever see one of my dogs running loose, something has probably happened to me. I enjoy super long walks with my dogs on leash and do my horse things without the dogs along. works for me. LOL I don't run with scissors either.

Glad it turned out ok. thanks for sharing

I am very fortunate to live rurally and have quite a few sparsely traveled areas for driving. Probably why I've got the habit of taking my dog. He rides in the cart well and never jumps out--he'd rather ride than walk! But I had forgotten to put him back in the cart when we turned off the dirt road and started on the paved road. My fault, not the dog's. But I haven't taken him since, as I have proved myself to be too unfocused to pay attention to both dog and horse at the same time.

And...fastening the dog in the cart in any way could be very dangerous to the dog should anything go wrong and you be ejected from the cart; I'd never do it! Like Kendra, I have a Chihuahua,and a Maltese, but would never try to take either in the cart(though one year in the New Mexico State Fair parade, I had a miniature pig riding under the seat of my Frontier! I did have a harness on her, and a leash, and was tied w/ a quick release knot to a quickly-accessible part of the cart.)

I occasionally take my staffy with me on drives, she loves to ride in the cart and run beside it, but I only allow it with certain horses when I can keep a really close eye on her and prefer to keep her in the cart now. We had an incident with one horse when the dog ran across in front of the horse and knocked his legs out from under him. He didn't see her coming and when she hit him he went absolutely mental, and it ended with a badly injured driver and a severely shaken up horse. Dog was fine though.

I had thought about restraining her in the cart but was worried that she would be hurt in an accident if she couldn't get free, so have just resorted to occasionally allowing her to come if she behaves and stays in the cart.

When one's dog is a constant companion, it is difficult to leave him behind.

I left mine at home for a couple of drives, then decided to take him yesterday and have him stay in the cart. Did not go out on the paved road this time. Dog stayed in the cart fine, but it was still a distraction. Until Ranger and I are fully comfortable with each other, I must harden my heart and leave my dog behind.

First I will say that, yes, I like dogs. However, at my house there is dog time and horse time and rarely do they meet. You need to think about the safety and well being of ALL possibly involved parties to your decision to take your dog. It isn't just you, your dog and your horse. There are people in cars and trucks, bicyclists, joggers motorcyclists other dogs and livestock. I am not sure where you live, however in most places you are the responsible party IF you or your animal causes damage to another or their property.

What if scenes...dog runs out into traffic, driver swerves to avoid YOUR dog and ends up running over the jogger on the sidewalk, killing them...you don't see your dog as it runs under your cart wheel, injuring it so badly you must have it killed...you try to get you dog to come to you and inadvertently pull your pony out into traffic where you both get seriously injured...and the scenarios are endless. Is it worth your dog's life? Your pony's life? Your life? An innocent person's life?

I know everyday is a gift, however one must be aware of the "what ifs" and weigh the personal pleasure vs. the personal liability.

My dogs stay home, only going off property for their walk or to go to the vet. Other then that, they stay safely at home.

Drivers have to evaluate their territory. Mine is rural; the closest town is 11 miles away. The dirt roads I go on rarely have traffic. This has made me more relaxed with allowing my dog companion along. However, I agree that dogs and driving are not a good combination. I fear I may have become complacent, which is never a good attitude with a driving horse.

Latest posts

Back