Dog won't heal from surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had an animal that won't heal or took a very long time to heal from sugery?

If anyone has any information on this please pass it along.

My dog had surgery (criptorcid) so they had to go inside the gut to find the testicle they had a really hard time during sugery. Two weeks after the sugery his swelling was not going down in fact it was increasing. The swollen area was very hard, the swollen area eventually burst, he has had draining for almost two months.

I took him back to the vets several times, he has been on clavamox. The vet thinks he is allergic to the internal stitches, so we had another surgery because he eventualy broke open.

He now has 15 staples in his stomach on the outside, the internal muscle in now healed so no stitches was needed inside.

But he is still swollen and leaking after two weeks after the second surgery. The draining has changed from a redish discharge to a thick creamy discharge.

There has been so much discharge that I could've got two cups out of him.

So I ended up taking him to another vet. They did xrays (nothing came up) culture was done - this came back negative but with a gram positive rod, it has been a while sense I took micro, but his does indicate bacteria, which suprises me because he was on clavamox wich the second vet said that gram pos rod is sensitive to clavamox.):

Anyway the new vet put him on a different anitibiotic and clavamox as well as fortiflora for his gut.

This was great unitl the clavamox was done, then the swelling came back and the drainage started again with the redish discharge.

He is back on two antibiotics, anti-inflammitory(spelling?) fortaflora.

I am very frustrated and stressed the poor little man I just wish I could find the answer and see what is going on with him.

Please HELP!

Nicole

it sounds like he has a nasty infection going on. You may need to talk to your vet about stronger antibiotics and a longer course of them

if the discharge is reddish and CLEAR that is serum ( not uncommon)

you say the vet has him on anti-inflamitories, what kind? if its steroids ( pred) that will depress the immune system

It sounds like there was more going on than a reaction to the sutures ( it is not uncommon)

In all my years in dogs I have never had one have that much discharge from surgery.

I would keep on your vet about your pup until something is remedied ...even getting a second or third opinion if necessary. As far as products go.....I've used Forti Flora and am using it right now as we speak for one of my pups. There is another product that I've used for my girls that has worked really well and I think is beneficial for them. It's called Prozyme and your vet should carry it. Ask him/her about it. Amongst other things it promotes wound healing and does good things to the inside of your dog. It's not just for dogs, cats or horses but used for others animals as well. It can be used in conjunction with meds. An overall good product I've found when I've used it. Here's the link:

http://www.prozymestore.com/

When you mentioned about the surgery your pup had and that the wound keeps weeping it brought this to mind. Good luck with your little one. Keep us posted on how he makes out.

That sounds like a MRSA infection (drug resistant bacteria). Talk to your vet about it. Oral antibiotics won't do it. He'll have to be hospitialized.

I had a cat who we think got bit in the neck by another cat. It abcessed, then busted open. Since it was at his jugular, we thought he was going to die. We rushed him 30 minutes away to an all night emergency vet. It cleared up and a month later, it came back. After 5 or 6 more trips to the vets over the next 8 months and countless draining tubes, we were at our wits end. The last time they put him under to clean an abcess, he almost died on the table. So that meant no more surgeries for him, and his last visit, they had to drain it while he was awake, with us holding him.
default_smileypuke.gif

He was on three different antibiotics but nothing made it go away for good. Finally, they gave him cephalexin and we haven't had any problems in over a year and a half. I would definately keep riding your vets about using different antibiotics because eventually something will work, they just need to find the right one. Do they make you do any maintenance for it? We had to put on warm compresses and also use a lot of betadine.

Latest posts

Back