Dog treats????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treats should be tiny. If dog gets upset stomach it is probably due too much treat volume. Treats are not substitute for high quality dog food. Just a reward tidbit. Lots of folks give huge treats or many during the course of a day. Think of those treats as a portion of your measured dog food. One large biscuit would be half my dogs food ration. I can get 100 tiny treats out of a hot dog. Treats are main reason dogs are too fat. One cheese stick and I can do obedience work with two or threes of my dogs and I swear I eat half since I hide treats in my mouth on occasion so dog looks at my face. Dog food makes excellent treats and it comes out of their regular portion of food. Lol I don't hide dog food in my mouth but I know breed handler's that do. Bleach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the treats info everyone!
default_smile.png

When we had just Roxy she'd go nuts if she saw a McD's and we'd have to get her a couple of plain cheese burgers. But with Patrick now too, she gets snarky. So some kind of crunchy little "car" treats would be great. Yup made in USA treats is what I'm wanting!

Our dogs are Anatolian & Great Pyr
default_smile.png

Nutro natural choice crunchy treats. My dogs like berry flavor. They smell great.

vickie gee,I am very interested in your comment about blueberries for eye staining.Will it work for saliva staining around the mouth?My 11 yr old Corgi pants a lot and her under jaw is very stained.do you feed them frozen or fresh?
It helps with the stains from tears. I doubt it would help with saliva stains. Our Jap Chin gets stains on his feet from licking and also way up on his nose because his tongue is so long he can lick all over his face. My sister-in-law who is a groomer says all that licking and stains are from allergies.

Ours get both fresh and/or thawed. I just put one on top of their regular food. They really go for it.

I have been using Zuke's training treats when working with our 9 month old Lab!! Our dachshunds love them too, just the right size for them! Lol Also I have been buying the Nutro crunchy treats, the carrot, peanut butter and apple are winners!

Like Boss Mare, I feed treats (biscuits and a soft treats) from the same company that I get my kibble from, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Salmon (grain free). My dogs get one to two a day and that's it. I no longer feed rawhides, pig ears, etc... after having to stick my hand down my labs throat years ago to remove a piece. I have even just fed a couple pieces of kibble as a treat and they are just as happy with that as the biscuits...my dogs love their food...it's a little pricey, as are the treats, but I find I do not have to feed as much and their coats, body condition are awesome. My dogs do chew on nylabones and that helps clean up their teeth in the place of rawhides. I do not feed any people food except they will get an occasional baby carrot if I buy them for something else.

eggs are good. I prefer egg whites. You can buy egg whites in cartons. (not egg beaters but "all whites" (green container)

Microwave and cool and you can cut into small firm little tidbits. dogs go NUTS over them. Great treat. I prefer just to do the whites, egg yolks crumble in boiled whole eggs, but the egg whites stay firm after microwave and cooling and you can put them into a baggie in your pocket for training. The all whites brand are pasturized and do not taste fakey like egg beaters, they are delicious. Humans (me) love them too. You can eat a big pile of "all whites" for only 1 point for weight watchers where 1 egg will cost you 2 points.

No cholesterol in the whites. Great treat, great reminder Reo.

Latest posts

Back