Dog Question-My JRT is sick!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
First of all, have an appt with his vet at 1:00 today.

I'm scared and don't know what is wrong with Auggie dog. He's a 4 year old JRT. Always been healthy. Over the last week, he started chewing on the base of his tail until it was bald. I have been treating it with various concoctions....Sulfodene for hot spots/itchy spots, tried some Caladryl, bathed with antibacterial soap. Last night put some desitin on the spot and it doesn't look like he licked/chewed on it over night as the desitin is still there. Late yesterday afternoon, he became lethargic and just laid on my daughter's bed. He's never been a hyper JRT, usually just spends his days taking it easy. Got him out of the bed last night to give him something to eat and he just stood there, did eat a little. Stayed in my daughter's bed all night. Took food & water to him this morning and he ate/drank fine. Carried him outside this morning and when I set him on the ground he almost toppled right over. Then he just stood there and wouldn't move further into the yard or go potty. He did walk a few steps when I called him back into the house, but then stopped for me to pick him up. Carried him back to bed. He has no injuries and doesn't leave our fenced in yard. My other 2 dogs are fine, no problems. Any ideas of what might be going on with Auggie? This just came on so suddenly and I'm scared for him!!

Kim, I have no idea what could be wrong but I am keeping Auggie in my prayers!!!!

i'm clueless too but hope you get some good news today!!! will be thinking about your little guy and praying for a good outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww...I hope Auggie Dog's appt. goes well today. Maybe the vet will run some tests on him and get to the root of what's ailing him. I'm wondering by any chance...the Caladryl and Desitin, are they dry or ointments? Is it possible that he may have licked a bit and ingested some? My Boxer back a while had something up with one of her feet...I remember using Neosporin on it and she just took a couple of licks and ended up throwing up. Needless to say I ended up wiping the Neosporin off.
default_sad.png
Keep us posted...good thoughts for your little one today....hope he feels better.

Thanks all!! I appreciate the thoughts for Auggie!!

The caladryl & desitin are ointments and I fear that licking at them is what has caused him problems. I would think there would have been some throwing up or loose stools if they affected him, but so far there hasn't been. He is just lying on the bed under the blanket. Really glad the vet had an open appt for him today!!!

The progression sounds a bit like lyme disease, combine with the hotspot (could be bite site). Good luck hopefully the vet will have some answers.

Have you taken his temp?

I looked up the symptoms of Lyme and it could fit. The articles I read said the dog could become affected in as little as 2-3 days. They said some dogs will have such joint pain that they will refuse to get up or walk. I didn't see a tick on him, but with the temps warming up so much this week, I guess it's possible that one could have bit him. At least there is a blood test for Lymes, so it can be checked for. I haven't taken his temperature. Vet appt is in just over an hour, so will let you know what I find out when we get back. Poor Auggie!! He just doesn't look or act well at all!!
default_no.gif

I have no advice to offer, just wishing you the best...hope you find some answer soon. We're all keeping you in our thoughts.

Liz R.

Sorry about your baby. Keep us posted as to how he is doing after the vet...

Kim praying that Auggie dog is going to be fine. Let us know how the appt goes. Hoping its just something simple and can be fixed fast!

Just got back from the vet. He had a 104.2 temp, so feel some sort of infection is going on. They pulled blood and will be calling me with the results, could be Lymes. They also sent home antibiotics for him and depending on the blood results, may have to put him on something else.

Poor Auggie!! Normally when he gets nervous or uncomfortable, he growls...doesn't bite, but growls. There wasn't one peep out of him the whole time we were there even when they took blood out of his neck. He just feels too bad. I gave him something to eat when we got home and snuck his pill in that way. He's back in bed under his blanky now. I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon!!

Thinking of your little boy, hopefully things will turn around for him soon - it's so hard to watch them hurt!

Just spoke to the vet's office........Ok....this is frustrating...........blood work came back negative for everything which I guess is good, but they can't tell me what's wrong with him, just that he has an infection. $225.00 and can't tell me what's wrong or what caused it??? They did offer some sort of pain med, will have to pick that up in the morning. Geez!!! Said he should be feeling better in 48 hours on the antibiotics. This dog hasn't pooped or peed since probably yesterday morning. He can't walk. When I carry him out he just stands there. How long can he go without going to the bathroom??

Aww Kim I was sure hoping you'd get some answers. Hopefully tomorrow he will be feeling a little better. He must have one heck of an infection for his temp to be 104! That is one serious temp! I wouldnt worry about him going potty at this point, he'll go when he has to. Tuck him in and kiss him good night and lets pray those antibiotics kick in soon.

Oh poor baby. Did they do any xrays to make sure it wasn't a blockage? It can cause a high temp. Give the anitbiotics a chance to run. A lady on my JRT board had her pup come down with somthing simular to what yours has and the antibiotics worked like a charm. What did he say about the bald spot?

I gave him an 80mg aspirin about 2.5 hours ago. He seems just a little perkier. Sitting up on the bed instead of lying flat out on his side. I took him outside and he walked a few steps, but didn't go potty. Drank some water and started to walk back down the hall to my daughter's bedroom. He didn't get too far, stopped, turned around and looked at me so I would carry him the rest of the way.
default_wub.png

The bald spot is due to a flea allergy. Somehow he has gotten fleas in January! Maybe the warmer temps? Need to get him something for that. I am continuing to treat the spot with Sulfodene. The spot is completely dry, not oozing or anything. Was wondering if that's what has caused the infection? I would think it would look infected if that's what caused it, but I don't know. He has no other sores or injuries, so would really like to know what caused the infection. With people, something has to cause the infection, so something must be causing his, right?

I hope he continues to improve. My s-i-l works at an emergency vet clinic and she talked to her vet about Auggie. Her vet was really concerned about the high temp. If he's not showing improvement tomorrow, may take him to my s-i-l's clinic and get another opinion.

Thank you to everyone for thinking about Auggie!! I really do appreciate it very much! I've never really had a dog that got sick before. They've been to the vet for shots, check-ups, spaying/neutering, but no one has gotten sick. It's really scary when someone you love so much is ailing and can't tell you what's bothering them!!

Latest posts

Back