Dog Pack trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so very, very sorry. I pray you, your family and the rest of your herd, will be blessed and watched over.

May you blessed in the coming weeks.

I am so terribly sorry to hear of this, Tony. I had hoped after last years tragedy that this pack had left the area. I was literally sick after reading your post. It has taken me two days to come back to reply. I hope you find and kill all the dogs in this pack. I wish I had a way to get down to Texas next week... it's spring break, and you could use all the help you can get. Dogs are tricky, and very hard to catch. Your horses and your family will be in my prayers, Tony. Do you know if there are any hunters near you? They'd probably enjoy having the target practice. These dogs need to be destroyed, and the sooner the better. I wish you all the luck in the world to get these dogs!

I DON'T CARE WHERE YOU LIVE PEOPLE, IF YOUR DOGS RUN LOOSE YOU ARE AS BAD AS THESE PEOPLE. I KNOW YOUR DOG NEVER LEAVES YOUR PROPERTY.......YEAH RIGHT..I HEAR THAT ALL UP AND DOWN MY ROAD.WHY ARE YOUR DOGS ALWAYS ON MY PROPERTY THEN!

OOPS SORRY THIS MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL.

Again Tony I am so sorry,just do what you have to in order to give you and yours some peace.

Bonnie
I agree with Bonnie, Its not just in the country. We live in the City, we have Leash law here, and still

fighting with the a couple down from us, who continue to turn their Lab loose and let it run. I have

spoken to them over and over. The dog was hit by a car a few weeks back. Did this teach them, nope.

They say its only out when they are out, Well again today I caught it over in the neighbor between us.

Its a battle.

Its just so heart breaking for the loss of these beautiful horses. Watching you show Sterling, a beautiful

boy, and Rebelrave, wow she was awesome. Poor Traveler, he made a little visit with Bonnie, to help him

recover, some therapy to help him over come the mentel anguish. Its just heart breaking. Thank goodness

Xeon will be okay.

I do have a question for some of you, what is a no climb fence, any pictures, where do you buy it? So

when we get moved I will know what to buy and put up, along with hot wire.

Tony again, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I pray you will be able to destroy each of these dogs, and put an end it.

Vicky

Tony, I have read these posts from start to finish and feel so incredibly sad. This is such a horrific tragedy and whether you have 2 minis or 200, this is a terrible thing to have to endure. I'm sure each one of these dear horses is equally important to you. The loss is great and the pain & anguish must be tremendous. When will it end? May God give you the strength to keep fighting and the support you need to put an end to this holocaust.

I am so teribly sorry Tony,

I hope these dogs are destroyed and you never have to go through this again!

You have my prayers!

Gage

Tony you have my absolute sympathy. I was a herdsman for a dairy farm at one time and we had a big problem with neighbors dogs packing up and killing calves. The thing that people do not realize is that these dogs do not just kill, they TORTURE the animals they kill first. The really scary thing is as horrific as killing these beautiful horses is the next step is humans which means some poor little kid. I really think the media is the way to go if you are not getting any help from the Sheriffs Dept or Fish and Game. I know if it was one of my horses I would be insane and if I had a gun the owners would have to worry as well as the dogs!

Linda B

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Such a horrible time for you all. I agree with what others have said about getting hunters involved, maybe if you talk to a hunting club in your area they would help. The dogs have crossed the line and now must be destroyed.

I pray for you all and for the injured to heal.

God bless you.

Lee

Oh no! Tony, I am so sorry to hear of your devastating losses! I haven't been able to spend much time on the computer for a while, and didn't see this post till just now. My heart sank in reading of one after the other, and then when I got to Traveler's name, oh my goodness!!!! My heart just plumeted! Tony, I am so sorry all this has happened. Praying for Traveler with all my heart, and for your others that were injured as well. :no:

Tony, I am so sorry to hear of your terrible losses.

Whether you find the owners or not, I hope you do manage to kill these dogs: they have developed a preference for livestock, and must be put down, the same as a sheep killing dog.

It sounds as if you have a feral pack on your hands, so I am not hopeful that you will find the owners, but if you can hold the bodies for veterinary examination, you may find out at least why this was happening and be able to attack the problem at its roots.

Loose dogs are a tragedy just looking for a place to happen: I will never understand why anyone would let their dogs run loose off of their own fenced land.

Leah M.

In spite of the fact that we have four full sized donkeys, three miniature donkeys, ten llamas, and two mules, our dog problems have surfaced again. This time with tragic results while I was gone to the AMHA Convention in Florida. I was delivering some horses to Alabama and to Florida, so drove out, accompanied my my mother. The second day that we were travelling, Carol called to let me know that dogs had killed one of my very favorite mares, and Jesper's favorite that he begged to buy and take to Denmark:

Oh my gosh!! That is horrible!! I'm so sorry...So many in so little time :no:

I hope you get to the bottom of this and are able to stop the problem...

Tony, I am so terribly sorry about your horses! I sure hope you get those dogs soon!

What I am going to tell you is so frightening...and very long.....

When we first moved here (a subdivision of mini farms) 16 years ago, there were wild dogs living in the woods behind us. We didn't know it until the kids came running in saying that they were playing football in the yard, and this pack of dogs came running at them! After that, whenever they were playing, the dogs would come running , barking, growling...there were 6-7 of them that we saw.

Our friends to the South of us had a 14 yr. old black and tan Dobe x Husky, Dobie, that was the sweetest dog..he was also very arthritic and had a hard time walking. One day a neighbor out on the highway, Mr. R., went to their house and had a gun belt strapped on and said he was there to shot the big black dog as he had been killing his calves. He said he caught him jumping the fence after he had killed one. My friend told him that Dobie had been in the house all morning, and couldn't jump a fence if he had to...she even let Mr. R. check Dobie for blood.

Then the attacks on the neighborhood dogs started...They were a bunch of bullies that beat up all the dogs in the neighborhood for fun. Dobie was one of their victims..twice he had to spend 3 days at the vets for the bites and bruises he had been given.

Then the neighbor to the North had gotten home from work and his kenneled Golden Retreiver was down. He went to sit with her, and she had had a heart attack from those dogs harassing her through the kennel fencing. She was still alive, but couldn't get up. Suddenly, she stiffened and tried to sit up and growled. He turned around to find a huge! black dog crouched and creeping up on him in a catlike fashion. He jumped up, waved his arms and scared it off.

By now, the whole neighborhood was so sick of these dogs! The leader seemed to be this big black and looked to be a Lab x G. Dane. We called the dog warden and he did finally show up. But, wouldn't do anything. He told US to take care of it! The sherriff said it wasn't their job, and the game warden only takes care of the game...

But, no one was able to get these dogs. The dog warden finally gave us tranquilizers and said to put them in meat for them...they wouldn't touch it. They would walk up and sniff and take off like they were shot! A very clever bunch of dogs.

It turned out that my friend's hubby and mine (they worked together)found out that they had a co-worker who was a bounty hunter for the state for wild dogs. So, he came and found them living in the woods...and they had pups..and there were a lot more than the 6-7 we usually saw. He got 3 of them, but then Mr. R. came up on his 3 wheeler wanting to help and scared them. The bounty hunter said not to worry, they would be back because they had pups there.

Well, he never did get to come back. So, Mr. R. ...a Viet Nam vet...went back there and got them ALL!!! Now...this is going to scare the dickens out of you (it sure did all of us!)..but when the smoke cleared...there were 33!!!!!!!!!! of them dead!! plus the 3 the bounty hunter got. It is hard to tell how long those dogs had been living and breeding back there. Some of them probably had owners at one time..and many of them didn't ...they were born wild.

We are all so grateful to Mr. R. for getting all of them!

Tony, I hope you find a Mr. R. to help you too! Thank God we didn't have any stock at that time. We were so lucky they didn't get our kids!

Jo Ann,

Thanks for posting that story!

I also really hope Tony can find a Mr R. also or several bounty hunters to work together!

Susan O.

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: i'm saddened by your loss. velma
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Tony, I just saw this terrible sad post after seeing your update. I am so incredibly sorry for your losses! You lost some amazing little horses. Even if they weren't your best, which I know they were, it would still be devastating!!! I was so horrified when you lost your herd of babies last year, and now your stallions!!! And your good mares! I am so heartsick on your behalf, to lose Sterling and Bingo. OMG.
default_crybaby.gif
:

I pray you are able to resolve this sometime VERY SOON!!! And there will at the very least be some responsible parties to pay restitution and damages.

Tony - how utterly devastating - I can't think of anything to say - Wish I lived near you to stand watch over your herd with you.

Jjay

Tony -- I'm so sorry your horses, you & your family are going thru this.

Just to pitch in my 2 cents worth -- I've found that cattle panel is the BEST defensive fence. It comes in heights to 52 inches, so most dogs can't jump it. And the squares are about 4x4 inches, so most can't crawl thru. It's absolutely not as attractive as vinyl rail or real rail, but eminently more practical.

Again, I'm so sorry this happened. I am thinking the dogs don't really have an owner, but have formed their own wild pack. :no: :no:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back