Dog Health Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had any personal experience with one of their dogs having Cherry Eye? If so can you please share your experience? Lakota has one that keeps coming and going, and eventually it will have to be taken care of. I was just hoping I could get more personal information and first hand accounts with this. I've looked thru the internet and have an idea of what it is and why it happens...just wanted to see if I could talk to someone that has gone thru it with their dog, what to expect, did it come back and that sort of thing.

I should also say that she saw the vet for this. This is why I know it's Cherry eye. She prescribed eye drops for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I bought a Chihuahua several years ago that had Cherry Eye. My vet did as yours....used drops several times, and then finally had the surgery done. They cut that piece off I think. Never could tell she had had it done after that.

Priscilla has a corgi who had cherry eye and the surgery to fix it. You cannot tell looking at her now that she ever had a problem.

Thanks you guys for your replies.....do you know which surgery it was? Did they tack it or actually cut the whole thing out?

Sterling said:
Thanks you guys for your replies.....do you know which surgery it was?  Did they tack it or actually cut the whole thing out?
470048[/snapback]

Sorry, but I havn't a clue about how much it was. I am talking about 20 or so years ago. Heck, I can barely remember what happened YESTERDAY!
wink.gif

As for the actual procedure, I do not remember that either, but I "thought" he cut if off, but I could be wrong.

LOL...Mona....I'm not asking about the cost of the surgery.
laugh.gif
as I do know it can run into the hundreds. It does make sense however that you mention 20 years ago and that they probably cut it out. They do alot of "tacking" now instead of cutting the whole lid out because they talk about the dry eye thing that can be a concern for the removal surgery. I was wondering about the percentage of it popping back out with the tacking. Oh goodness I am definitely NOT looking forward to submitting Lakota to another surgery...geez I was like a caged lion the day she got spayed!!
sad.gif
On a lighter note, she's growing in leaps and bounds and really doing well in her puppy class!! And if I thought she was my shadow when she was a baby-baby.....she is even moreso now!
wub.gif
Thanks again Mona, I appreciate your info!!
yes.gif

not much knowledge of cherry eye other than a cocker years ago and hers was just treated with drops never needed the surgery.....

However I am becoming well versed in entropin ......I have actually fostered one dog who had a botched surgery which led to corneal scratching and blindness......most of the time they try to do the tack at a youngish age and it is pretty successful........maybe you could pm dr. Pam and get some better insight into the surgery/tacking procedures to help alleviate some of your worry

Sterling said:
It does make sense however that you mention 20 years ago and that they probably cut it out.  They do alot of "tacking" now instead of cutting the whole lid out  because they talk about the dry eye thing that can be a concern for the removal surgery.  I was wondering about the percentage of it popping back out with the tacking.
470251[/snapback]

You know Sterling, I honestly have no idea HOW he did it, but I always assumed that he just cut the smaller portion of it off. I had no knowledge of him removing the entire eyelid??? NOTHING was ever mentioned to me about dry eye or anything, so maybe he did this tuck thing you are referring to, but I always just assumed he cut off the part that would protrude.

Your Lakota is such a beautiful little girl, and I KNOW she has the BEST home she could have ever asked for there with you. No one could possibly love her any more than you do!
wub.gif
aktion033.gif

runamuk --thanks for yor reply. I am hoping and praying that maybe Lakota's will go back in once and stay that way too. Especially in the mornings it's gone and all tucked away...but then after awhile it resurfaces again. It's more frustrating than anything else, as it does'nt seem to bother her...just looks icky.

Mona--awww thank you for that sweet reply!!! Gee how could you tell that this little girl has stolen my heart?
biggrin.gif
My Boxer is such an independant little sole who I love endlessly, and Lakota is just a total big baby
517.gif
How can you not fall in love with a big, floppy, love of a baby!!
wub.gif
yes.gif

Yea there's this technique thats called "tucking" and they put a couple of stitches in there and put it back in place. From what I've read it looks to have a good percentage rate of success without having to cut and remove the eyelid and tearduct, therefore causing dry-eye. Just don't know of anyone who has gone that procedure with this.

Yes, we had a bassett that had cherry eye. Certain breeds, normally those with the droppy eyes are very prone to it
sad.gif

Our Bassett had a severe case of it and sadly we had surgery to remove it but it did return. He suffered quite a bit with it and went blind at age 9, I am not sure if this was related to the cherry eye.

But our vet said our dog had one of the worst cases he had ever seen. Many will make a full recovery once they have had surgery to remove it.

It is very painful and if not removed can cause their tear ducts to dry up.

Pur Bassett had endless health problems and clearly he was not well bred BUT boy was he sweet! It was sad to see him suffer though
sad.gif

I think if you had your pretty girl treated early on she would make a full recovery.

We do alot of cherry eye surgery the doctor will only tack the gland, if you remove it you have a good chance of dry eye which is a whole other nightmare. I personaly had it done to my dog when I worked for another vet and he removed it now my dog has dry eye which I have to keep clean and use special eye ointment, if I could do it again I'd either tack it or leave it. Good luck.

Fiona and tina...thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I appreciate everyone's reply.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back