Dog grooming costs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolly is beautiful! I have a Great Pry scheduled for an appointment next week. :)

Petco, PetValu & some other "Mom & Pop" shops offer self service dog washing. It can be a lot easier as it does give you a raised area to bath your dog and access to a force blow dryer.. Most stores even clean up your mess. :) All the ones I am family with charge $10 / per pet -- use of tub, dryer, towels and shampoo. We even have a card - after 10 / get 1 free.

Chevy is 122# German Shepherd and goes in about every 8 weeks for a bath and all the goodies.

They say he is one of the easiest dogs of all the dogs they do. He climbs in the tub, turns around

asked, snivels at the dryer but is a good boy. They don't even kennel him, he gets free roam of

the place.

They charge $40 for him.

I have a friend with an Olde English Sheepdog who weighs little next to Chevy and they charge her

$125 to $150 and have told me she is a p.i.t.a. to do.

Most of my prices are based on coat type / breed, how it's maintained and cut desired -- however I do have a few exceptional dogs that I do at a greatly reduced price; especially for the customers that tip well.

I groom a standard poodle every 4 weeks that gets a very exotic clip, all hand scissor and tons of blow drying.. I charge $55.00, should be $100 job.

Chevy sounds like a great dog! I love GSD's but not too many I get are fond of grooming. In 8 years of being a groomer and 4 emergency room visits, 2 were caused by GSD's.

especially for the customers that tip well.
Hi Michelle. Please tell me what you think a good tip is.........like on a Cairn. My groomer looks pleasantly surprised when I tip her and says thank you a dozen times so I was wondering what your idea of a good tip is? Thanks.

Carol

You'd be surprised with the amount of people that don't think to tip their dog groomer. It's understandable and I realize not everyone has the extra money. No worries.

A good tip is about 20%. Though I appreciate anything -- I have been tipped a dollar or two, baggies of change, gifts, etc.

For Carins I charge about $50 so $10 is a nice tip. $20 tips are always nicer.. I have some wealthy and very generous customers ($50-$80 tips) and I have some that don't tip at all. I love (almost) all of my clients and their pets. :)

I apologize if I have taken over this thread.

I am very passionate about what I do. I love hearing stories, communicating and educating.

I have enjoyed reading the responses from different parts of the country and tips for grooming from boss mare.There is much to be learned on this forum if you are willing to absorb it.Got some tips I can use on my dogs.Thanks to all who contributed their suggestions and comments.

no don't apologize! this is a good thread..we're lucky to have a professional to give insight! Bevs right very good info. here from all over.

Your pet groomer is performing a service and should be tipped acordingly if doing a good job. Service workers usually only get a percentage of what is charged so your tip helps finacially and shows your appreciation.

Ok I understand the groomers who work on percentage getting a tip but is it acceptable to Not tip the owner of the business? I don't tip my farrier..but I do give her a really nice gift at Christmas time.

You do not need to tip the owner, just the person doing the work/performing the service, for you. If you want at Christmas take a small basket of goodies or tip a little higher, but the owner is just that the owner, unless of course they are the one performing the service, sort of like when you eat at a restaraunt you tip the waiter, not the owner.

Please don't apologize Michelle. I would much rather hear from someone that really knows then someone who is just posting to post. (if that makes sense) Thanks for the information. My feelings are the same as if you were to go to a restaurant and have a good waiter/waitress. If you can't tip appropriately then you shouldn't go out to dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tip my farrier for things like last-minute calls, difficult horses, or coming back out to tack on a shoe. Little gifts at Christmas.

Dog groomer... You should tip, more if you've got a difficult dog or if your dog is particularly dirty or matted.

I do the same with my children, if the stylist is quick and makes a positive experience.

You should tip those who serve you, particularly if you'll be using their services again!

Thanks guys! I am open to any and all questions regarding grooming. I love my job. :)

After being in an industry where I very much appreciate tips, I have become a very generous tipper, if I am pleased -- I can pay a mortgage on monthly tips alone. Now, that is VERY helpful and appreciated!! Makes me feel good that my customers are that satisfied with their service. I think a sign or tip jar is a little distasteful, so I don't offer any advetising in regards to tipping.

I obviously tip my server at restaurants. I tip my tattoo artist, hair dresser.. Any "extra" things such as the Mennonites that load my hay and feed at the feed mill.. Pizza delivery drivers, even if I pick it up I always give a little something.. It makes me feel good to show my appreciation. If I am feeling extra generous / very pleased with service I will even wrap a $1 bill around a $20 or whatever, so they have a surprise: :)

I like to return the favor, I have met some very wonderful people that have made my day (customers pleased with service stopping by for a hug makes my day!) and I like to pass the joy when I can.

Terry what I meant was the owner is the one doing the work, no employees, sorry was not real clear. I had always heard, like in the case of beauticians, that it's not expected to tip the owner..(always do under certain circumstances like disneyhorse said).

There are a lot of one person beauty shops around here, like there are several one person dog groomers around here so I was wondering if I was wrong in my thinking that it's not required or expected to tip.

The last time I went (to the groomer i mentioned earlier) it was a one person home based business and the quote to do my dog was given and agreed on ahead of time, it was a little over $50. more than her standard rates posted. After reading along here I wondered if I should have given a tip. I didn't.

Well to me it doesn't matter if the person performing the service is an owner or an employee... A tip is a thanks for good service!

I don't tip people who make simple things like smoothies or coffee or ice cream sundaes... That has always seemed weird to me... But if its a lengthy service that requires some sort of skill or time I do.

I apologize if I have taken over this thread.

I am very passionate about what I do. I love hearing stories, communicating and educating.
I didn't mean that in a bad way. I was just surprised at how many people had grooming questions. Michelle, maybe you need a weekly column in a dog magazine.

I didn't mean that in a bad way. I was just surprised at how many people had grooming questions. Michelle, maybe you need a weekly column in a dog magazine.
Thanks!
I did make our company's newspaper for shaving my boss' head for the store winning a bet. :) LOL

Latest posts

Back