Dog Food would this be an acceptable alternative?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to know who "they" are before listening to what they say. Beat pulp fiber, if low on the list as it is in Nutro Ultra, is not so much a concern as beat pulp SUGAR. "People" food is also not a concern IF it's not something that's toxic to dogs such as raisins, grapes, chocolate, onions, etc. Of course, spicy or sugary foods should be avoided, as well. If your dog is not used to eating a varied diet, giving healthy tablescraps may upset his stomach, but that's something most dogs get over quickly. (A dallop of canned plain natural pumpkin can help firm up stools.) Think about it, MOST dog show people (from those involved in conformation to dog sports) use bits of cheese, liver, chicken, hotdogs, carrots, etc. as high value rewards. There are also MANY people who feed raw and homecooked meals to their dogs, and before bagged and canned "pet food" that's all they ate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mona, I too am confused about what to feed my dogs.

So far none of them have allergies but I still want to feed a good food.

I asked my vet what she feeds her dogs and she said Pro Plan.

She said it has alot of chicken in it.

When I told her I started my little Pom on Wellness dry food, she said it was a good one.

Wellness is also very exspensive and I hope i am feeding the right food too.

She also told me not to buy dog food from a grocerie store.

When I asked about Pro Plan at the Pet Food Store, the guy said he didn't recommend it because it had a lot of by products in it and way too much corn
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif

So still confused over the right kind of food I still feed Wellness and hope I am doing the right thing.

Geeze....years ago when I was young we fed all our dogs table scaps and plain old kibble aand I don't remember them having allergy's or even getting sick. They lived a long happy life.

My pups will be going off their puppy chow real soon but I don't know what to feed them without worrying.

This is the site for Wellness Mona, maybe there is http://www.petacular.com/products/Wellness...D.htmlsomething there for your pet!

Wellness is a very good food, and so are many others. It's not about feeding your dogs what someone says is "best" because there are many excellent choices out there and not every one of them is going to work for every dog. There are also many poorer quality foods to choose from (based on ingredients, not just some emotional attachment to a brand) and I see no reason to feed them, even if your dog seems to be doing well on them, because there is always a better option without all the junk.

You have to know who "they" are before listening to what they say. Beat pulp fiber, if low on the list as it is in Nutro Ultra, is not so much a concern as beat pulp SUGAR.
Thanks for addressing that Nicole. I did'nt know that.

Thanks for the link Carol, but oh my gosh, that's even MORE expensive than what I just paid!
default_new_shocked.gif
WOWZERS!

Hi Mona, I too am confused about what to feed my dogs.

So far none of them have allergies but I still want to feed a good food.

I asked my vet what she feeds her dogs and she said Pro Plan.

She said it has alot of chicken in it.

When I told her I started my little Pom on Wellness dry food, she said it was a good one.

Wellness is also very exspensive and I hope i am feeding the right food too.

She also told me not to buy dog food from a grocerie store.

When I asked about Pro Plan at the Pet Food Store, the guy said he didn't recommend it because it had a lot of by products in it and way too much corn
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif

So still confused over the right kind of food I still feed Wellness and hope I am doing the right thing.

Geeze....years ago when I was young we fed all our dogs table scaps and plain old kibble aand I don't remember them having allergy's or even getting sick. They lived a long happy life.

My pups will be going off their puppy chow real soon but I don't know what to feed them without worrying.

This is the site for Wellness Mona, maybe there is http://www.petacular.com/products/Wellness...D.htmlsomething there for your pet!

Latest posts

Back