Dog Food recipes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I remember this topic being discussed before, but I can't find the old thread. Could you all help me out? I have a couple of older dogs and have started cooking their meals to make it easier for them to digest and chew. I'm looking for new recipes. I can if need be, put hard bits into the processor to make them smaller. Right now I making chicken livers or boiled chicken, mixing into rice, broth, and adding either green beans or peas. I think my babies are getting bored with the same old, same old. Maybe I could try this recipe with beef, can't use pork as it gives them the problem, if you know what I mean. Can you suggest other proteins, sometimes I do add scrambled eggs, as I have chickens and lots of eggs, and what else can I add to liven it up?

Sweet potatoes, potatoes, pumpkin. Dried / fresh fruits like pineapple, apples, bananas. Veggies -- peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower.. Peanut butter.. Yogurt. Lean meats -- chicken, turkey, fish.. Beef, chicken stock.. Gravy..

The Honest Kitchen makes prepared dehydrated dog food that can be used alone or in addition to kibble. They have chicken, beef and meat free formula.

I personally recommend / prefer a grain free food with an uncommon protein source. Mine are currently on Earthborn Holistic, Coastal Catch (grain free) and love it. They are a huge fan if the meat free Preference formula The Honest Kitchen makes too.

From what I've read, boredom with diet is more of a human concern -- dogs and cats prefer familiarity, and their digestive systems benefit from repetition. However, I do think it is wise to cast a wide net in order to cover your dogs' dietary needs.

Actually, RICE is easy to digest for most dogs, but not all. It can be a good grain to add to things like chicken or lamb. I think beef and pork can be harder to digest. Green beans are usually well accepted and easily digest.

I cook for our dogs all the time. Right now, we don't have any with special needs, but all those dog food recalls, that included higher end brands, has worried me. I will give them our leftovers (we eat pretty healthy) in addition to what I make for them (rice, meat, green beans, often greek yogurt... ETC.)

When I was looking up dog food recipes, one thing I have repeatedly come across is a statement that a lot of the "digestive diet" dog foods are primarily rice and eggs. I make either hardboiled eggs or scrambled eggs as an ingredient in dog food often.

Our dogs get a vitamin -- for whatever that is or is not worth (I honestly don't know -- people raise kids on less than what we feed our dogs), but I'm scared not to give them those.

I make a new batch of dog food 2-3x a week and store it in a large plastic container in the fridge. I sincerely enjoy the process of making t.

Some things our dogs do NOT like are things like adding in cooked spinache or black eyed peas (some of our left overs, that they did not savor).

One of my short cuts, and I don't know how "good" it is, but I know I never heard if it putting people in the hospital (as in I am cooking for ours over dog food recall concerns) is "Great Dogs" chicken hot dogs. I stock up on those when they are on sale, slice the hot dogs longways in quarters, then slice.

Latest posts

Back