Dog breeders... Question for you please

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

When you have pups that look IDENTICAL how do you tell them apart? Say you sold pup A however he looks exactly like pup B what is safe to put on them to be able to tell them apart

I am talking about young pups here not walking around yet..

You could use those breeder's collars that are like the wristbands you get at fairs and concerts. They come in a number of collars. My border collie breeder put those on and numbered them all.

I was kinda thinking that but was afraid they could hurt themselves or get caught up in them?

I know I am very neurotic.. we have 2 that look EXACTLY alike.. one needs meds well of course at this moment it is easy to tell them apart since she is a bit wheezy but.. in a few days when she is better then what.. dont want to give the meds to the wrong dog

umm did i mention NEVER again will we have pups... dont get me wrong they are adorable and I love them but sheesh WAY more work then a foal and 5 times the worry
default_wacko.png
:

You could always paint a few toenails on one!! Also, I know known people to use a piece of different colored yarn as a collar for each pup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yarn is a good idea nice and breakable I like that. We did paint some toe nails on one but wanna have a back up plan just in case LOL

They have available, a velcro collar for just this purpose. Many colors to choose from and easily comes off if a pup is stuck.

Hi Lisa!

When I had my litter of NINE identical golden fluff balls, I just used some scissors and cut a small line of hair, about an inch long; different location for each pup. For example, Jerry, the last remaining that I have of that litter (he'll be twelve next month) was Right Hip Boy. :bgrin It's just a little mark that's needed, it can't be washed off, or tangle the pup up in any way, and will grow out (I had to re-mark my pups only twice before they left at 12 weeks). If they're slick pups, you can just clip out a little mark with a 10 blade on your horse clippers.

I would be very careful with using yarn because others could get their little toenails caught in it and then choke the puppy. Might try some food coloring if they are light colored. Would be safe and could be redone if it wears off. Goof luck, Mary

The breeder I got a pup from years ago now, used to paint a spot on the pups with paint for sheep/goats. Same as the scissor idea. She had right shoulder, left hip, etc.

You could use a spot of Blue Kote on them somewhere, just make sure it drys before you put him/her back in with the others.

Robin

They have available, a velcro collar for just this purpose. Many colors to choose from and easily comes off if a pup is stuck.

Do you know where I can get these? I have looked and looked online and not found anything

Thanks for the ideas we are currently using nail polish a couple days ago they were easier to tell apart as they were a shade different but in the past day or so they have become impossible even the pads on there feet are identical in markings with each having 2 black toes and the back pad black on the left and one toe and the back pad on the right being black same with the front ones (all black pads)

I've seen:

colored nail polish dots on the head

brick-a-brack collars

yarn collars

kitten collars w/breakaway clasps - BELL'S REMOVED!! (can be seen here: http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/cat...60506/catid/171 )

hospital-id-like collars (can be seen here: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pg...92-00b0d0204ae5 )

velcro collars (can be seen here: http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/cat...44387/catid/131 )

or even "kid collars" used (can be seen here: http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product...=104&page=1 )

Last edited by a moderator:
Tippex on the heads!!!

Dries quickly and stays amazingly well- just have a code- my pup was two dots- I'm sure that's morse code for "trouble"!!!

Thanks guys and thanks for those links the velcro ones are just perfect and we will get them for when they get to be a bit older ( I will order some tomorrow) right now they are 12 days old.

The nail polish worked for a bit but the mom keeps taking it off.
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks again guys...

Last edited:
OOPS! Sorry Lisa, I was gone and was not able to check in to give you a link for those. Glad you got one though.

Would love to see pictures of these little ones soon again too.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

You've gotten alot of great ideas. Like others thohg, I would steer clear of the yarn, too many hazards. The colored litter collars and toenail painting are the 2 ways I use to mark my pups. You could have a litter of 20 pups and a certain toenail marked for each one. If they are registerable, the registry wants to know the birth order, so I always marked mine as they were born. When someone would pay a deposit on a pup, I would write their information in a journal next to the birth order number. It always kept the confusion down.

~Karen

Latest posts

Back