dog bed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
want to make a type of snuggle dog bed for my dachshund out of a childs sleeping bag. need ideas on how to make the opening so it will stay open and not lay flat. thanks

I guess you could sew (inside the top piece) a couple/three strips of fabric that you insert some bent wires into to act as a frame to hold the top up (much like the way the pop-up tents use bent plastic tubes).

How about maybe sewing some sort of heavy ring ( kind of like they sell to make your own X Mas wreaths ) then just bend the bottom part to stay flat...not sure if it would stay standing upright though. Or if you buy a big can like the ones they sell the fancy gourmet popcorn in.....it would be about 12in tall and the opening should be plenty big enough for a daushand... cut out the bottom and sew the whole can into your fabric....almost like a little funnel tunnel he would walk in in order to get in his little sack at the end. I DO NOT sew so I may be way outta my league here...sorry. Let us see how it comes out what ever you try!!

Dog Bed Ideas for Medium/ Big size dogs. we have struggled and struggled finding the right dog bed for our dogs and finally one day, I thought, why not buy a baby bed mattress. I went to our huge store- American Furniture warehouse and picked up a Posture Pedic Baby bed mattress for like $29 on clearance. It measures 48 inches long, 28 inches wide and 6 inches thick. this is gonna last forever, we just bought baby bed fitted sheets and then threw a comforter on top, our dog loves it, no sore spots on her shoulders anymore.

You must know how to sew if you are tackling this project....... I once made a "play tent" for my son and I took a piece of foam packing or stuffing material, it was dense but could be bended and handled pretty easily. Covered that in a pillow case type manner leaving 2 inches or so on each end--stitched it in place in a half circular manner and then stitched it in place on the base of the tent bringing the top over the half circle of foam and you have an entrance. The foam packing material will stay in place and last a long time......but it does take some thought.

Good luck....

Back