Does your horse have chestnuts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
So I was busy doing a really terrible clip job for our show debut and I noticed something on my mare's leg. Or rather something not on her legs. She has no chestnuts. And a really bad clip job besides. But seriously, I have never seen that before, is it a mini thing?

I have a couple that are missing chestnuts on their back legs; but have them on their fronts. Can't recall if I've seen it in full size horses or not.

I knew my horse couldn't be the only one! She is missing all 4 with no spots for them to go. Google says Caspian horses don't have any, and they are a tiny horse.

Lucky you!
Midnight has large ones. I put vaseline on them, and the next day am able to peel them off. My farrier won't do them.

Wow! You can peel them right off? I only recall them on my big guys and at very different amounts. I'll have to check the minis closer. They're so harry it's hard to tell sometimes. :)

Both of our mini's have all 4 chestnuts, they are really small though, especially on their back legs. So we don't mess with them at all.

Both of mine have all of them I believe. I just adopted two new ones (they haven’t come home yet) and I didn’t check when I went to see them, but now looking at photos from the summer, they both have them on at least their fronts :)

Back