Does this look right??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
Tell me what you think please. When he was born his fetlocks were sitting on the ground all the time. Now they look like this. Is that normal??

june4006.jpg

june4008.jpg

june4007.jpg

Just for the cuteness factor!

june4013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To me his legs look good now. However because of being down on his fetlocks it has messed with the way his hooves grow. Some corrective farrier work and he should be fine.

His legs appear normal, but his hooves are way over grown and not at the right angle (his heels being so long have forced them to grow forward and probably are curling inside). It may take several trims to fix it and they could be done 2 or so weeks apart then stay on top of the trims.

He's a pretrty colt!

Charlotte

I agree he looks post legged, but how much of that is due to the incorrect angles down in his feet? Picture his hoof angle being correct once his feet are trimmed correctly and think of the difference it would make going up the leg.

Charlotte

He needs some hoof trimming. And because he was down early on he may need trimming a little more often over the next few months.....

I don't know... I had a filly like that and I wanted to make sure her tendons and inner structures grew/matured/strengthened correctly.

Here are some pictures I had taken of her corrective glue-on shoes:

Trixiebefore2.jpg

trixieafter1.jpg

They were little tiny bits of a wedge pad. You can see the hoof angle lined up better with the pastern angle... and she needed just a couple months of this until she grew strong in the right direction. She was trimmed every three weeks.

These were hind legs, by the way, on a Shetland pony filly.

Andrea

Briar's feet were like that, exactly! She was trimmed every 2 or 3 weeks to correct it. Her toes would grow out and "tube". Her tendons were never lax, it was just her hooves/heels. They corrected beautifully. With something like that, you just need good trimming and done often.

I agree you need to have his feet taken care of. I was going to suggest what disneyhorse had posted. You need to correct the angle to get the tendons to tighten up so he will resume a natural angle. I would act fast and get it taken care of quickly, because the longer you wait his feet may suffer the consequences.

I am glad that someone had the gumption to openly mention the postleggedness in the rear.From the photos, it also appears to me that there is some enlargement of the right hock,notably toward the front of the joint.

I certainly agree about the need for proper and frequent hoof trimming; do you have a knowledgeable farrier? The little 'extended heel trailer' glue ons look good; there is also a more 'old-fashioned' way using half a strap hinge--ask your vet or good farrier about it!I have had several over time who had a similar issue w/being 'down' on underrun heels behind, , where the toe was almost off the ground(though not to include a 'postleggedness); on advice of good vet and good farrier, I did some corrective things myself,but won't go into detail, as it was something that I believe most owners should not try to do themselves.

I can't opine whether or not the postleggedness is a 'result' of the long toes, underrun heels of the hinds, though I imagine these things don't help! If it were me, I might be having a vet who KNOWS proper conformation(not all vets do, in my experience)evalulate the hind legs. JMHO.

He's a cute little guy; should have intervention ASAP for the best chance at a sound future.Good luck and good wishes,

Margo

I don't know... I had a filly like that and I wanted to make sure her tendons and inner structures grew/matured/strengthened correctly.

Here are some pictures I had taken of her corrective glue-on shoes:

Trixiebefore2.jpg

trixieafter1.jpg

They were little tiny bits of a wedge pad. You can see the hoof angle lined up better with the pastern angle... and she needed just a couple months of this until she grew strong in the right direction. She was trimmed every three weeks.

These were hind legs, by the way, on a Shetland pony filly.

Andrea

Could you pm me the pics of the corrective work. I have a feealin my farrier could use this info.

Here he is at a different angle.

May252010037.jpg

Does he still look post legged?
Look at the back leg on the far side. Not only is it way to straight it almost bends forwards. It shouldn't be able to become that straight so my answer to you is "yes" he is still post legged. Like others have suggested - get hold of a good vet and farrier to see what they can do to help.

Thanks for all your answers. He has seen the farrier only once so far but he is scheduled fo next week for the big horses so I will have him get trimmed again. The vet was out on the 28th but didn't say anything other than he needs another trim to get him back up. Nothing about post legged. He was over due by 3 weeks and that didn't help matters because when he was born his hoofs were very long then so we have been cutting back and I have been filing in between. He had his first trim at 2.5 weeks and next at 6.5 weeks so I will have to have him in sooner I guess next time. You think more like 2-3 weeks with me filing in between??

I would watch him for stifle issues in the future too. You can hear "popping" and/or "clicking" in the joint and the horse will suddenly "snap" the leg forward seemingly violently with a step forward in the rear and/or get to where bending the joint to step forward in the rear becomes impossible for him. He probably needs a lot of turn out time (and no or very little stall time) his entire life.

Latest posts

Back