Does this look like a good starter harness?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Reaction score
I am happy to say that I found a driving coach in my area! I haven't contacted her yet as it's much too early, but in the spring when the snow is gone, I will. So I've started browsing around for a harness. I don't plan on showing, at least not for a long while, so I just want something that's comfortable and practical. There is a mini tack store that is close and they have a pleasure harness that looks nice. It's leather and Amish made. It comes with cavesson, martingale, side-check, over-check, removable breeching & a fuzzy pad for under the saddle. It's only $450 which seems like a good deal. It would be great if this one works as I it would be so easy to pick it up instead of having to ship it.

Here's the link: http://www.tackforminiatures.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=HARNESS_AND_ACCESSORIE#img

(It's the 2nd, 4th and 5th picture. If you click on them they enlarge.)

I also have a question about bits. I'm leaning towards a french link snaffle, and they sell them at this store. Do you think this is a good choice?

Thanks!
default_smile.png

Looks like a good starter harness. I personally prefer the French link half-cheek driving bits, they seem to fit small mouths better with less nutcracker action and the middle of the bit hitting the roof of the mouth.

If you google Ron's harness you might like that one better. I know the name changed to Amberhill something but it still comes up under Ron's

Thank you romewhip and happy appy!

Do you think it would be worth spending the money on a higher end harness in the beginning? They have a carriage harness that is beautiful and a step up from the pleasure harness. It has round blinkers which I LOVE! It's $850 but I really like it. I also like that it just comes with a side-check rather than an overcheck and martingale, as I will probably never use an overcheck or martingale and I don't want to pay for one. It will take longer to save for though...

"The harness comes complete with breeching (removable) side-check & cavesson. The backsaddle is slightly wider with

more padding, the breast piece is also wider with a gentle shaping for comfort. The harness has wrap straps, buckle in traces and the lines are a solid dark brown."
Here's the link: http://www.tackforminiatures.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=CARRIAGE_HARNESS#img

What about the Camptown Sport Harness? Does anyone have experience with this harness and is it worth the price? It look really comfy and I like the ease of the synthetic.

What about the Camptown Sport Harness? Does anyone have experience with this harness and is it worth the price? It look really comfy and I like the ease of the synthetic.
I love both of my Camptowns. My show harness is brass/patent with the regular freedom curved collar, and my everyday and marathon harness has stainless fittings and the new breastcollar design that reduces neckstrap pressure, plus a custom saddle for my narrow, high-withered mare. I upgraded to a sliding backband saddle for both harnesses as well. Having gone through many other brands and styles of harness, I highly recommend Camptown harnesses
default_smile.png

A higher end harness will last longer, fit better, and retain resale value if you take good care of it. Spend as much as you can on a harness, even if it's a starter harness.

Make sure whatever harness you get if you intend to hook your horse up with it that it has a gap for the spine on the harness saddle. without this gap it puts a lot of pressure on the horse's spine and can cause sores. Have fun finding your harness.
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I think I've moved past the less expensive pleasure harness for now, as I really want to get the best that I can. I may go back to it though as I keep going back and forth. I have lots of time to decide as I won't be taking lessons till May, and even then I won't be working with Breaker. I'm really excited though, because in June I get to take part in a three-day clinic at the driving coach's farm! I will use one of her lesson horses for driving and there will also be lessons on choosing a harness and bit so I'm sure that will also help with my decision on a harness.

That is so cool, Jenny. I may have found a driving coach in my area. I have to get his phone #. Lessons near me would be so awesome.

Back