Does everyone showing use

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini_Bre said:
I always shave with a 30 blade on the body. In fact I just finished clipping my halter horse today with a 30, however he doesn't show for 4 more days so he has a little time to grow out and get some color in but he will still appear "slick". I believe clipping closer also helps the judge see the horses muscle tone much better and it make them appear much "tighter". And please don't bash those who clip closely we are not harming our horses and I know we sure don't intend to. 
smile.gif

Breanne

443770[/snapback]

I am sorry everyone, but I have to agree with Bre on this one. You guys are being quite rude on this subject. Its all based on peoples personal preferance. I clip Peanut with a 30 against the grain. I can't wait to hear the flames for that one. For the record, he looks AMAZING clipped with a 30 against the grain. If I owned a 40, I would use that even! Although I don't. I am the person that clips short, and razors eyes and muzzle. I am also going to try and razor the insides of my horses ears for nationals, if I can't get their hair down low enough.

You should see Bre's horses. They are ALWAYS clipped like this and they look amazing! Yes, I think you can see their muscle tone a lot better. In our club, you almost get laughed at if you don't clip, and we don't really place if we don't razor our horses.

blueprintminis said:
Sue_C. said:
wacko.gif
  I just, seriously, do NOT understand the "need" to skin our horses. Perhaps "we" need to develop a hairless horse; like the hairless cats and dogs that have been "manufactured" in years past.
thumbdown.gif

IMHO(honest opinion, not humble, in this case) 
rolleyes.gif
a #10 is more than enough for a body clip. Enough is enough already!!

torch.gif

torch.gif

443762[/snapback]

I agree. I just returned from the Eastern Championship show. I had clipped my horses, body and legs, with a 15 and faces with a 30. Previously I had always used 10 on the body and 15 on the face and legs. Even with the 15 on the body, my horses looked "fuzzy" compared to the others. Maybe next year I'll just use Nair on the entire horse and "beat" everybody!!!!! (Just kidding about the nair.)

444287[/snapback]

Laura...your horses looked marvelous! Immaculately groomed & still had deep, rich color!
yes.gif
I prefer that than some of the "extremes" I saw there.

I think what worries "some of us"....is that what we do to our horses to "enhance" the way they look for showing, never seems to be enough.
unsure.gif

It started out by showing in natural coats.

Then someone started body clipping them....maybe with a #7 or #10 blade.

That was good enough to win...."then".

Then the "close" clipping on the muzzle and above the eyes began.

Hmmmmm....that looks good...but wouldn't it look better if we "highlighted" with black makeup!

That was good enough for the judges "then".

Cool! Lets remove all the hair from the inside of the ears & fill them with vasaline!

Ok...got em looking pretty good now.

That was good enough to win...."then".

Competition raises the bar & starts body clipping with #15s & "razoring" the muzzle. So...others follow....and it becomes "expected" in the showring.

That's not good enough....lets razor all the way up to the eyes & cover with gel to make them SHINE, and remove the eyelashes to make the eyes look even bigger!

Now....clipping is being done with #30s & sometimes even closer.
sad.gif

I don't care WHAT reasoning people may use....it's a simple fact that the "current trend" is never enough, and history has shown it WILL progress to yet another trend (usually more "extreme" & often not in the best interest of the horse) all for the sake of glory in the showring. When will it stop? It won't, as long as judges continue to place the new, and more exteme trends.

Moderation is good.....extremes aren't.
no.gif
Just my honest "observations" over the years.
sad.gif

minicount said:
Saw this coming a mile away.
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Hop down off the high horse.  If you don't like the look fine, don't even care that you say you don't like the look but really people using words like "skinnning" is just trying to start a fight.
poke.gif

444313[/snapback]

BORING (BIG YAWN) AND SOOOOOO PREDICTABLE! Also saw this coming.
rolleyes.gif
Why do people always have to veer off someones simple question to start a Whoop De Doo Flame Fest over something just because they do not like it??????????????

The question was what blades do you use. Can't anyone just answer the questions? And yes, state your opinions........but I also don't see any of the people that clip in 30's calling the people that clip in 10's stupid either.
no.gif

Again, you don't like it don't do it..........but leave the others alone who do. It is neither harmful or abusive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a #10 most of the time, do the head in a #15 and use a #30 or #40 for the muzzle and above eyes and ears.

I shaved my boy's muzzle for several shows last year, including the Nationals, and I do believe it improved his "look", however I did find it a pain in the butt, as it is tedious to do, and grows back so quickly that it must be done the day before, or on the morning, and I have enough other stuff to do then!
rolleyes.gif

I did once use a #15 on the body, and #30 the head...what I really love is his rich natural summer coat.

I think most NZers would use a #10 for body clipping, some don't clip at all and their horses have beautiful sleek coats.

Hi all,

I've read this board for a number of years, and always enjoyed the replies that an open question like this can get!

My question to you would be, where are your showing?

If you are going to a fun, all breed, or small local show this time of year most horses will look great in an unclipped natural coat with some touchups. In fact the mini club here asks that all horses be brought to our fun shows unclipped.

For a driving horse I don't clip any closer than a #15. And that would be for a Championship/National level show. I would let the size and importance of the show tell me how far to go with grooming.

Even at large (150+ horses entered) shows I will usually touch up the face with a closer blade, but the bodies on my driving horses will be natural or #10.

Just as I wouldn't wear jeans and a T-shirt to a formal attire party, I wouldn't wear a formal to go out and "play". Do whatever you think will make your horse look best, but also consider what "type" of event you are going to. A horse groomed to go in for National Grand Champion would be (beautiful of course
smile.gif
) but a little "overdressed" for a local event.

I'm not saying that my way is the only right way, just that it works for me. Some of my time best spend at shows has been sitting in a tack stall watching someone else groom and learning.

-Note - If you do decide to go with a closer blade for clipping please remember to give your horse protection from the sun and insects until his coat grows out!

Colleen

I just want to add that I do not use a 30 blade except on part of the face.. I clip all my horses with a 10 and then there are some that get clipped with a 15.

I use a 30 ,40, & 50 on their heads . I was just at Congress the National show for Shetlands, and I only clipped them with a 10 on their bodies the week before the show.. I won 6 Congress Grand Championships in their respective halter divisions.. So the saying you have to clip with a 30 to win is Out !!!

Now I would like to say as a Judge I can tell if a good horse is a good horse or if it is a bad horse with the hair on him or off..!! As long as the horse and exhibitor come into the ring with a neat and clean look , that is all it takes the judges can see the confirmation of the horse without it being clipped with a 30 or even a 15.. And I have judged with more judges this year that say over and over how much they Dislike the razoring and all the oil dripping from the faces

The horses do need some sort of a hair coat . Just think if how it feels when Our hair on our legs and (men the hair on your face ) feels when it starts growing out !! It is itchy .. so when we shave these horses with a 30 or 40 all over it has to be itchy when it grows out..

Ok sorry so long.. THanks for letting put my two cents in.. This is just my opinon !!

I totally agree that it is up to the individual to decide which blade they want to clip with :)

But after reading this thread to this point, I just want to say where I live it is hard enough on mine to be clipped with a 10!! And they have to be blanketed for weeks at night....... not from the sun and bugs....... but from the cold........ and yes even in July! :)

Also I wanted to say Thanks Belinda, for letting us know how some of the judges are feeling. That is good to hear first hand from you as a judge........ and actually refreshing to me to know they are not ALL fans of the razoring and dripping oil.

Also it is great to hear about your wins with body clipping with a 10. :)

Again this is only my opinion and not meant to be rude to anyone. :)

Susan O.

hi belinda

im so glad you said that! i had a great time at congress watching you win with your beautiful ponies. We had another judge come on here last year and also said the same thing. Stop with all the makeup and razoring!! A great horse is a great horse wether you clip with a 10 or a 30. My thing is to always try to balance showing with what is best for the horse.

if someone wants to use a 30 or 40 that is their decision and i would never call them stupid etc. Im just saying you dont HAVE to do it to win

then again this has been debated on here over and over for years LOL.

And the original question of the post was should i clip this horse with a 30 or 40. My opinion is no you should not. He looks great and colorful with the 10!!

Belinda said:
Dislike the razoring and all the oil dripping from the faces 

444455[/snapback]

I must say that I have never seen a horse with oil dripping down their face, but that does sound unattractive!
new_shocked.gif

I think it is a personal preference what you use to clip your horses with. I have up until this year used a #10 only, but most of my horses I have shown have had alot of white on them or all white. This year I started using a #15 on the body of two of our show horses, a very dark bay and a silver grulla. I also have to clip several days before the show, since I work full time I just can not fit all the chores needed for a show in the day before. Each horse is different in coats and you have to take that into consideration. The silver grulla has a VERY THICK wirey coat and the only way to produce a shine to him is with a very short cut. A #15 the day before showing if at all possible which doesn't happen unless the show is close.
rolleyes.gif
As far as razoring the nose and above the eyes (no eyelashes), I am a recent convert. I never really cared for the look until I had two horses that when it was tried on them
wub.gif
I fell in love. Not every horse looks good razored.

I do know it would make life alot easier if we didn't have to body clip before each show, but I do think they look very pretty in their pampered state.
yes.gif

Bravo Belinda
aktion033.gif
I SO much agree with you. Another judge that I know really well
biggrin.gif
also dislikes the makeup and dripping oil. Doesn't think folks need to clip so close...a good judge can tell a good horse, short clip or not. However, this same judge has placed razored horses (which he doesn't like done) and I have asked...why did you place THAT horse? His answer..."he/she was the best horse out there." And that's the way he judges
yes.gif

Pam

Feather~ Please do not try to razor ther ears. ONe little nick and they will bleed like crazy not to mention Ouch for them!

I seen you ask before how to get the black color on your horse and the red on your other. Well clipping with a 30 has to be a big reason why you dont have your color.

We use a 15 max on the body, 10 for local shows and 30-50 on faces. We're a house divided on razoring - my son loves it, I think if I wanted to show model (breyers) I'd do that! So some we razor some we don't.

I've been waiting for the first horse in the ring without a forelock seeing as how they're getting skinnier and slicked down into invisible.

Thanks for the input Belinda - it's nice to know some judges dislike the overdone look and can see the horse without the extreme clip jobs.

Wow, have I ever learned a lot from this thread. My husband and I read each and every comment and we have come to a decision, based on your knowledge and expertice. If it was a local show we would use a 10 but since its nationals we will take a little step and clip with a 15, with under belly at at 30 , ears , head with a 30 with a 40 tapering down to a 50 on the muzzel . We will bald the nose which we both hate but have accepted the fact that especially in the stallion class you have to do it to be competitive. He only has 2 halter classes and will be driving a lot . I really would like for him to have a little hair between him and the harness. We have decided to wait until we get there to clip also . We usually clip before we go to the show but this show is so long his hair will grow back before the second week. I really appreciate your input on this and am as always when I need an answere to a question, just simpley amazed at the knowledge on this forum. Such diversity in the ways we do things but they all add up to the enjoyment of these wonderful little ones. Thank you all so much. Look for us at nationals. We will be the old couple with the one horse , wandering around like we don't know what we are doing. That will be the case. LOL
biggrin.gif
If you see us doing someting really stupid please stop us.!!!
new_shocked.gif
Thanks again Maryann

They are not old and they do know what they are doing. Don't let her fool you. But sure looking forward to being at Nationals with you guys too. Our first and hopefully will be lots of fun.

Wow minimom you are back . Thank goodness. Looking so forward to spending some time with you at nationls. I was hopeing you could show me the ropes. WE are so looking forward to it but I have butterflys just thinking about it. Short and Sassy is coming with us . Maybe she can keep us out of trouble.
aktion033.gif
See ya soon. Maryann

My first time I showed this year I clipped them with a 10. The judges told me that I need to cut closer.

So I've had much better success and I have to agree the solid color horses looked good with a 30 and the horses with alot of white a 15. IMO 30 isn't razoring or shaving a horse. I agree if you clip any closer than a 15 they need some type of protection until they grow there hair back but it isn't close down to the skin. With faces white heads get 15 or 10 period, solid color heads 40 on the nose and around the eyes and 30 everywhere else.

I am sure alot of people disagree with me but this is just my personal opinion and my horses are protected and stalled until they get there hair grown back. We have no problems here and no sun burns.

Latest posts

Back