Does everybody show/breed here?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
I have to say you all are inspiring with your show stories and breeding adventures, but I don't show the mini's and I've never bred a horse so I feel out of the loop sometimes (LOL, by choice though! I'm not up for all that work you guys do!).

I'm just curious.

Oh, also, our mini's here are on the fat side
unsure.gif
compared to all your trim and svelte show ponies...I'm reluctant to post pictures for fear of getting a lecture!
biggrin.gif

Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not show either. Mine are for my pleasure. They pull a cart and participate in various community events. They are also a little on the plump side. Of course, I'll bet everybody's horses appear to have shorter legs these days! What do you do with your miniatures? I'm glad there are breeders, though,or I wouldn't have mine!

Marsha

[SIZE=14pt]Tracy, you wont get a lecture unless you ask what to do to make them show horses...... let us see your babies too. dont be intimidated by us we really arent ogres. I have one horse that wont ever see the show ring too![/SIZE]

Lyn

I don't show. Don't have the time as of yet. Will be breeding my stallion and mare this spring. Spending the winter reading up on the whole thing.

Don't worry about them being fat. Several around here just want their minis to be happy pets. I have one that is unregistered but he is my favorite as he is very good around young and old horses and has a personality of his own. Don't worry about what others do and just keep those minis happy and healthy.
yes.gif

I have only been showing and breeding for a couple of years. But I have 2 out of my 7 horses will never see a show ring either but I love them all just the same. Very spoiled they are. hahahahah Just the way I like them.

Darn, if I had this picture posting thing down, you'd see a picture of a snoozing mini... with his belly.. showing a wee too much.. lol..

Nope.. don't show... don't breed... but.. I know... in 2007... we're probably have our first foal... (Mare is coming to us bred... lol) Then in 2009... we're going to try and breed the mare for the last time... So.. if I live long enough..... and get old enough.. and all goes well...

we might have a foal someday... Lol.. Nope.. you're not alone...

God Bless,

Lynn W

I don't show, nor breed. I would like to do alittle showing someday, just some open stuff, but I work every weekend and all shows are normally during the weekend.

My minis are glorified lawn ornaments...and they are fat!

I have shown Don't anymore for reasons.. Don't breed anymore Just want to have a pet to play with and have fun with here and let it be.. Just have fun at home with them and have companionship.

Don't be afraid--- you won't get no lecture out of me!

I don't show. Been there with quarter horses and just don't need it anymore to fulfill my very common life.

If I do it's strictly for fun and nothing else.

I don't follow fads nor jump on bangwagons in haste. I prefer to just do my thing with my horses the way I please and if anyone doesn't approve, well that's just their problem cause we are very happy the way we are.

I'm not a "breeder" persay, but I do have one foal and he's hillareous and gorgeous and beginning to be a pill.

My horses are fat too, healthy and fat.

Let's see your horses and don't worry about it.

Hi Tracy,

I am hoping to show next year, but it will most likely be local fun shows for my children. We have three minis that we just got this summer. They were weanlings when we got them. LOVE THEM. Each of my three kids has claimed one to show, although my three year old says they are all her horses.

We also hope to breed when the girls are old enough. That won't be for a couple of years, though.

If it were just ME, I'd be perfectly happy with three little lawn ornaments, but we went to a show and now the kids want to try it, and you know how that is....

Right now mine are all RED from rolling around in some red clay mud that got exposed when I had some work done. I wonder if they will be stiff when they dry?

Enjoy your minis. They are blessings!

Stacye

OK, I do both--show and breed. The thing is, I have a couple that are just for fun. Their only purpose on this farm is to look cute and make people happy. They are geldings and yes, they tend to get a little fatter (OK maybe WAY fatter) than the rest, but that is because they are so loved (or should I say spoiled
laugh.gif
)

Please show us your little ones. I don't think anyone here would say a word unless you asked for an opinion.--Don't ask for what you don't really want.
laugh.gif

Angie

I use to try to show and tried to breed but dont think I did very well at either lol but have since sold all my miniatures but still love to look and see what is going on and talk to everyone about their babies and how they all are. That is how I get my miniature fixes is to see everyone elses and all the new babies. Have to say though if ever given the chance to own a miniature again I will not take it so much for granite and just learn to love and appreicate them.

I show a little. When i got my first mini, i had no thought at all about showing ...just loving Coco to death and having some good old mini companionship. But i did get caught up with all of this stuff and did a little showing last summer. Just a couple ..nothing fancy. Im hoping this year will be my 'big break' and i can move up in showing a bit.

Most my mini's are not even registered ..see no point to it unless im planning to show. A mini horse is a mini horse no matter how long his name is or how many shows his sire or dam won, thats just me though.

We dont breed really, we have a mare in foal right now but we bought her that way ...it will be our first mini foal. Then in a couple years were going to breed one of our stallions to her. Dont plan on selling the foal. Our second foal though is going to my brothers son as his first pony ..he should be 6 by then.

So no, your not the only one ..there are many on here that i know of who are in it just for the pleasure.

Leeana

I do both, show and breed, but I sure didn't when I first got into miniatures. My first mini was just for fun, for me and my kids to enjoy, and we sure did. I got into breeding before I got into showing, and I thought for the longest time that I wouldn't enjoy showing (had a trainer doing that for me, and one of my daughters) but I got hooked.

But by no means does one NEED to breed or show to "belong" here. Over half the year I am NOT showing; I love my horses just because, and if I never stepped into a show ring again, I'd love my horses just as much as I ever have.

Miniatures have multitudes of uses, far beyond breeding and showing!!
yes.gif

I don't show, nor will I ever breed. My 2 minis are my THERAPY. There is nothing more relaxing than to walk out into the pasture, and get nearly run over by 2 fat wooly mammoth's wanting to be loved & rubbed on.

Just because you may have a mini that is not registered, or does not have perfect conformation, or is rolly polly fat, does not mean that they are any less special than a national or world champion (or whatever titles there are out there
wacko.gif
)!

I'll put it this way ..

Some people say im crazy but ..if you put Coco and Buckeroo in a room together and told me i can take only one home .......Coco would be coming home with ME!

This forum is not all about showing and all that stuff, thankfully because that would get boring after the first year or two
biggrin.gif

Leeana

I show....don't breed...and right now my boys are fuzz-ball pasture potatoes!! Oh wait until tomorrow, we're in for a winter snowstorm tonight. They're fat and fuzzy little yaks....can't see them under all that hair...literally!!!
new_shocked.gif
laugh.gif

The best thing for each horse and each owner is the BEST thing to do. In other words every person (and every horse) has to find the right niche.

I have one old show veteran that we bought as a first mini. He was a total lawn ornament when he came here; overweight and out of shape. I took pounds off and exercised him and put him back to work. Some were shocked that I'd do this to a 16 yr old horse. He seemed to light up at the show when we went in obstacle driving and he took 2nds and 1sts at the shows against horses that were much younger. He looked at those cones and just took over the controls and whipped through. I think if he could have talked he'd have been boasting! He doesn't do good at any other classes so I don't bother to take him now and he almost seems sad to be left behind.

I also have a streamlined stud that's really good looking and has taken many firsts in halter but he's so layed back that I don't think he'll do any good at much of anything else. He likes to stand and strut and breed of course. So he'll probably end up doing what he's good at.

I love the spotlight that's why I show. Everybody has to do what they are good at and feel comfortable with. So post away. Not all of us are judgmental but be prepared to shrug off the ones that are. That's life.

I love showing I got hooked ive only been to a few shows but have done well and had a lot of fun doing it. I love the atmosphere and people (well the majority of them) I never played sports or had a real hobby when I was a kid id always be hanging out with my pets, animals have always been my life.

So when I got my own property I decided to get a mini (ive got 2 now) and when I found her she was already doing showing so I decided to give it a go so now that is my hobby. Its not all about winning for me (yes a ribbon is always nice) its more getting out and about and spending time with my fillies. If they couldnt do it anymore for any reason then oh well. They are first and foremost my babies
wub.gif
showing is just a fun plus. As for breeding my pinto will go into foal next season and regardless I will keep the foal, I will eventually breed one or two more and keep them all as pets and for showing aswell.

And yes my girls are a little bit chunky right now (our show season just finished here.)

Would love to see pics of your minis
yes.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back