DOES EVERYBODY DO THIS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
BOUGHT A BLACK MARE THIS WEEKEND AT KOBECK SALE IN TENN THAT WAS SOLD AS BRED TO A BLACK APP STUD. WHEN I GOT SOME NICE PERSON ON THIS SITE TO LOOK UP THE STUD INFO WAS TOLD THE STUD WAS A SOLID SORRELL FORM BOTH SOLID SORRELL PARENTS! DOES THIS HAPPEN AT ALL SALES? GUESS YOU CAN FIGURE OUT I HAVEN'T BEEN BUYING MINIS FOR VERY LONG. IS IT BETTER NOT TO BUY AT SALES?

I am so very sorry you weren't told the truth at the sale. Unfortunately, going to auctions is very much "buyer beware"!! Yes, sometimes you can get cheaper prices at an auction, but you might not necessarily get what you're paying for. If I were you and in the market for another mini, I would definitely look at mini breeders listed on the Breeders Connect page of LB. There are lots of good, honest folks listed on there. If in doubt, ask them for references from prior buyers and see what those buyers have to say about the breeder. Or if you have a mentor or someone who's been involved in minis for awhile, ask them their opinion of a farm or horse you're interested in. I truly wish when I was first starting out that I had known about LB or knew someone who could point me down the right path as I made mistakes starting out as so many have.

I am sorry to hear that you were wronged, but that is the risk that comes with buyer from an auction. When you really do not get the chance to meet the seller face to face and chat, exept maybe 5 or 10 minutes pre the horse going through the ring ...what is wrote down on that peice of paper is all you have to go by.

I know so many people who say there is a small circle of people they will actually buy from. So far, most of the people i have bought from / sold to; i have remained good friends with and keep in contact or were people i knew before hand.

My issue with sales is you always feel pressured to buy ...its almost as if you walk in with a mindset of "i must leave here with a horse". When in reality, if you were sitting at home infront of the computer and you see 'that horse' listed for sale on a website ...would you buy it then? I guess that is how i try to think of it. I have not bought from a sale in a lonnnng time.

Take a look at some breeders websites on here ..there are many responsible breeders and owners here that are honest and trustworthy and TAKE PRIDE in their work
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
BOUGHT A BLACK MARE THIS WEEKEND AT KOBECK SALE IN TENN THAT WAS SOLD AS BRED TO A BLACK APP STUD. WHEN I GOT SOME NICE PERSON ON THIS SITE TO LOOK UP THE STUD INFO WAS TOLD THE STUD WAS A SOLID SORRELL FORM BOTH SOLID SORRELL PARENTS! DOES THIS HAPPEN AT ALL SALES? GUESS YOU CAN FIGURE OUT I HAVEN'T BEEN BUYING MINIS FOR VERY LONG. IS IT BETTER NOT TO BUY AT SALES?
I am so sorry that you got caught. I am the one who looked it up for you.

Sales are the worst place for you to go to start buying Mini's. People will say anthing to get a sale. Even that the mare was bred. Did they have a vet certificate indicating she was vet checked in foal? My guess is that she may not be. If they just said exposed, then she probably is not in foal.

You are much better off buying from a reputable breeder. You may pay more than what you would at an auction, but then you have some recourse and a better chance of having something nicer.

Many of these horses that go to these auctions are of a pooer quality, or can not be bred or can not carry a foal to term.

I would contact the sale and inform them of the lie. Perhaps there may be some recourse there, but probably not. Get the name and phone number of the person who was selling the mare and give them a call.

But the best that I can say, is to not buy from an auction, but to buy from a reputable breeder. (I say reputable, because not all breeders will be that way and you could still get stuck)

Do not judge all breeders this way. There are many really nice, great, reputable breeders out there. Jut check out some web sites of people on this forum.

I agree with Riverdance- that pretty much sums it up. Sorry to hear you got stuck this way.....

Hmmm, if they were not truthful about that, wonder what else...?

[SIZE=12pt]I'll count you lucky if the mare you bought is actually a viable broodmare at all...
default_sad.png
It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen too often.[/SIZE]

Sometimes, or actually often, horses are registered with a wrong color ... especially with the appies that often fool you about their color for years :DOH! Maybe you should contact the seller to clarify things, if that's possible?

I just wanted to add, when I read your post, I thought, " with an appy, who knows" . I have a black broodmare, ( to clarify, a smokey black) that is registered as a buckskin. Now this mare is as black as black can be, no brown to her at all, sire is also a black ( although he is by Fishers Master Mickey, a palomino) and her dam is also black. So when i bought her I questioned how could she be reg. buckskin and not show ANY signs, but then I thought she is smokey black and has blackened up as a five year old. So maybe, just maybe that appy was born with no real characteristics, and appeared red, and now he is blackened up to the point where that owner considers him black, and maybe he has colored up over time.

If you do go to a sale, I go to ones with a catalog online beforehand and try to look up all I might be interested in before I go.

Sales are always "buyer beware". I have been "gotten" at sales by some and I have made some nice purchases too. Buying a horse is like buying on the Stock Market. Do your research beforehand. There are bargains out there and there are lemons too.

Over the years I much prefer buying (and selling) to individuals rather than sales.

Oh brother, I'm sorry to hear this. The auctions are full of minis for dirt cheap at the moment; it's a shame.

You can look at it this way: You may have just saved one from a terrible fate. I hope she works out for you.

My mottos are:

Buyer Beware

Seller Beware

Along the lines of what Tracy said, I have an appy who was registered as a sorrel, as a yearling was a roan and now is white with spots. So IMHO it IS possible that your mare was bred to an appy. Are there any appys shown in his bloodline on his papers?

That's Kitty in my avatar....the close-up head-shot with the red nose band on her halter. As you can see she certainly isn't sorrel.

I just wanted to add, when I read your post, I thought, " with an appy, who knows" . I have a black broodmare, ( to clarify, a smokey black) that is registered as a buckskin. Now this mare is as black as black can be, no brown to her at all, sire is also a black ( although he is by Fishers Master Mickey, a palomino) and her dam is also black. So when i bought her I questioned how could she be reg. buckskin and not show ANY signs, but then I thought she is smokey black and has blackened up as a five year old. So maybe, just maybe that appy was born with no real characteristics, and appeared red, and now he is blackened up to the point where that owner considers him black, and maybe he has colored up over time.

Actually, both of his parents are Sorrel/Chestnut and so are their parents. No Appy in any of their backgrounds, nor has he produced any appys, all sorrels except for one bay. Unfortunatly, there is no mistaking this sire for a black Appy.

sorry for your experiance with mini people

fortunately almost all of the ones i have delt with have been wonderful

(auction purchases are the only reason for the almost!)

as noted by previous posters, auctions are THE WORST place to buy horses

especially if you do not know what you are looking at or who you are buying from!!

i treat auction purchases as gambles

and that is even after checking the backgrounds of the horses that i intend to bid on!

you can use the sale catalog and online stud book to reference horses at the bigger sales

they release the sales list beforehand in most cases

I am going to throw a diffenent twist into this. I have bought several horses at auctions (tho ones with online catalogs) and have been VERY HAPPY with all of them so far. However, I research extensively ahead of time. I don't usually just show up and buy what catches my eye. That said, it is true that many are taken to auction because they are culls of some sort, but not all. It is also possible that someone just misspoke regarding the stallion and it was not a deliberate lie. When you have a seller (who may be selling due to health or other extenuating circumstances) who may have more than one stallion, someone else who types and prints the catalog, and an auctioneer making anouncements, there is lots of opportunity to misspeak. That is why it is SO important to be sure you research. Auction purchases are indeed a gamble, but if you do your homework, that gamble can pay off.

Contact the auction and ask for contact information on the seller and try to find out directly. I really hate to hear people accused of telling lies until it is sure. There is an old saying, "I am relatively sure that what you think you heard is not at all what I am sure I said."
default_wink.png

Not that this helps you out any but I have found that when I look for a horse to buy particularly a mare. I think do I really love this mare by herself. So if for some reason this mare comes up open then I wont be disappointed and if the mare has a foal well then that is icing on the cake. I will never buy a mare just because she is bred to so and so. So many things can happen and I will not ever pay a fortune for one because of it either. Even if the mare is bred so many things can happen. To me the mare by herself needs to be worth the price.

I am very sorry to hear that the mare you bought was misrepresented. I know Lane Kobeck and I would guess that he only printed/announced what he was told by the consignor. We run the Mount Airy Miniature Horse Sale and I always hate to here “all sales” being categorized in the same pigeon-hole and lumped together as a bad crooked bunch. While some sales truly are this way and there are some sellers that don’t have much conscious if it will make them another $50 bucks, that don’t make all sales bad. My wife works hard to get our catalogs correct and I work hard at making correct announcements from the auction box. The horses at our sales are all in the barn early (almost all are there the day before the sale) and we encourage the sellers to be available to talk with potential buyers. True we can’t control what all the sellers say or what they give us to put in the catalog but with our sale being established since 1986 and most of the sellers and buyers knowing us we usually have a pretty honest bunch. The sellers know if they get to out-of-line I will STRONGLY encourage them to make it right or don’t come back because a reputation takes a long time to build and is really the only thing that makes a long term successful business. Again I am sorry your sale experience was not what you had hoped but please don’t listen to some folks that tell you to avoid all sales because I sure hope the ones saying that either haven’t been to our sale or if they have don’t group us with “all them bad old sales”. As I have always said if you come to our sale or farm….

“If You Have A Complaint, Tell Us,…..If You Have A Compliment Tell Everyone”

Ronnie Clifton

Trotting C Sales

Just what ONTHERISEFARM said. Buy a mare because you like the mare. There are never any gaurantees to get a live foal on the ground. Even if you are blessed enough to get a live foal, so many things can go wrong from the time they are born to the time you either show them or sell them. You know the saying, the only sure things in life are taxes and death.

Latest posts

Back