Does anyone show Welsh Ponies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I already posted this on the Back Porch, but was told I might have some luck posting on here, so here goes...

I have an 8 month old Welsh filly that I am going to be taking to a sport pony show in a few weeks. It offers several halter and inhand classes. I have never shown in halter classes of any kind, showmanship yes, but not halter. I understand the basics of what is expected of the minis from what I've learned on here, but I know every breed is shown differently, and don't have the slightest idea what is expected of a Welsh.

My questions are:

1. Are they shown with back legs square or split?

2. What kind of halter is acceptable? Do I need an inhand halter, or will a nice leather one suffice?

3. Do they stretch the necks at all? From the few photos I've found it looks like they try to get them to stretch out a bit and show off the natural arch...

4. It says they will be shown at a walk and trot. Do they like to see an extended trot that really shows off their movement? Again, from the little bit I've found online, this seems to be the case.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's it for now. I plan on contacting the breeder I bought her from, she is a great lady and I'm sure would be happy to help. I'm also going to see if I have breed rulebook and if it says anything in it about what is expected.

I just though I would ask on here first, since everyone is so knowledgeble and helpful. So if there is anyone out there that has experience showing Welsh Ponies, your help is greatly appreciated!

I havent showed Sport Ponies in several years and so I wouldnt know how best to advise you of the current style.

But I was browsing websites and this one kept coming up http://www.wyevalleyfarm.com/home.htm they might know the answers to you questions or at least point you in the correct direction.

Thank you, I'll take a look at their site! I actually had some luck once I began searching "sport pony" rather than "welsh"...

Yes Welsh Ponies and Sport Ponies show very very differently thats for sure.

Sport Ponies are clipped and slick. Where as the Welsh Ponies show close to NATURAL state. (Which is one of the reasons I could never show Welshes even though I love the breed.) I HATE HAIRY!!!.

I see hair and want to clip it hehe.

Yes, that is going to be tough for me too, I am dying to clip her and see what's under the hair!!! I clipped off her 3" of jaw hair today, hopefully I won't get in trouble, lol
default_unsure.png
The sport pony pages did give me an idea of how they like them to stand, and the pattern that they sometimes use, so that was helpful. I also found out today that my riding instructor has shown a few horses inhand, so I may have to get a few lessons before the show!

Back