Does anyone show Welsh Ponies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I have an 8 month old Welsh section B filly who I was planing to show hunters in a few years. Her breeder sent me a show bill for an up coming sport pony show that has several inhand/ halter classes that I would love to attend. However, I don't know the first thing about how Welsh are shown in halter. What kind of halters are appropriate? Do I need an inhand halter, or will a basic leather halter suffice (she has such a tiny head that she fits perfectly into my mini halters, but I'm sure that is not acceptable)? Do they show square? Are they stretched at all. I would assume that you would stretch their necks a bit as they tend to look a little blocky if not. Though I've never shown minis either, I at least know what is expected of them, I'm at a complete loss when it comes to the welsh. If anyone does show them and could help me out I would greatly appreciate it! I'm very excited, but don't want to make a complete fool of myself!
default_laugh.png

Wish we could help........We have only attended a couple of Welsh shows and they were so many years ago I don't remember a lot of the details. The only thing that stood out for me was that they didn't do any real clipping of the horses.....I think just trimmed the long hairs on their faces.

Two things you may want to do is.......contact the person who sent you the show info and ask THEM and also find out if there is another show you can just go and watch before your show.

Perhaps the registry could supply a bit of info for this or where to find out. They might even have a rule book (both AMHA and AMHR do) that will describe what is wanted as far as set up goes. Good luck

Thank you both for your responses. I think I will contact her breeder. She is a great lady and has been the most helpful person I have ever bought a horse from. The show bill states that they will be shown at a walk and trot and gives percentages of what they will be judged on (i.e. breed type, movement, etc) I just got her registration papers back, so I'll have to look through them and see if they sent a rule book, otherwise I'll be sure to get one. I had wondered if their rulebook had a description of how they are to be shown, as I know that the one for minis does. Guess I have a bit of research to do, thank you for giving me some ideas of where to start!

Unrelated...But I NEED to see a pic of your Welsh. They are, by far, my favourite pony. I would think a nice leather halter with some simple stitching would suffice.

Have you ever seen a hunter show in conformation??They are pretty square but the right(or left cant remember
default_wacko.png
)back leg is a step forward.That's how I believe they show them. I used to show hunters but can't remember. I'm not sure but I think you show them in hunter bridles like you would in conformation. Maybe you could look up hunter conformation?? Hope this helps!!

Matt- I'm always happy to show picutres of Bella! These were today, decided we had better work on leading and setting up some and thought I'd take the opprotunity get a couple shots. She is wearing my 30" mini's show halter (just for laughs, I won't be showing her in it). I clipped the three inches of hair off of her jaw after the pics were taken, now her head actually looks as tiny as it is!

SANY0917.jpg

SANY0929.jpg

SANY0931-1.jpg

Trinity- I have not seen hunters show in hand, I'm just starting to get into hunters with another yongster I helped my neighbor bring a long and still have a lot to learn about them. I'm sure she has seen them though... I'll bet there is a lot more info on showing them than I've found on Welsh. I am hoping that they show the same way, as she has definitely entered the gawky yearling stage and is very butt high (as evidenced by the photos) if she stands straight under herself. She levels off a lot when her hind legs are parted though. I will have to look into the inhand bridles, I don't think her little head is ever going to get very big so it should last her a while. I am hoping that a simple leather halter as Matt suggested will be acceptable for this show as it will be small, but if the bridles are affordable, it may be worth investing in one.

Thanks for the help!

What a gorgeous, gangly, unproportioned little yearling!
default_laugh.png
I love that phase (kinda like what we all go through in adolescence...sooooo much fun, right?!). She has a beautiful neck and head and full hip, and I'll bet she's going to be a stunning mare. Congratulations! I'm just a wee bit jealous
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, thank you Matt, I think she will be really nice once everything evens out. Both parents are beautiful, and her half sibling had some big accomplishment at the Hunter Pony Finals last year (can't remember if it showed and placed well, or if it was a high seller at the auction). She is definitely a "pre-teen" all the way, both in looks and in attitude. She finally got fed up with standing still and this was the result:

SANY0932.jpg

Oh she makes me laugh, her little tantrums are just hilarious
default_rolleyes.gif
She has such a unique and strong personality.

Latest posts

Back