Does anyone own call ducks?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
We just ordered Half a dozen white call ducklings. A friend is splitting the order with me. I was wondering if they really do stay as small as they claim (18-22oz at maturity). We were going to get mallards, then the grey call ducks that look like mallards, but the thought of fluffy yellow ducklings won and we are getting the white ones. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, are they mellow or skiddish? I think our ten year old buff Orpington hen will be beside herself for the companionship, even if they aren't chickens.

My grandfather used to own them. They were just over a pound at maturity. Most of them were pretty mellow, he had one or two that were quite wild and would fly around. I am thinking about getting a pair later in the spring, that look like mallards. They were one of my favorite feathered animals at my grandfather's.

I have raised them before. They do stay very small as long as they are purebred. Crosses grow quite larger. They can take flight and get lost if they have not been pinioned. So keep that in mind if you are going to let them roam. Mine were always tame. Play with them as ducklings so they trust you. That will tame them.

I owned 1 once and enjoyed him for a whole 2 minutes. My hubby and I bought this super cute lil white call duck male from a flea market/bird swap. I just loved him as he was soooo cute. Paid $40 for him. Got home and we put him in our pond and watched him swim to the other side and flew away!

My hubby laughed so hard and said well that will show ya to spend $40 on a duck! Hope ya enjoyed him cause there he goes! As hes dyeing laughing at me.

Reactions: JAX
OMG Mindy, that's awful, but funny. These will be 24-48 hours old when I get them, they should bond and hang around when they are put out as they get older. They were still pricey, but not too bad, just under $15 each, minimum of six, with a live delivery gaurantee. Shipping was free. Six was too many, a friend usually gets chicks or ducks for her kids in spring, then they release them at her mother's farm down the road from me. She may even hang onto them a little longer this year if they are that small.

Yeah

All I could do is scream nooooooo! As he flew out of sight. It sucked but it was funny too. I still laugh to this day every time I tell this story as it is def a funny and pricey one!

Lol!

Latest posts

Back