Does anyone own and/or raise French Bulldogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
I'd like to get a puppy next year and this is one of the breeds I'm considering. I don't know a single person who owns one and I've only seen a couple at the local pet store. I'd love to know more about them if anyone could help me out! I'm trying to be responsible and doing lots of research before I decide which breed is the one for me!

I don't have one but man are they neat. I see them at shows and have talked to breeders a few times. Gotta love those bat ears. I will warn you up front they are not inexpensive. $2000-$3000 is pretty standard for a quality pup from a good breeder who stands behind their dogs.

Start here

http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org/

that is the parent club, they should have a club in your region and can direct you to breeders in your area.

Also if there are any dog shows in your area, attend a few of those, talk to a few exhibitors. Check out the dogs in the ring and see what you like. Also the French Bulldog Club of America can direct you to reputable breeders in your area.

Please dont buy one from a pet shop. Visit www.thewrongpuppy.org and you will see why we try to eduate people about pet shop pups.

They are adorable!

One of my friends bought one and had it shipped from Hungary. He's a cutie! The things I know about them now from her.........

She bought him to take to horse shows with her. She can't. The first time she took him, he had a lot of trouble breathing. With the heat and dust he couldn't get enough oxygen through his squished nose. He now stays home when she goes.

He can clear a room
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:
default_yes.gif
: when he passes gas.

He's got a sweet personality and is built like a little tank.

Don't worry - I'm not planning to buy from a pet shop. Going to a dog show is a great idea but not really an option up here. I think the nearest show would be about 6 hours away. One of the things I'm concerned with is the squished nose. I will keep looking into that. Thanks everyone so far!

Don't worry - I'm not planning to buy from a pet shop. Going to a dog show is a great idea but not really an option up here. I think the nearest show would be about 6 hours away. One of the things I'm concerned with is the squished nose. I will keep looking into that. Thanks everyone so far!
The squished nose isn't so much a problem as is too small a windpipe, elongated soft palate, tonsil issues, and small nostrils. Also bulldogs are famous for their gaseous emissions :smileypuke: ......where do you live? check out akc.org and go to events to find all the upcoming shows in your state...also you can check out ukc as well for their shows.

My sister has an english bulldog who also hyperventilates under stress so he doesn't travel well, this is not the norm or shouldn't be the norm, ask breeders lots of questions don't be afraid there are no wrong questions and if the breeder doesn't want to answer them find another.

Well out of 4 dogs, 3 here have the squished nose. They all do fine as long as they are not left out in the heat. I have taken 2 with to horse shows and seemed ok as well.

Back