Does anyone on here NOT clip?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clip my horses for shows, but don't twitch them. It can be done with patience most of the time. We start our babies off here by clipping faces at 1 month old. Holding them in your lap with mom beside them being petted, and stroking and clipping at the same time, they usually love it. Most babies won't even flinch at ears and eyes. If mom is not freaking out, baby assumes it is part of life.

I don't clip my golden palominos. I think their color is so much richer allowing them to shed out naturally and only doing face and legs. You can blend into the body fairly easily.

For me, showing black horses, they look great being clipped. Like soft velvet. Lighter horses, I don't clip as much.

I would point out that Erica shows at least one of hers in natural coat, and I'm sure that if he had a nicer outline clipped, then she would do it. Again, it depends upon the horse. Not all horses can pull it off, but some most definitely can, and do it magnificently.

Personally, I feel that the AMHR and AMHA color classes are a bit silly -- that grey horse is a chestnut...that grey one is a bay...that grey is actually black... They look like unfired pottery.
I don't get on the forum that much...but as stated, I do show horses in a natural coat....actually several. That said these are mostly AMHR/ASPC horses, seems the "shetlands" have a much tighter "big horse" coat to them than their mini counterparts. Coat condition and tightness is also something I try to bred for, as I do think it's a trait that is passed on. But just like anything it's about overall condition and prep for the show ring....yes I show horses in unclipped natural coats quite a bit, but that doesn't mean they aren't in shape, bridlepath trimmed, ears and face clipped and blended and fetlocks clipped off. These horses aren't pulled out of pasture and shown the same day. Come nationals it's getting to the time of year the weather is starting to change and we are getting cooler mornings, which means thicker hair...and all my horses are clipped then.

Here are some pictures of horses in natural coats ....showing.....I have several more....but I opted to post a dark black/bay horse, a blood bay, and a palomino

This is Trotter - has bridlepath and face clipped....

552765_766682435822_702278647_n.jpg

This is Ballerina - natural coat.....fine clipping only

first pic of her is in July - awesome coat

last picture was in Sept actually at nationals showing in ammy classes (borderline on too much hair) and she did get clipped before her open classes as they were four days later and she was only getting fuzzier

358_523585993042_5845_n.jpg

1964_527136198402_4630_n.jpg

This is RipIT - Natural coat....fine clipping only

535102_766383230432_398526825_n.jpg

I have more....but at least that's some to view

Where's that "like" button?

(I hope I didn't misrepresent you by not mentioning the fine trimming in regards to your show horses -- I don't think a horse exists that doesn't need ear trimming and such.)

Oh no Susanne.....just wanted to say I do "do" that......

As one can see above, even my unclipped natural coated horses have a facial, as it's what I prefer.....but yes gotta do that fine clipping (ears, fetlocks, face)

but it sure is nice not having to clip but once a year at Nationals!

I don't get on the forum that much...but as stated, I do show horses in a natural coat....actually several. That said these are mostly AMHR/ASPC horses, seems the "shetlands" have a much tighter "big horse" coat to them than their mini counterparts. Coat condition and tightness is also something I try to bred for, as I do think it's a trait that is passed on. But just like anything it's about overall condition and prep for the show ring....yes I show horses in unclipped natural coats quite a bit, but that doesn't mean they aren't in shape, bridlepath trimmed, ears and face clipped and blended and fetlocks clipped off. These horses aren't pulled out of pasture and shown the same day. Come nationals it's getting to the time of year the weather is starting to change and we are getting cooler mornings, which means thicker hair...and all my horses are clipped then.

Here are some pictures of horses in natural coats ....showing.....I have several more....but I opted to post a dark black/bay horse, a blood bay, and a palomino

This is Trotter - has bridlepath and face clipped....

This is Ballerina - natural coat.....fine clipping only

first pic of her is in July - awesome coat

last picture was in Sept actually at nationals showing in ammy classes (borderline on too much hair) and she did get clipped before her open classes as they were four days later and she was only getting fuzzier

This is RipIT - Natural coat....fine clipping only

I have more....but at least that's some to view

Thanks for the photos, I do like that look a lot, cleaned up a bit but still loads of colour and natural looking

Latest posts

Back