Does anyone know of a supplement that...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
My mom's just had his tail chewed off by another mini. She wondered if anyone here at LB knew of a good supplement to put in her horse's feed that could help with growing back manes & tails? Also we've tried using neopreme tailwraps to protect his tail head but they keep sliding off. What do you put on your horse's tail to protect it?

If you are talking about a "feed through" supplement... look for a good hoof supplement (biotin, lysine, methionine, and zinc ingredients). Hoof is made of the same material that mane and tail hair are, so the two are related. However, some horses respond well to the supplementation and others don't I've found. Sometimes you just can't work against genetics with thick, full hair.

The most important thing is to find out why they are rubbing out their hair in the first place, and mechanically prevent that.

Andrea

This is what I do for tails. Wash it good and put Main and Tail cream rinse in it and do not wash it out.

Brush and comb all of the tangles out and braid the tail. Loop the tail through the opening right at the head of the tail and loop till you have a small ball.

Take a childs (I use todler socks) sock and cut the top part way down the sock on both sides. Then put the tail ball in the sock and slip one cut section through the tail head opening and tie both sides together. Works like a charm. Keeps the tail from snarling, keeps it clean and keeps it out of the mouths of other horses. I can leave it there for a few weeks, but for show horses, it is better to redue it once a week.

If they are rubbing the very top of the tail head, use Listorine. Just pour it on and rub it in. They usually stop itching shortly after you use the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wash their tail, and braid it. I have used MTG on our horses (big and minis) for years. It really does work amazingly. After you braid the tail, put the MTG on the tail head, base, ect. Wherever the hair grows from. You should NEVER leave a tail wrap (the kind that goes over the tail head and tail bone) on fo an extended period of time. You also shouldn't wrap it in anything such as vet wrap. Putting anything like that around the actual tail bone can cause seriouse damage to the tail (because it can restrict bloodflow to the tail).

We feed all of our show miniatures and quarter horses a really good hoof supplement (with biotin in it) and flax seed (we grind fesh every day). This gives them great skin and hair. If we have one that got a tail chewed or rubbed its mane, we use the MTG once a week. We've had GREAT results doing this.

Good luck!

MTG is a great product for hair growth, it cost like $12 (i think...not 100% sure really) at TSC for a big bottle, its yellow and smells sort of like Bacon. I apply MTG to my horses manes & tails 1x-2x a week and then comb threw (its really oily so the tangles come right out, i dont worry about them breaking off). I have a filly who rubbed off a good 10" of the mane that i am MTG'ign every other day almost and it has grown ALLOT. MTG will work wonders for you.

I would MTG his tail 2x a week..make sure you rub it at the top and all the way threw to the bottom, i leave mine down free but guess you could wrap them up.

Latest posts

Back