Does anyone know much about the Ze Donk?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I'm wondering what kind of pet they make, I did find a couple articles that said they can be broke to ride or to drive if done right. I'm wondering if they are treated good and with loving hands right from the start, if they'd make a good pet or if the wild side might come out unexpectedly, I have little kids around and can't take a chance. I have a particular reason for thinking about this animal so please, if anyone knows any or has heard any stories, let me know. I know their aren't alot of them around and this may be a long shot but gotta try. Thanks.

I know of someone that actually trains pure ZEBRAS... and they are NOT for anyone except the most advanced horseman. They make some money from breeding their zebra stallion to horses, donkeys, and ponies and selling the offspring. The zedonk is the most difficult of the hybrids, as they are more "mule-like" than the horse crosses. I find that people are either horse people, or mule people. If you are a donkey-only person you might be closer to a mule person, but mules are different for sure!!

The zedonks and other zebroids have a definite wild streak. They take an extraordinary amount of regular handling to remain tame, and make SURE you get one that was well socialized as a foal!!!

I'm not sure I would let children play with them, they are a wild animal cross. There is a REASON there are not a ton of them around! If they made a great hybrid they would be a heck of a lot more popular!

Andrea

There was a zedonk at our local county 4-H fair a couple of years ago, and he acted very much like a donkey. The people that owned him really liked him, they did say he could jump about any fence though. They sold him for $1500, I would have been very interested in him but he was too little for me to ride. Oh yeah, forgot to mention he was broke to ride and drive, and he was small, so it was just the kids that were riding him, no adults. Granted they were experienced young horse people.

Zedonks are a very special hybrid. There is a man in our area that has 3 of them. He is very careful with them and the public. Another trainer got 2 that were about 4 and 5. They hadn't been handled much as foals so they were wild. He had spent over a year handling them daily and they still didn't trust him much and no one else at all. He was going to try to train them to be mounted shooting mounts. Not sure I'd do it but hey......

It takes a special person to work with mules due to their way of thinking. Zedonks have the really wild gene from the zebra and the distant wild gene from the donkey. Personally, I don't think I would get one to have around small children.

zedonk.jpg

I would agree that they could be quite a handful... and need patient, regular work - even more than a mule - with no guarantees that the wild side would not erupt without warning.

Zebra Hybrids

Thanks for these answers everyone. you have convinced me to pass on this beautiful baby, he's not what I really want. As always, this forum is the place to come for help.
default_smile.png

Marnie, I had one and sold him 3 years ago. They are definitely not for everyone, and can be quit a handful to work with plus they need to be worked with steady. They can be completely trained and just out of the blue revert back to there "wild" side. I really doubt if I would ever get another one, and I wouldnt trust them around young or inexperienced people or kids. Corinne

Latest posts

Back