Does anyone know for import into Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
I usually have coggins pulled with in 30 days of importing a horse into Canada. I called the border today and asked if there was any new paper work required and the lady mentioned that Coggin needed to be pulled with in the last 6 months- Health papers with in the last 30 days before importation. My question is since she was not 100% confident with the info she was giving me is it ok for the coggins be be done more than 30 days to 6 months from importation into Canada?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it has always been 6 months (or a year) on coggins and 30 day health papers for as long as I have been traveling across the border. My last "trip" to the states with the horses was this past weekend, so I pretty sure I am up to date.
default_wink.png

However, IMO, both are a joke and don't mean a whole lot, just a money grabber. But anyways, Coggins is valid for 6 months and health papers for only 30 days.

Happy Shipping.

both are a joke and don't mean a whole lot, just a money grabber
I have to agree as far as the 6 month coggins goes...all that means is that the horses wasn't sick or a carrier on the DAY the blood was drawn. How THAT turns into a six month guarentee, I'll never know, guess the line has to be drawn somewhere.

But, the health check, I do agree with 100%...IF it is done CORRECTLY. I know it only means basically the same thing...the horse was healthy on THAT particular day...but it can pick up on heart, lung or optical issues for example, that might have been hidden or overlooked. I know when my Vet does a health check, he is thorough, as are our Federal Vets.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used the web info and also called customs to ensure we had it right.

Went to a lot of expense and they didn't even look in the trailer....what a system!

Desiree is right......it appears to be an income producer for vet's and customs................no one seem to really be too concerned about the cargo.

That is correct about 6 months for the coggins and 30 days for the health papers--and make sure that the health papers include the statement that the horse has not been in Texas, New Mexico or Arizona within the past 21 days. It was just TX and NM because of piroplasmosis, but now Arizona has vesicular stomatitis and so there are border restrictions for horses from that state as well.

I thought that had been lifted for Texas and New Mexico. I am going to phone about that as I would like to know for sure.

Yes the coggins testing is just a govt. money grab. Cost 100.00 dollars here to say that your horse at the minute she drew the blood your horse didnt have it.

Are you thinking of bringing one across and are you having someone transport it for you?

The TX and NM restrictions were still in effect in late May, but they may be lifted by now. The statements were still on the health papers of the filly we brought up a week ago. The requirements change so often that they don't even list them all on the CFIA website any more, you about have to phone & ask...and then hope that some new restriction isn't added between the time the health paper is signed and the horse comes across the border! I wouldn't be surprised to see them add more states to the list because of VS--hard to say, it could stay just in AZ.

It would be nice if the TX and NM restrictions have been lifted--it's no fun trying to import a horse from one of those states while the restrictions are in effect--just a major pain in the a-- because you need a piro test within 15 days of the horse coming across the border, plus you have to pay $35 for an import permit, plus at least $25 for a federal vet to inspect the horse at the border...

I just received this, this morning.

Piroplasmosis Prevention: Kentucky Revises Entry Requirementsby: Edited Press Release

June 12 2010, Article # 16493

Investigations into the occurrence of equine piroplasmosis, caused by Theileria (babesia) equi, continue and as of June 10 a total of 457 horses have been found positive to T. equi in the United States.

Data indicates three sources of introduction and/or associated spread. Veterinarians believe 410 positives are epidemiologically linked to an outbreak that has apparently spanned many years in Southwest Texas. These 410 positive horses have been discovered in no fewer than 16 states.

The remaining 47 positives were discovered when testing to meet various regulatory testing requirements imposed for interstate movement and/or exhibition requirements. In each of these cases, epidemiological information supports the source of infection was either undetected at time of importation or iatrogenic spread (in this case via blood doping) associated with nonsanctioned Quarter Horse racing.

In response to this prevalence of disease, the Office of the Kentucky State Veterinarian has implemented the following strategies to mitigate the identified risks:

Entry requirements have been revised to require all Texas resident horses entering Kentucky to be accompanied with a negative test for equine piroplasmosis (cELISA for T.equi) and to have an Entry Permit issued by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. The Office of the Kentucky State Veterinarian is continuing to allow the equine piroplasmosis test to be valid for up to 12 months for entry and is qualifying that horses that have been in Texas less than 30 days are not considered Texas resident equine and can enter or re-enter Kentucky without testing. These revised entry requirements are subject to change as the investigation(s) continues to mature.

The Red Mile Race Track in Lexington, Ky., is scheduled to conduct a two-day Quarter Horse meet on July 16 and 17. In preparation, the Kentucky State Veterinarian's Office has directed that all horses (both racing and nonracing) seeking entrance onto the Red Mile grounds for the meet are required to be accompanied with documentation demonstrating they have been tested by cELISA during the preceding 12 months and were found negative to both T. (Babesia) equi and B. caballi.

The Kentucky State Veterinarian's Office is requiring that all horses coming onto the Kentucky Horse Park grounds during the World Equestrian Games be accompanied with documentation demonstrating they have been tested by cELISA during the preceding 12 months and were found negative to both T. (Babesia) equi and Babesia caballi.

In view of that I would guess that Canada hasn't lifted the TX and NM restrictions, and probably won't lift them any time soon. I just checked the CFIA site & if you go to the AIRS page & enter all the data, it indicates that the restrictions are still in place.

Also, health papers must include the paragraph regarding CEM.

Thank You- The TX restriction where in place in November too- funny the lady did not mention the need for that when I called- your info is appreciated.
default_biggrin.png
I was aking the customs information on permant importation

Tiffany

Need coggins done within the last 6 months USDA papers done only good for 30 days from being issued and a bill of sale on how much you paid for the horse which the seller must provide.

Need coggins done within the last 6 months USDA papers done only good for 30 days from being issued and a bill of sale on how much you paid for the horse which the seller must provide.

Thank You- Tiffany

PS I called again this morning again and spoke to the representative at the peacebridge and they had no clue what I was asking about or the need for the forms for not being in Texas- I will still get them because I know I will be asked for them at the border- but it would be nice if they would give out updated info when called.

Must have a bill of sale. The Canadians must pay a tax when taking a horse from the States into Canada They pay a tax on a certain amount of the purchase price.

Latest posts

Back