Does anyone here have Maine Coon cats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I have recently discovered Maine Coon cats and I think they're awesome !!! I was wondering if anyone here breeds them, or has one as their pet.... I'd love to hear more about their disposition and temperment from people who own one (or more.)

Hi,

I have had 2 in my life.....one by chance, second one on purpose. Best cats ever......very dog-like in thier personalities. As long as you like grooming thier long hair, they do tangle/mat fairly easy. I say if you are thinking on getting one, go for it!
default_smile.png

Harvey and I have one, "Keeper". He is huge and thinks he's a dog as far as we can tell. He is extremely people oriented and can usually be found where ever Harvey is.

Keeper%20--%2008122005%20--%202.jpg

We have what we think is a Maine Coon cross. He weighs in at almost 20 pounds! He's not dog-like...he's very much a cat...my husband calls him Sour Puss! Last night I found him on our bed, stretched out on his back in front of the air conditioner!!! Goofy cat! If I had a way to post his picture, I would. He is solid black...with intense green eyes.

Kim R.

I think I might have at least a maine coon cross. My Jake looks exactly like Jill's Keeper. He is huge and furry and what really strikes me is his BIG feet! Not polydactyl, but just big ol' feets!! Mine is a mighty hunter and has kept our little farm totally rodent free for 3 years. I have not seen any kind of rodent or even evidence of a rodent on this farm, just carcasses. Jake is 11 now and doesn't seem any different than when he was 2.

Here's the story how I got him: I lost another beloved cat named Cody due to him pushing out a window screen probably chasing a fly. He was nowhere to be found in the neighborhood (he had NEVER been outside) so I started visiting the shelter/pound every three days looking for him. After a month of this, on my way in I decided that it would be my last visit. So I walked through the aisle of cats and kitties, got to the end and turned around and walking out this 1/2 grown kitten grabbed my shoulder. I stopped to detach him and he told me to take him home. So I did. (The staff there told me his time was short as he wasn't a cute little kitten any more.) He fit in perfectly right away, even loving our two young dogs (an aussie and a golden retriever mix). It's funny how things work out, as I lost Cody but Jake got me!

When Jake is gone to his great kitty reward, I would like another large fluffy cat. I was thinking about another maine coon, but after all of Matt's (and Anoki's and Lisa's) postings I'm thinking it just might have to be a ragdoll/himi type!!

Jayne

We have Nari...she's a maine coon and 8 months old now...and heavy! Love the older traditional type Maine coons...extra toes and all. Very, very smart cats! Temperament is more like a cross with a smart calm dog and a normal type cat, they are different.

Its hard to see how big her ruff is but here she is....

TheTail.jpg

nariheadshotjune08.jpg

spinningwheelnari.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have HOMER!!!! All Maine Coon.........adopted from our local shelter. He is HUGE and his heart is as big as he is!
default_biggrin.png

Would I have another one? You BETCHA! He is VERY people oriented......loves the world!

Most full Maine Coons have a type of coat/fur that rarely needs grooming.....they take care of it themselves, and Homer does a great job. Just once in awhile he gets a sticker or something that he needs help with. (That grooming info comes from a Maine Coon breeder and our Homer seems to fit her description.)

Two other pieces of info I've learned about Maine Coons --- They don't stop growing until they are about FIVE YEARS OLD (We got Homer when he was two and that proved to be true.), and they live on average about 5 years longer than other domestic cats. Oh, and they are considered the largest breed of domestic cats in the U.S. (sorry...that's a third bit of info.)

DominoandFamilyJanuary2008002.jpg

Oh my gosh... thank you all so much for the pictures and the information. I'm sold on them...looks like I'll be looking for local breeders so I can get my own Maine Coon. I like everything that's been said about them, and I love all the colors they come in, but that big ol fluffy tail, that's just icing on the cake!!

<LOL> My huband keeps saying there is just a bit of cat attached to that tail...is impressive.

MC's are also super, super soft.

Just watch out for the breeders that are making them into long nosed persians. Not there is any thing wrong with persians,,just do not like where some of the breeders are taking the Maine Coon. I want a MC to look like an MC.

Like MA said... you should also keep an eye out at the shelters. There are breeders out there that will dump purebred kittens... like the ones with extra toes....because they do not want buyers to see them. Because some of them are going away from the multi toed Coons. Which is sad.

PLEASE KEEP A LOOK OUT AT YOUR SHELTERS!!!! I got Homer there, and since then could have adopted about five or six others -- different colors and sexes.......... It broke my heart!

After some observing, learning, and research, you'll be able to spot either a Maine Coon or a Half Maine Coon very quickly.
default_smile.png
Their coat has its own texture, and you'll notice they have huge ear tufts and an unusual amount (and length) to their whiskers.

Google! And have fun.......

Here is my Maine Coon Mix named Jerry. He was a bottle fed kitten that I have had since he was 3 weeks old and is now about 12 pounds. He has a wonderful silky coat and great personality. When I go to the cat shows I am always amazed at the beauty and length of size of the Maine Coons. They also have a very layed back attitude. He is the boss and will put my outside Bengal in his place when he forgets. Usually he just has to give him the look. Wonderful cats, if I had room I would get a purebred.

Jerry.jpg

Here too. Her name is Willow. She's about 12 years old now. I'll take a picture of her.

This is George (officially George Washington, but usually he goes by Georgie). He's 4 years old & weighs 20 lbs. He likes to open cat food bags...dog food bags....bags of sugar and flour...cereal boxes.

GeorgeAtWork.JPG

George doesn't meow--he makes funny chirping noises, and he will squall if something hurts him (like when a pony grabs hold of his fur) but he doesn't meow like other cats. I'm told that is a typical trait of the Maine Coon cats? I haven't been around many of the breed so I don't know, but George is special.

He's a little scary too--he likes to be out around the ponies, and seems to not have a clue that they could hurt him. I'll be trimming feet or brushing a horse & he'll be right there under their feet, then he flops down & rolls over on his side or back, just waiting for some attention, and he doesn't get it at all when I try to shoo him away--he doesn't understand my concern at all! He likes to ride back & forth on my hay sled when I'm feeding horses, & I tell you, 20 lbs of George adds a lot to the weight of that little chore sled! He lays there so limp you can't push him out of the sled--you have to lift him out, and it's like lifting up a big limp wad of dough!

After seeing all your beautiful cats, and being amazed at how much they all look alike, I saw my big lug laying in the living room and took a quick picture of him. Jake is a pound kitty too (see the story on my previous post) and a very good cat in all respects except that he's not particularly friendly to strangers. Now if they stay overnight, by morning he's fine and wants to lap-sit but it takes him a while to check them out. He particularly likes to smooch with my husband when he is in his recliner. I need to get a picture of that!

Here's my Jake, the mighty hunter:

321998536.jpg

Isn't it amazing that most of the cats here all have the same coat color and pattern? This is really neat!

Jayne and Jake

Nari, doesn't meow either... she does chatter and make noises but it doesn't sound like cats not MC.

Here's something from WIk-pdia...Even their voices set them apart from other cats; they have a distinctive, chirping trill which they use for everything from courting to cajoling their people into playing with them. (Maine Coons love to play, and many will joyfully retrieve small items.) They rarely meow, and when they do, that soft, tiny voice doesn't fit their size!

Nari, also loves to collect things... or maybe..she thinks she is picking up for us...either way.. if you put it down don't expect to find it.... unless you look behind either the bathroom door or my DS's door.

Having had a Maine Coon in the past...is another trait for most of them.

Oh yes.. the older more traditional type ...which I see here.. all have the same type of coloring..and really big feet..with many having extra toes.

Jakes..quite regal looking... as if to say he own's your place. <LOL>

This is Shadow and after seeing all the cats in this thread we think that he is a Maine Coon. we got him at a shelter in 1998 or so when he was just a baby. If your looking for a particular breed of cat, this is the breed to get. he has such a loving and amazing personality. and his feet are MASSIVE, though im not sure if he has the extra toes. his eyes are just amazing!!! he actually looks at you in the eyes and tries (it seems like) to talk to you. but be prepared for lots of hair!!

~he can definitaly relate to the dog personality... he used to fetch in his younger days lol.

~sorry about the picture sizes.

CIMG3321.jpg

shadow1.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Oh MY! Shadow is beautiful! I too think he is a Maine Coon or at least a mix. Don't you just love those big feet!? I think that's one of my favorite parts! When Jake sits in my lap I take one of his front paws and put it in my palm and it covers a LOT of palm! I like the big ruff around their necks too.

I had no idea so many of us had one of these amazing cats!

Jayne

(Edited for syntax. Original version had "my shadow" rather than "My! Shadow...")
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry......but I LOVE this breed of cat.
default_laugh.png
Yes, I've also noticed the huge feet too. I tease our "Homer" about his back feet looking like rabbit's feet.

Minihorses, just by the photos, I bet your Shadow is part Coon............... and Jayne's Jake too!

The tabby coloring seems to be the most common. But I did a lot of googling about them and discovered that they do come in all colors. I love the calico, but have only seen one in person. It's not just their physical appearance that appeals to me, it's their personality!

Latest posts

Back