Does anyone here breed Boxers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinkky

Reaction score
I raise miniature australian shepherds. I think I am very knowledgeable about that breed. I know enough to know that the dogs I raise are not a good fit with my daughter’s home.

She lives in a small town and has a "regular" back yard. She lives in Texas, so the weather is unpredictable. Highs in the summer can be 105 or so for several days. Lows can be in the single digits (seldom below 0, but it does happen).

Ok, here's the deal. My granddaughter is soon to be 5 yrs old. Her mom thinks now is good time to add a dog to the family. Hailie would not be "responsible" for the dog, but would help with the feeding and what few things she is old enough to help with. Dad does not have a problem getting a dog, but does not want an inside dog. He says that when the temps are in the extreme he does not have a problem with it coming in the house for a few days until the temp evens back out. For this reason, they are leaning toward a short haired/slick haired dog. (which puts aussie's out of the picture). Also, dad often works late at night and mom jogs early in the morning, so they want a dog that is somewhat protective (but not overly so). They want one that will bark when someone comes up, but not one that they have to worry about attacking (as this can go wrong so quickly)

So, are boxers good young -child dogs? As a breed, are they usually good tempered? Has this breed been in-bred/over-bred...things to watch out for? Do Boxer have skin problems, eye problems that we need to be aware of?

Would you recommend another breed altogether?

Thanks for your opinions.

I personally would NOT recommend a boxer. THey are great dogs for everything you describ, but would not do well outside. My girl goes out side with me, but I know how warm/hot she gets just a short time out in 80' weather. Couldnt imagine down in tex and to be left out side, I think that comb would equal a dead dog.

My boxer cannot be outside for more than 45 minutes in anything above 80. She does not do well in the heat at all. She only goes outside to "do her business" and occasionally for short walks.

They are some of the best dogs for kids. My boxer ADORES kids.. She would so much rather be around them than adults. She has never ever growled or bit. She has the best personality ever.

I would not reccomend one for you however with the "outside dog" issue. Boxers are just not able to withstand the heat.

default_smile.png

Wow...I thought they would be more heat tolerant than that. Glad I asked!
default_smile.png

I guess we need to re-think this. Any ideas that would fit their family?

What about a cattledog? We have 3 and they are very protective of the kids, can handle being outside, and very loyal dogs!! When the weather is extreme we do let them in the house though!!
default_smile.png

Boxers are wonderful family dogs, and are great with kids! They CAN be prone to allergies and skin issues, thyroid problems, but responsible breeders are aware of it and are starting to do more screening for those types of things. They, as everyone already mentioned, would NOT do well outside in the heat. The reason is because they are a short muzzled bracephalic (I am sure I spelled that wrong!) but what it boils down to, is that they are a "smoosh-faced" breed, and all of those breeds of dogs do not tolerate heat, and airlines even have a different set of temperature limit rules pertaining to those breeds than others, because they do not do well in heat. Good Luck on your search!

I agree with the others in saying that Boxers do not tolerate heat well at all. Also they don't tolerate the cold temps either. My boxer will be outside for not more than 10 minutes and already want to be inside in the AC with the summers we've been having.....and she does'nt tolerate the cold very well either. They are a fun breed to have as a family pet...but this breed of dog is an indoor breed as they love to be around people all the time. Just as with all dogs, depending on bloodlines and the likes, some may be more spazzy than others, more jubilant than others and have more of the guarding/protective instinct than others. My first Boxer was just that. She had that guarding protective instinct...which I hear is very uncommon in a Boxer, yet once she got to know you she was just like a baby. My Boxer now that we have is the complete opposite of our first one....a complete and utter clown! Always happy, jumping, running and playing....she would hold the door open for a burglar and invite them in....Lakota (our Cane Corso...see my avatar and website) would be the one that would stop them in their tracks!

Good luck with your search. I hope you find that perfect dog for your daughter's home.

When I was looking for a dog I went to: www.petfinder.com

they have a lot of neat info on the diffrent breeds of dogs.

go to petfinder and click on learn and then go to dog breed directory, go down to dog breed list.

it will tell you the 411 on any breed of dog.

it's really neat.

like for instance here is what it says about the boxer.

Boxer - Working

Family:livestock dog, mastiff (bulldog)

Area of origin:Germany

Original function:bullbaiting, guardian

Average size of male:Ht: 22.5-25, Wt: 65-80

Average size of female:Ht: 21-23.5, Wt: 50-65

Other names:none

•••••Energy ••••Exercise •••••Playfulness ••••••Affection ••••Friendliness towards dogs ••••Friendliness towards other pets ••••Friendliness towards strangers ••••Ease of training ••••Watchdog ability ••••Protection ability ••Grooming •••Cold tolerance ••Heat tolerance

The boxer is playful, exuberant, inquisitive, attentive, demonstrative, devoted and outgoing; he is a perfect companion for an active family. He can be stubborn, but he is sensitive and responsive to commands. He is generally good with other household dogs and pets.

Care

The boxer needs daily mental and physical exertion. He likes to run, but his exercise needs can also be met with a good jog or a long walk on leash. He does not do well in hot weather and is generally unsuited to living outdoors. He does best when allowed to divide his time between a house and yard. Some snore. His coat needs only occasional brushing to remove dead hair.

Health

Major concerns: cardiomyopathy, SAS, CHD

Minor concerns: gastric torsion, tumors, intervertebral disc degeneration, corneal erosion, colitis

Occasionally seen: none

Suggested tests: cardiac, hip

Life span: 8-10 years

Note: sensitive to heat and anesthesia; white boxers may be deaf.

default_wub.png
I love our boxer. He is 7 mths now and weighs about 50 #...loves the grandkids to death good with the minis and our smaller dogs but does not do good in the heat so he follows me around in the house (yes, the bathroom too) snores and passes gas big time
default_wacko.png
protective of our property already and just a big clown...alias Tinker the Stinker!
default_wub.png

Thank you all for your opinions. I guess we need look into another breed. I'm SO GLAD we asked here first! The last thing I want is to suggest a breed for outside and the dog suffer because of me!!

We'll keep looking.

thanks,

Latest posts

Back