Does anyone here also raise miniature cattle?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I've been curious about them and wonder what they are like. I used to show cattle and my family still raises purebred angus. But maybe I can convince them to start a "mini cow herd"

I have seen some breeders advertised in the American Livstock magazine.
default_rolleyes.gif

I dont raise them BUT had bought a mini bull a few yrs back for my father-in-law for fathers day. His name is Bubba and is a mini jersey/angus mix. When i got him he was almost 2 ft tall. Now hes fixed and is about 4 ft tall and weighs about 600lbs. He cost me $500 non reg. He sure was and still is a cute little guy but is no different than any other cow.

Pic of him on my website under photo page. ENJOY!

www.silvermapleminiatures.com

Jules,

Monette Freeman of Wisteria Mini Horse Ranch in LA now raises miniature beef cattle in addition to her minis.

I remember seeing pictures of one here on Lil Beginnings years ago. it was a three year old Hereford, and he was only 29 inches tall.

I have always wanted some!!!! Thought it would be cool to have a farm of 'miniatures'!!!

Wonder what they would be like to have for the Cardigans to herd LOL.......ohhhhh, maybe I'll have to look into them again!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

~kathryn

We have always had Mini cattle. We have had Zebu, Dexters, Oreos.. We don't have a huge herd, just keep a few for mostly our own purposes.

Last fall we traded for a weanling Lowline bull from a friend..... Let me tell you... he is the cutest little guy!! Love the little cows.

I LOVE moo-cows!
default_wub.png
I was raised around Herefords on the 1500 acre ranch in CA.

I would love some mini moos! But now I have a thing, wanting a Highland. Red with the long bangs and horns! So cute!

A miniature hereford was at our county fair last fall. They are being touted for being "freezer size", rather than the full-sized guys. The one I saw was 18 months old. They told me how much he weighed, adn what they paid, but I can't remember now. He was bigger than I thought a miniature would be. Also his head was VERY wide. He was a breeding bull. I think a cow would have a hard time giving birth to one, unless she was experienced. I'd like to see some other breeds.

I find them very interesting and have been trying to talk the hubby into one or two...so far a no go.
default_no.gif

We had a miniature cattle breeder featured on the cover of our 'farmers forum' newspaper last week. I have no idea what kind as I know nothing about cattle, but he had a calf born that was marked EXACTLY like a panda bear. Black with the white ring around the middle, white on his face with black rings around his eyes. Just like a panda! He says he breeds for the 'panda' look and gets 10,000-50,000 for each. Anyone want to start a miniature 'panda' cattle farm with me?
default_smile.png

Yup, I've been looking around here lately. And it seems that $2000-$5000 is a good starting price. My cousin is in Denver at the National Western Stock Show and said the average price there for a show quality Lowline Angus heifer is $15000.

At that price looks like we won 't beadding a few of those to the farm for awhile!

Lord. Two or three times the money for a quarter of the beef?
default_unsure.png
Hmm.... Sure hope most people buy them as pets!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Actually Leah, while the miniatures are normally about 1/2 the weight and size of a standard size cow, and eat ALOT less than a standard cow, thier typical ribeye is 70% of the size of a standard ribeye. So really they are much more efficient.

Can one house mini cows with a mini horse? In particular one on one, for company.

Nancy Mindlin in Pa. has some of the nicest I've seen. I Love getting her new baby photos, they are so cute and most are very colorful. Her prices are also very reasonable. Here are a few photos from her Website:

BobbiSoxMuffet.jpg

PaintZebuCow.jpg

Kyanne.jpg

Tiffy2.jpg

Muffit4.jpg

Dolly3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back