Does anyone have/use barns with run ins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
Do you or have you used a barn with run in(paddock) attached to each stall?

How big is the opening to the run in?

How do you keep the outside ellements from inside the barn or is that not an issue?

Do you have pictures or experiences that you can share using this method?

Thank You

Tiffany

We have four big horse stalls which we can divide if needed. Two of them have run ins. One is to the main paddock, and the other is to the stallion paddock. The doors are as big as regular stall doors, and we close them to keep the barn warm/dry if needed.

I can run out and get pictures later on if you would like

I have a 36x36 metal MD barn with 12 ft center aisle, stalls 12x12. I had them move one wall so I have a 12x16 foaling stall and 8x12 tackroom. The doors are 4 ft wide at front and back of stall with a 12x24 paddock behind each stall. I love my barn and the paddocks and just shut the doors to the paddocks when needed. Mind you, this ranch was originally set up to be a full scale Paint breeding, training and showing facility and am now modifying it for the minis.

Hope that helps.

My previous barn had run outs attached to every stall which was very handy, but then if the wind was blowing and I wasnt home to close the doors what a mess! This new barn doesnt have them, just runs on the outside where I can lead them back and forth still on the outside of the barn. Still a pain, but when its cold its alot nicer inside the barn then the other one. It took me a year to decide not to put doors on the barn!!! I couldnt decide. Good luck!

I have an older wood barn with large run-in paddocks with each stall. I think the opening in the back is 48". I can shut the doors but usually don't unless I'm watching a mare that's due. The stalls are large enough that I don't have problems with wind/weather coming in....unless it's like the winter of 1997 when the whole barn flooded(what a mess!).

If you happen to be walking by the barn with the carmera that would be great
biggrin.gif

And is there a lot of damage done by the minis to the outside of the barns?

In a couple of years we will be moving & building a new barn. Our plan is to have dry lots that lead into individual stalls. We plan to have an outside overhang running the length of the stalls/dry lots. This is because we will be shutting the horses into the dry lots during nice weather. We may have rubber mats in the stalls & feed the horses in there though to alleviate ingesting dirt/bedding. The door width will depend upon how many stalls / horses we plan on having. Obviously we will need wider doors based upon how many horses will be in each dry lot - probably no more than two per area.

I have sheds yes that are attached to run ins and they are 100 feet by 150 feet each~! Which is plenty of space for the little ones to run around and get plenty of exercise..

HI

My barn has stalls attached to the outside. Each of those stalls has a 10/12 X 30 run. You can close the gate and keep them inside or leave it open for full use.

The stall sizes are about 10 x 11 each. The backs of them (solid walls) face the north, open side the south.

B

Here is mine. I have a 32x38 barn and my run in goes the entire width of the end of thebarn. I use a tube gate to keep them out of the barn. I have spent years building up the footing outside the runin with sawdust. The runin itself is bedded with sawdust.

runinshed.jpg

th_viewintoshed.jpg
th_shedoutsiderite.jpg
th_shedoutsideright.jpg
th_shedrightside.jpg

With our previous barn at our old place we had back wall sliders on each stall that led out to paddocks that varied in size. One was 12 x 24 and was used as a quarrantine stall area. The others were larger and we used them as turn-outs for our new moms with their newborn foals. I miss having them!

MA

We board our horses out. We've been at this place for over 8 years now

and it's the best set up I've ever had for run ins. We use 5 12 x 12 stalls,

out of a 6 stall barn for our horses and they are pretty will programmed to

the daily procedure.

Two stalls face the pastures, of about a 3/4 acre each, the stall doors have a loafing shed roof that runs the length of the barn. After breakfast girls go out one door into their pasture, boys go out the other door to their pasture.

My guys are all sissies and don't like the 'beautiful Pacific NW' rain so when it starts to sprinkle or down pour, they head to their respective stall or loafing shed area. There is plenty of room for all of them to get under cover, if they choose.

The loafing shed roof seems to deter the worst of any weather so the stall interiors stay dry with maybe a bit more tracking in of dirt if it's muddy, but the bulk of it seems to come off walking thru the loafing area.

We clean runways, pastures and stalls each day so there is no unsanitary build

up of manure for them to stand in, particularly on yucky days when it seems they spend the better part of the day under the loafing shed roof.

It's funny to watch the guys that have inside stalls, head to their own bedrooms

at dinner time when the interior doors are opened for them to come in. Everyone knows where their own room is, no muss, no fuss, just head in to chow down.

They are all locked in at night......

I love the set up for it's ease but think there is something to having to halter your horses each day to walk them to in and out.

My big horses have outside runs attached to their stalls. The runs are 16'X32' and 24'X32'. The outside runs back up to a dry lot paddock (can be an arena if I groom it) which is about 120' X 60' which is perfect for a small dressage arena. That paddock backs up to what will be our new south pasture!!

Doors between the stalls and the runs are standard stall-door size, on rollers and can be locked from the inside. The runs are made of cattle panels, with the cattle panel gates going into the paddock. The horses haven't damaged the back side of the barn, knock wood. I close the doors only if it drops below 10 or 15 at night, or we have a nasty cold wind coming. The horses HATE having the doors closed.

The ponies don't have runs, as their stalls back up to the driveway. That side of the barn was originally an equipment shed and was turned into stalls when I caught pony fever. If I was to do it over again, they would all have outside runs.

I have also closed the door and used the bigger run as a small training area. It's small but I can do some round pen work with the ponies in there in a pinch.

keeperofthehorses said:
My big horses have outside runs attached to their stalls. The runs are 16'X32' and 24'X32'. The outside runs back up to a dry lot paddock (can be an arena if I groom it) which is about 120' X 60' which is perfect for a small dressage arena. That paddock backs up to what will be our new south pasture!! Doors between the stalls and the runs are standard stall-door size, on rollers and can be locked from the inside. The runs are made of cattle panels, with the cattle panel gates going into the paddock. The horses haven't damaged the back side of the barn, knock wood. I close the doors only if it drops below 10 or 15 at night, or we have a nasty cold wind coming. The horses HATE having the doors closed.

The ponies don't have runs, as their stalls back up to the driveway. That side of the barn was originally an equipment shed and was turned into stalls when I caught pony fever. If I was to do it over again, they would all have outside runs.

I have also closed the door and used the bigger run as a small training area. It's small but I can do some round pen work with the ponies in there in a pinch.

468941[/snapback]

Thank You excellent info-Tiffany

Latest posts

Back