Does anyone have this wall feeder?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me out with a picture??? I want to buy a couple of wall feeders ( http://www.minitack.com/dss153.htm ) but I'd like to see what size they are compared to a mini horse, to get an idea if it's what I'm looking for.

Does anyone use these feeders? And if so, can you Post or PM me a picture of your horse next to it? Or maybe the owner of Ozark (can't remember which forum member she is) will see this and reply? I bought the hay feeder last month and LOVE it. But I want to transfer it into our horse trailer.
default_biggrin.png

I have looked at these feeders at my feed store. They call them a calf or goat feeder. I think they cost $35 here.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a picture??? I want to buy a couple of wall feeders ( http://www.minitack.com/dss153.htm ) but I'd like to see what size they are compared to a mini horse, to get an idea if it's what I'm looking for.

Does anyone use these feeders? And if so, can you Post or PM me a picture of your horse next to it? Or maybe the owner of Ozark (can't remember which forum member she is) will see this and reply? I bought the hay feeder last month and LOVE it. But I want to transfer it into our horse trailer.
default_biggrin.png
I have several of them and they are outside. They come with "U" bolts on the back so they can hang on rail fencing. I live in Central California where the soil is very sandy so I like to be sure that I keep the horses feed up off the ground. These work very well. I am thinking about getting some more. Sorry I don't normally take photos of my horses eating.
default_smile.png

I used them for my miniature goats a few years back, the goats were 28' in height. They were wonderful for keeping feed off the ground, and putting grains and supplements in the bottom. They were strong enough to withstand the abuse of 6 naughty little goats! I now use them for my mini horses who are really small, 30' and 33'.

Last edited:
I have wall feeders similar to those, and I have them in ten of my stalls. I really liked them at first, because they have a tray on the bottom to put grain in. The hay goes in the feeder. It was pretty easy to get all the feeders stocked before bringing the horses in for the night.

however, I found several horses that kept getting bits of hay in their eyes and noses. because they have to reach their heads upwards to pull hay out of the racks, lots of pieces were falling into their eyes, and in the morning I'd have horses with pus in their eyes. I even had one horse that had a piece of hay stuck all the way into the tissue in the bottom of the eye. I quit using the feeders about four months ago and now just throw their hay on the ground.

I think that sometimes we tend to think in "human" terms on what our horses should be doing or how they should be eating. But remember that horses don't stretch their necks up and eat trees. They eat grasses, off the ground, and I think they are more comfortable eating off the ground than pulling their hay out of a rack. I also think it's more healthier for them.

Yah, there's the poop to deal with, but I haven't found that to be a problem. They are eating from the front end, where the hay is, and the poop is coming out the back end, where the hay ISN'T.
default_wink.png

I had one for a while but didn't like the way the tray was under the hay so much. I made my own off of that one with a few changes. I made it so that the bottom slants downward to allow the grain to roll to the bottom. I also have a 1" piece of tiny holed expanded metal to allow for rain water to drain out.

feeder1.jpg

feeder2.jpg

Latest posts

Back