Does anyone else have pygmy goats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikaS.

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with weak kids... We have had many kids born here over the years, all with no problems and as healthy as can be. My doe, Prissy, for whom I had built the milkstand, just turned three years old and had her second freshening two days ago. I missed the birth
default_sad.png
. I was so so so tired; I had waited all day for her and ended up falling alseep. The kid was born sometime between 11pm and 1am because my husband found her all cleaned up around 2am. He woke me up telling me that my goat was born and all I could say was, "what goat?" Anyway, the little doeling was too weak to stand, let alone nurse, so now I am milking out her mother and bottle feeding her in the house. I've taken her to the vet twice, got her a BoSe shot and penicillin; her heart, lungs, and digestive tract seem to be fine. What bothers me is that she gets out of breath with any physical exertion: standing, walking, eating. We are on day 2 so far and she is more alert than day one but she rests about 98% of the day. I don't think she is in any pain, just weak. Any suggestions on what more I can do for her. I work at home, so it's no problem for me to baby her as long as she needs... Oh, one more thing: she was born an day 156 of gestation and was larger than my other babies... so I'm thinking it was maybe a rough birth (Prissy seemed okay afterwards, though.)

Well, she doesn't have a name yet. Katie, Willow, Raggety Ann.... don't know...still thinking, would love ideas. Here are pics:
9-11-08newdoeling001.jpg
9-11-08newdoeling005.jpg
9-11-08newdoeling009.jpg

Thanks for reading, Erika

Latest posts

Back