Does any one own a Newfoundland?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
Here is Samson!(thats his new name for his new, fresh start!) He's a great boy with alot of love. Poor thing stunk so bad like poo and pee we had to keep the windows down in the suburban! I think she kept him locked up in a crate for 22 hours a day IF she even came to let him out each day, which I doubt! So that means he was in his crate for days at a time!!!! It completely makes me sick and I start to cry when I think about that! But he's here now and going to get fixed next week so he can live a happy, relaxed life!!! He's skin and bones under all that hair and would eat untill he bursts because he's soo hungery. All he wants is for you to sit by him and pay attention to him and he's perfectly happy. He's so sweet! And HUGE!!!!

If you have any advice let me know!!!

Thanks!

009.jpg

010.jpg

I have a friend that owns a newfy! They are such loving and intellegent dogs! They are very calm, as you can probably see! If you've got a place for them to go swimming, why not teach him to retrieve, thats what they were meant to, and love to do! Grooming is very important. I'd say every other day, if not try for atleast once a week!

He needs a few small meals a day. Once he realizes that the food won't disappear, he shouldn't be such a chow hound!
default_biggrin.png

Good luck with him, he sure is a cutey!
default_wub.png

Not me but my brother did and what a great dog she was! You will love this boy.

Show him that pool over there and get him a ramp to go in and out and have fun
default_biggrin.png

He's beautiful! Looks very young... don't give him puppy food. Giant breeds shouldn't get puppy food.

We have sisters who are 1/4 newfy. Their mom is 1/2 newfy and 1/2 pyrenean mastiff, and their dad is a leonberger. Denver is the black, Philly is the seal (brownish). Theyr'e 2 y/o

denver512-21-7.jpg

denverphillystick211111111.jpg

denverlake6.jpg

phillyswim13.jpg

Denver4.jpg

phillycraig.jpg

philly8.jpg

Denverstandtallme.jpg

We got Denver as a young pup (brought her home at 8weeks). Philly's owner's life changed, so she couldn't keep her anymore, so we took her in later. This is from puppy class, Denver is on the left, then two brothers (Norman and Bernard), then a sister (Crush)

e5ec80bc.jpg

Denver at 6 weeks

9608cba6.jpg

Jessi

AWWWWwwwwww what a beautiful pup!!! That story just makes my heart break for Samson. People that do this to dogs should not own them!!!
default_no.gif

On a happier note...I'm so glad he's yours now. Look at his little face!!! He's probably got so much going thru his mind. I'll bet in just a few days he will be a happy well adjusted little/big guy. Good luck with him...and thank you for taking him out of that horrible situation!

Edited to add: Jessi....beautiful pups!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
He's so handsome Leya -

I always wanted one, but too big and hairy for our lifestyle...Brutus is about as big as one (tall) , but not quite as hairy!

I don't know much about them except they are very loyal dogs and of course love to swim! Labs are often referred to as "lesser newfoundlands" in other countries. Like someone else said small meals 2-3 times a day are better than one big meal. And if he is a puppy I also heard no puppy food...the breeder I bought Brutus from told me that for him too...

Good luck and congrats, he sure is cute!

Aww Thanks everyone! We live right by the lake/bay plus the pool so I'm sure he's be swiming and getting that fun excersize at least a few times a week. My sister told me that now I have one I'll wonder why I ever got anything different! LOL!
default_wink.png

I have to tell you he was like 2 different dogs yesterday. Not in a bad way! But like in a, ok I'm liking this I guess I can relax , way. At first he was like a mad man but I stayed with him out side(and so did my other dogs) all day and by miday he was starting to settle in to relax mode. And by the end of the night he was ready to go to bed no problem.
default_aktion033.gif
And this morning when we let him out to go potty he did not pee or poo in this cage durring the night(which he did the first nite and you could tell by his smell when we picked him up, that he sat and layed in his own feces for awhile) he did his business right away outside! There's so much I could say about that horrable situation he was in but were starting fresh and moving forward for him. So here are a few more pictures of a very happy boy!!

Thank you all for you support, AWSOME pictures
default_aktion033.gif
(Thanks Jessi!!!!)
default_wub.png
and advice!!

Sam and my son yesterday

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

A happy relaxed Sammy this morning!

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Leya,

Bless your heart girlfriend! I have no experience with Newfoundland's, but boy do I love them! What a cutie Sam is! Your son is absolutley ADORABLE!!! Come see me soon!!!!
default_smile.png

I love Newfies!!

Boy is he ever glad to have you :D

Be sure to share as he gains weight... I am sure he will looks much more shinier once he get's some good nutrition in him.

One thing I had problems with when I rescued my german shepherd, was she had very dry fur, no matter the quality of the food as she was underfed for such a long time. I ended up giving her fish oil twice a day with her meals. They gobble it right up and it works wonders. I buy the capsules, and just cut them open and pour the juices over their food.

Oh LEya..I am so happy for you and your family, and double happy that Samson has you as his family
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
He is beautiful Newfs are great dogs, my parents had newfs ...we had Great Danes and St. Bernards. I keep telling Bob that Angel (our lab X jack russel) need a pal to play with and I just think it should be a newf...they are some of the sweetest and friendliest dogs around. Now, you need to keep me updated with
default_smile.png
pictures...
default_wink.png
Give him a big (((hug))) from me. Corinne

default_saludando.gif
Leyla, congrats on your new family member and bless your heart for giving him a new home where he will be loved and well cared for. Newfoundlands are very intelligent and loving animals and Sampson will reward you many time over for saving him from those wretched conditions.

We have five Newfoundlands and I am a breeder so can help you with anything you'd like to know about these dogs. Our website is www.angelheartminis.com and go to the Newoundland page for the dogs. Sampson appears to about four months old. If he has spent most of his life in a cage he will need socialization with people and other dogs. Take him for walks and if you have a local dog park that would be a great place to go. I also cannot stress enough how important it is too take him to a puppy obediance class. All dogs need obediance classes but with large dogs and ones that have had a rough start in life it is even more important. You will want him to learn basic commands and manners before he is too large to control and at puppy class Sampson will also becoem socialized to other dogs and people. The fact that he is a young dog is a good thing. He is stil developing mentally and phycologically so alot of the damage if any can be undone. Three things to remember with a puppy are patience, consistency and positive reinforcemnt.

I noticed that someone had mentioned not to feed him puppy food because he is a large breed dog. I know where that person is coming from as one must be carefull that a large breed dog does not grow so fast that his bone growth exceeds his muscle and ligament developement. In your situation though your dog is udnernourished and most likely protien deprived. I would reccomend a large or giant breed puppy food for him. There are many good ones and prices vary but Purina has a good product with glucosomine and Chonditron and antioxidents and is mid priced.

If you have any questions in particular about newfs and your dog in particular I'll be more than happy to help.

Latest posts

Back