Doberman Pinschers???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
I grew up around Dobies and remember them being the best dogs in the world. They allowed me to ride on their backs like a horse and crawl all over them. I loved those dogs to bits. I know that it's very important finding good bloodlines and an excellent breeder for temperment and health issues (among other things).

I was wondering if those who own(ed) Dobies could tell me anything and everything (the good/bad and ugly) about them?

Photos would be great as well!

Many years ago I owned 2 dobermans (not at the same time) I owned both a red and a black.

My personal experience with them......fantastic...

They were both extremely smart, very personable, loved people, quiet, not aggressive in the least.

Unfortunately.....because of the perception that some have of them....I would get looks of fear when I would take them out for walks. It was unfortunate but somewhat understandable. These dogs were like big babies tho. I have nothing to say on the negative about the 2 particular dogs that I owned. If I had to think of something...I would say....they take up space because they are big lol.

I know this topic is about dobermans but I think it is a shame that certain breeds get a bad rap.....I have a few friends that own pit bulls.....live in the house... with children and those dogs are as kind, friendly, loving and smart as the Sheltie that I have. In fact I have a friend that owns a tiny little dog that is more viscious than a pit bull.
default_rolleyes.gif

No matter what breed of dog one purchases, I would recommend looking for a reputable breeder, get references, and research research research. I could go on and on. Sounds tho like you already know that. Thats great!

Unfortunately I don't have a clue where those photos would be.

Good luck

Oh I was going to add.....I can't stress the importance of socializing the heck out of whatever you purchase.

We knew our Sheltie would be coming to the shows with us.....when he was a pup he went to 2 puppy classes and an obedience class. Went to all of the shows, got him around as many people as we could including children, got him in the truck the car went for rides, took him to see other animals.....

Now we have an extremely well rounded dog that soon will be taking his test to become a therapy dog. I think socializing is so important for anyones family dog, it benefits the dogs, the family, everyone it may be around etc.

I hope you get your Doberman and share photos when and if you do!

You should check out this you tube site the 2 dogs (one is a Doberman) are a HUGE hit in Minnesota. There are several videos of them. Check them out. They are even going to be on Animal Planet in November!

Here is our dog not a Doberman obviously.
default_laugh.png

tracker%20edited%20reduced.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing bad about them.
default_biggrin.png
They are my large breed of choice. Have had them for 40 years. Just big old loveable goofballs.
default_wub.png
Very loyal and extremely intelligent. Also protective but I have never had one with a mean bone in their body.

Oh yes, one kind of bad thing........ they are bad chewers as puppies. Crate your puppy! My first dobie girl ate my couch and curtains. LOL! Other than that they are PERFECT in every way.

Any dog.......any breed...... is what YOU make it. Spend the time necessary with your puppy and they will give you a lifetime of joy!

This is my male babysitting his 5 mo. old Cairn puppy and my female (who passed away last year) with her little doxie pup. My dobies have raised every small puppy we have ever had. So very very gentle!

DandSyd1.jpg

HA.JPG

GUARD DOGS ON DUTY!

Dealer009.jpg

upsidedown.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have had Dobermans for forty years.. I can not imagine life without one.. I raised and showed them for yrs.

I have friends who have 5, they are very well bred and have wonderful personalities and are beautiful to boot. Cute pictures of your pups Carol and River Wood, your Sheltie is super cute, I grew up with them and always wanted a blue merle
default_wub.png
. As far as the pit bull, tiny dog thing goes, I will take my chances with the tiny one, I figure I am more likely to survive an attack from the ankle biter rather then the pit
default_biggrin.png

[SIZE=14pt]Dear hubby John has owned Dobermans off and on for 30 years and we own 2 dobermans currently. A red male named Jupiter and a black female named Sugar. They definitely are part of the family and I could not see them not being able to live inside with us. I agree totally that they are extremely intelligent and totally Loyal. They get along very well with the minis. We are going to be having a litter of Dobie puppies later this fall.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Here is a picture of them [/SIZE]

2008_08310001.jpg

I have owned two dobies over the years. Both were wonderful loving dogs. Very happy and playful. Got along great with cats and other dogs.

Funny story though. There was a guy in Tillamook Oregon who owned a Dobie, tail not docked, ears not clipped. He always had it in the back of his pickup. One day a guy was standing next to his truck just petting the dog all happy go lucky. When I walked up he started telling what wonderful dogs hounds were. What kind of hound it was and how lucky the owner was to have such a beautiful "Hound".

I agreed with him about what a beautiful dog it was. Then I said imagine how different the dog would look with its tail docked and ears clipped. What a beautiful doberman it was and it might actually look like one with the cosmetic surgery most people do with the breed.

The guy took a step back quickly. Took a much harder look at the dog. Said he never even suspected as he was fearful of dobermans. Then quickly left. It amazed me how such a beautiful hound could be petted and trusted but an awesome dobie was to be feared.

Silly people!

I've had 3 dobies over the years and at one time never thought I'd own anything else. The first one tho had health issues and would never hold any weight, he di have the best mind tho. He was smart would try so hard for me and learned his obedience so fast he made me look like I knew what i was doing. :D The second one was much more handsome physically but just no where near the dog altho we loved him anyway. Number three was the one who convinced me to try another breed. He loved me with that devotion that dobies are so good at but he was an emotional wreck around my special needs daughter. When she was 5 she fell on him while he was sleeping and he bit her (hard), he only bit her once and then immediately stopped but once was enough. She was unphased (altho in need of lots of stitches) but he never recovered. It was a much sadder life for him after that, I kept him away from her in a locked kennel unless I was there and he was on lead but he was so apologetic he could not be near her with out clinging to my side. I considered rehoming him, which I regret not doing to this day since maybe he would have learned to transfer his attachment to someone else and led a more complete life. Instead I kept him at my side whenever my daughter was away and we took long walks together and practiced more advance obedience just for fun. I was so devastated when I lost him but decided that he was the last dobie i would own as long as my daughter lived with us. The ones I have had were great dogs but too easily stressed to live with my daughter. Now I have Bullmastiffs (actually just one now) and they are much more able to deal with the unexpected roughness she displays (mostly through clumsiness) than my Dobermans could.

I'll join the ranks of Doberman lovers. I had Dobe's from 1966 to 1997.

I had 5 adults dogs over the years and many puppies.

They are incredible companions, gentle playmates and protectors.

They are elegant, graceful, loyal and total goofs at times....

They are smart beyond belief, you can have a 'conversation' with a Dobe and

feel they understand every word you said.

They are wonderful with children and other pets. One year we had pet baby geese

and my big guy would curve his front paws inward and take the little ones and clean

their bottoms for them. All I ever had to say to them, about anything I wanted them

to be careful with, was, "That's Mommy's baby, be nice".

They are naturally protective of their family with little ado.

If a stranger came to the door they'd instinctively put

themselves between me and the screen door until they seemed to perceive from me

that things were OK..... I do have to admit much of their protection does probably

come just from their look and people's wariness of them. They don't have to be

'guard dogs' per se. They just have the intensity of look that makes it appear they

could back up 'that reputation' if need be, even when they are complete marshmellows.

I never had Dobe that was anything but solid minded although I've seen and heard

stories about 'the other kind'. I think any dog is what you make of it. They reflect

in most cases the personalities of their owners. If you want that reactive Dobe that

intimidates everyone it sees, they can be made to be that dog.... I just preferred

to have a trustworthy loving family pets that you could trust with anyone/anything.

Breeding does have a lot to do with it.....finding a reputable breeder with solid minded

stock is tantamount to having a good companion.

Many Doberman clubs put on what they call Doberman Temperament Testing field days.

The dogs go thru many situations that might occur in everyday situations. It gives you a

good feel for your dog's steadiness.

My last big guy, Zoo, was to me, the epitome of the perfect companion....he had the best

traits of every Dobe I'd ever owned. When he passed away at 10 1/2 years old I went

without a dog for over 6 months. When I finally caved in to my lonesomeness of not

having a sidekick I did not buy another Dobe. Zoo had set the bar to high. I bought

a German Shepherd and the rest is history. I feel as strongly about my Shepherd's

as I do about my Dobe's. A well bred Shepherd is also a wonderful companion.

Pictured with his friend, Sarah Sarah, is Zoo at 13 months old. He was a big guy at

maturity, going over 150#......Gentle giant he was....... I will miss him always.

ZooSara.jpg

Latest posts

Back