Do your horses have well water, is there a filter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
My horses have well water.

We don't. We use "city water" in the house.

The well water is loaded with iron. There's so much iron in it that all my water buckets and outside troffs are orange. I have to do a good scrubbing every week with clorox and then baking soda but even so, most of the iron stains remain.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of filter that anyone knows about that I can maybe put on my outside spicket or hose?

We use well water in the house and barn - but its really good well water, we had it tested once and its really pure, something to do with the well in our pond.

We have well water but don't have a filter. Dh is a plumber I'll ask him when he gets home
smile.gif

I have used well water for many years now and I would never think of putting on a filter.. I would not do so for myself, why should I do it for my animals?? Well water if tested and tested safe is far superior IMO the any city water and a whole lot better tasting~!
aktion033.gif

Well water and we do have a filter (for sediment only). When we first started using the well we changed it weekly. After about a month is was once a month. After the first three years or so I just look at it. I remember changing it about a year and a half ago but as long as its not plugged its still good. There are treatments for removing iron but I doubt that the extra mineral in your water will bother the horses at all.

rolleyes.gif
The iron in the water will not hurt the horses,or so a vet told us once. It's just a big aggrevation to us people. We have iron in the water in our area too. Had a dr. once say it was why we didn't have trouble with anemia too.(Iron skillets too) Their buckets,even with the iron in it is much cleaner than they would get from a creek or pond. Cheryl
biggrin.gif

We have well water, and no filter. Our water comes from an aquifer--a nice underground lake that has it's origins back in the days of glacial Lake Agazziz! It's wonderful water, except that our well was put in at 55 feet, and we do have some iron in our water. Most of our neighbors have 35 foot wells or even just sandpoints, and they have really good water, no iron. Even so, our water, iron and all, is still better tasting that any city or town water. Let me clarify--we don't have a lot of iron in our water--it stains the sink, toilet & bathtub but not to the extent that some well water does; we don't get red stained whites when we do our laundry...

The exception, of course, would be two years ago when we had a break in the line, and didn't know it. Our well has a 4' casing that goes down 10', then from there it's just a 4" pipe down the rest of the way, with a submersible pump. The line broke down in that 4" pipe, so every time the pump ran some water was going back down the well, and eventually it filled up & flooded the 4' casing, which has a dirt floor in it...I was having a lot of stomach problems that year & was starting to think there was something dreadfully wrong with me me. One night I drank out of the hose while watering horses and thought gee, that's sure good water, better than the town supply. Then the next night I drank from the hose again & thought hmmm, that tastes a bit dirty, must be just from the rubber hose. The next night I happened to be by the well casing, and heard some odd water running sounds that shouldn't have been there, so I looked, and it had several inches of water in it. I'd been drinking that disgusting, filthy water and up to the previous night thought it tasted great.
wacko.gif
smileypuke.gif

At least I then knew why my stomach had been playing me up for weeks, and there was nothing really wrong with me....we still cook with our water, but ever since then I've been buying Ultra Pure reverse osmosis water in town. Once in awhile when it's really hot & I'm really thirsty I do drink from the hose, but I can't bring myself to use our water for drinking on a regular basis. Besides, I kind of like having my tea without the "pond scum" our hard water always put on tea!!

We have a new well along with our new house......we bought an inline filter to put on our water lines but haven't gotten to that yet.......our animals love our water.....we have sulfur issues and I can't stand the "farty"
ohmy.gif
smell so I have a brita filter in the fridge for drinking...... it is kinda embarrassing when people come to visit and they use the shower only to comment on how "smelly" our water is......my boys just call it "fart water"
rolleyes.gif

Rori--there is an electrode in the hot water tank that can be removed, so that you don't get that sulphur smell to your water.

We have well water too and also the same problem with iron. Turns the toilets orange and white clothes too so we did put a simple in-line filter on it. Takes care of most of the problem but to get the best results we have to change it once a week....doesn't always get done! I looked into more expensive filtration systems but then you had less water pressure etc. Someone suggested a water softener and to be honest I know there was a reason why we didn't do that but can't remember what. Anyway, the filters we use are about $1.50 each so for $6 a month we get pretty good results...but not perfect.
smile.gif

All my critters get well water and I too get the iron scum like you. I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think it will hurt them. But if you do want a filter to attach to a garden hose, check out RV/Camping websites...they have them for campers.

Horses, dogs, cats, goats, Harvey and I all drink well water, which is very good here and there is no filter.

coffee.gif

We have well water too for house and barn, some iron but not so much that it turns everything orange. Our problem is the sulphur smell. Filters on the softener help as long as they are changed regularly. We are getting ready to put a well in at our new place, and looking at a filtration system that will actually give us good water. I don't drink the water here, and can relate to company noticing the stinky smell. When I'm gone for more than a couple of days and come back home, I notice it - and I've lived with it for 20 years!

Jan

In case anyone is interested, I sell Water filtration systems. I have a link on my website for them. Go to my link page and it is on the top of the list.

Yes Marty there is one that yu can put on the hose, one you can use in the shower, an under counter, an on the counter and a whole house system as well.

Thanks for looking

The hot water tank fix wont work our cold water is also very much fart water
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back