Do you use winter blankets on your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you use blankets in the winter? We used to use a nice, heavy, water proof blanket on our full size appy, but I'm not sure with minis!

If you do where do you get them and when do you have them start wearing them?

Thanks, Leya

I do if they are clipped and in the barn and its cold. Like after the world show in oct they will be blanketed for about a month or more depending on the weather.

I have one that I will use on my mini but I think it depends on your location. Pretty much the same with big horses. Last year we had a super mild winter in Tri-Cities WA but on the nights it was supposed to get super colt I went out and put blankets on my horses. I'm a sucker for sure!

jacks said:
I was wondering if any of you use blankets in the winter? We used to use a nice, heavy, water proof blanket on our full size appy, but I'm not sure with minis!If you do where do you get them and when do you have them start wearing them?

Thanks, Leya

463729[/snapback]

Nope not me.

After some 35 odd years old blanket on, blanket off to a huge quarter horse stable, don't need this anymore. I do blanket Sonny my quarter horse because he does not grow a big thick coat, he's old and he does get chilly. He's the only one.

I let my mini horses grow their winter coats.

I do keep blankets on hand though just in case.

I would only blanket or sheet if a horse were shaved and then that would be a different ball game.

Now, I do use sheets but that is only say after a rain or something or the snow has melted and there is mud. I will throw a sheet on a horse just for the purpose to keep them clean, so they don't get to be a muddy mess, say if I just got done with a big grooming or something like that. I can always wash the sheet, but not the horse.
biggrin.gif

BUddy came with two very nice blankets from Shepplers..a summer one and a padded Winter one..

Since was was bodyclipped when I got him in May, I haveno idea what his Winter coat is like..he's already making coat so we'll see. If he shivvers I'll blanket him otherwise no..

he'sa boy that LOVES to roll even in a stall! SO would have to watch him like a hawk.

I feel they only need them if they shiver or are clipped, and have to take into consideration where you live.

Where I live up in the North East I feel I have to. One some days you can get frost bite in under five minutes. I really feel it depends on the weather & where you live.

We are in Wisconsin and only had to blanket one mini last year, our dwarf, LADY. The rest get such super thick coats that I am envious! LOL! If I clip for an early show I would blanket then, but the minis have plenty of coat to keep them warm here in the winter.

jennifer
saludando.gif

We don't clip our horses.

We let their winter woollies grow out fully, give them shelter against the prevailing storms, feed extra hay when it gets really cold, and keep heaters/de-icers in their water troughs......and they do fine.

MA

I have blanket of every size and color and type. Heavy ones, light ones, sheets and weather beeters. Do I use em? Nope. I like having them JUST IN CASE. Maybe somebody gets sick or hurt or gets shivery. I know in the dresser drawer upstairs is something for somone if needed. I prefer to let em get REALLY hairy and look like llamas or yaks. I'm all done clipping for 2005 and they're beginning to shed and grow winter coats. But I do have em here and ready. If anyone needs one I may even have extra.
wacko.gif
Course I have asst baby blankets for newborns that I do use religiously laying in a heap in the laundry room waiting for their annual wash and store.
rolleyes.gif

I don't blanket mine either...The first winter I had them, I thought because I was cold so were they. So it took me a week of making the blankets myself..( I had a pattern ), And then I started to realize everytime I went into the barn how cozy it was in there. I started to check the thermometer inside and outside the barn and it was 15-20* warmer in the barn...Silly me I forgot that we insulated the barn to the maximum
wacko.gif
I tore up a brand new sewing machine to make 5 blankets that have never been on any of them, but they are here if I need them...

Anytime the temp goes below 0, I blanket every living thing.

This year I will start blanketing the minis in Feb to try and get them to shed their coats earlier, that and I will be keeping the lights in the barn on longer. I'm planning on doing some serious showing next year.

Your lucky only at 10 below..
new_shocked.gif
There are several nights we may get into the 20's below..Maybe even a wind chill of 40 to 50 below.. I have run in sheds no insulation in them and a door open for the little ones to get in out of the wind. But even at that no one is cold. I do not even own a blanket.. with 4 inches of thick thick winter coat much better then flatting it out with a blanket.. Then take the blanky off and then they would be cold then because the hair is not fluffy... I have even seen 2 inches of snow laying on their backs.. And I know full well that they are warm or the snow would melt...So if the body heat can't out to the snow to melt it... Then the cold is not getting in to get them cold either
laugh.gif

Ok so I'd like to have a blanket "just in case" where do I find one that will fit a 36" mini? I've seen them for babies and small minis on ebay but nothing larger.

Thank you all for the info! This will be my first winter with minis so I just wanted to be safe!

Leya

Our heat and humity is back and I started sweating just reading the title!
biggrin.gif

I do blanket the young ones, but, only when it gets down to 0* or below. Last year 2 weanlings were blanketed at that temp. Actually, the temp doesn't tell me, they do. Not sure if it is everywhere, but my young ones tend to shake when it gets that cold. Shaking=blankets

All of my came from Star Lake Tack, they are listed on the tack links here on LB.

shminifancier said:
Your lucky only at 10 below..
new_shocked.gif
There are several nights we may get into the 20's below..Maybe even a wind chill of 40 to 50 below.. I have run in sheds no insulation in them and a door open for the little ones to get in out of the wind. But even at that no one is cold.  I do not even own a blanket.. with 4 inches of thick thick winter coat much better then flatting it out with a blanket.. Then take the blanky off and then they would be cold then because the hair is not fluffy... I have even seen 2 inches of snow laying on their backs.. And I know full well that they are warm or the snow would melt...So if the body heat can't out to the snow to melt it...  Then the cold is not getting in to get them cold either
laugh.gif

463882[/snapback]

I was going to post almost the exact same thing, so you saved me some typing. It can get mighty cold here in NE Montana fairly near the Canadian border. I do have a mini blanket, but I know my stallion grows a good winter coat and will find out this winter what kind of coat my fillies grow.
wink.gif

jacks said:
Ok so I'd like to have a blanket "just in case" where do I find one that will fit a 36" mini? I've seen them for babies and small minis on ebay but nothing larger.
Thank you all for the info! This will be my first winter with minis so I just wanted to be safe!

Leya

463883[/snapback]

Leya,

It is always good to have one "just incase". Occasionally a horse will get sick and it's good to have back up.

Mini Horse Express is I think listed here on Lil Beginnings under "Horse Tack & Supplies' or something like that. They sell blankets. Also I have a friend who is selling blankets here locally in Oregon for someone and they are selling off all their new stock cheap.

PM me if you want and I will get her website and/or phone number for you.

MA

l live way up north and never blanket even at -40C which is pretty darn cold. l did put on coats for one winter and stall them years back and the horses were always cold and shivering when l took of the coats when it was sunny and mild out. Someone told me l was flattening out there hair and messing up there insulation because of my putting on coats to often we had a few snotty ones during that time but l think it was all my fault for thinking l was helping them out. Right now ours have hair about 3 inches deep even though it's been warm in the daytime but really cools of at night. When it is very cold in winter we give extra hay to generate heat and they always have shelter from the elements if they want. A sick horse in winter is a different story and they go into the barn get stalled and might wear a coat if necessary. Early babies have a heavy polar fleeze body suit they wear if need be. None of our horses are stalled in winter for any reason and very healthy and usually fat and we haven't had any flu or running noses here for years.

I have a bunch of sheets and blankets i got off ebay in all sorts of sizes--they are great! twpence01 is one of the people i have bought them from and she has all sizes and they usually start at about $5. jennifer
saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back