DO YOU TRIM YOUR OWN MINIS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity_Acres

Reaction score
I've had it with inept farriers around here! I have been through more farriers than I can count. I'm so so frustrated. I had a great one for a while. But now, he's unreliable and hasn't shown for two appointments. One with no call, the other...his wife called and said he would reschedule. That was in June. I've called but no reply. I had a new guy come out tonight only to find out that he's only been doing farrier work for 2 years and had never done minis. I was very unhappy with the results. I've looked high and low for an experienced farrier around here and they're either not taking customers, don't do minis or are outrageously priced!! I think I'd like to learn, but how? We have no schools within 50 miles and I work full-time. I thought about books or videos, but is that really a good idea? How many of you do your own minis? Is it difficult? I've been around horses all my life but we had a good farrier growing up. I'd like to hear ya'lls opinions. My only other option is to drive clear to Michigan every 8 - 12 weeks!
no.gif
With gas at $3/per gallon, I'd be better off paying the guy that charges $40 per horse!! I can't believe how hard it's been to find someone. Heck, I've yet to find an equine dentist too! I'm SO frustrated and concerned about getting good skilled practitioners for my horses. Shoot, I've just recently found a new equine vet and he's an hour away!!! ARGH!!!

Anyone in NW Ohio know of a good farrier? dentist? HELP!!

Hi,

I posted the same question a few weeks ago and got some helpful answers
smile.gif
Do a "search" with "hooves" and filter by my name "jdomep" and it will come up quicker
smile.gif
I am considering the "mini horse hoof trimming video" I found it on ebay for @$40.

I got the video a few years ago and it's OK but I found I needed "hands-on" training so my farrier taught me. She still does my trims for the most part but it's nice to know I can do it myself if she's unavailable. The video is definatley a good start though.

You are the perfect canidate for doing your own hooves... You have motive and drive! I wish you were around me as I would start to teach you in a heart beat. If you can find a farrier that is good, "see if he or she is willing to teach you", -as he does yours or even other peoples horses..... The one that taught me moved away suddenly, but "not" before I knew all that I needed to know- to do my own.(whew) Yes too many farriers are unreliable for this and that reason, and I personlly feel that more mini owners should just try to learn,.."in the event that something unforseen happens to their farrier, and they are left high an dry for who knows how long." (why let the minis suffer) I know it seems intimidating to watch someone trim a hoof,... but do it over and over and start to ask questions about why this and why that... You will be amazed at how fast you catch on! There is a right way and a wrong way and a good farrier can teach you the difference. Once you have it you will ask yourself why you waited so long to learn... Really! I hope this encourages you to try to learn.
yes.gif
(Just dont buy cheap tools when the time come to invest.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Margaret said:
You are the perfect canidate for doing your own hooves... You have motive and drive!  I wish you were around me as I would start to teach you in a heart beat. If you can find a farrier that is good, "see if he or she is willing to teach you", -as he does yours or even other peoples horses.....  The one that taught me moved away suddenly, but "not" before I knew all that I needed to know- to do my own.(whew)  Yes too many farriers are unreliable for this and that reason, and I personlly feel that more mini owners should just try to learn,.."in the event that something unforseen happens to their farrier, and they are left high an dry for who knows how long."  (why let the minis suffer) I know it seems intimidating to watch someone trim a hoof,... but do it over and over and start to ask questions about why this and why that... You will be amazed at how fast you catch on!  There is a right way and a wrong way and a good farrier can teach you the difference.  Once you have it you will ask yourself why you waited so long to learn... Really!  I hope this encourages you to try to learn.
yes.gif
(Just dont buy cheap tools when the time come to invest.)
463090[/snapback]

With all the problems mini owners seem to have getting a good farrier The easy answer would be to have a series of trimming schools around the country. I know it would be hard to get people to stay more than one or two days but could a good instuctor pass on enough info in that time. For learning purposes it would make sense for everyone to bring one or two of there own to work on near the end of session.

Just an idea. What do you think???

Mark

As a bonus section maybe we could get tips on how to not show up on time, cancel with out telling anyone, barbeque whilel trimming and what beer goes best with a good trim?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could help you find a farrier,but I have the same problem. That's why I started doing it myself. It's really not that hard after you get the hang of it...Good luck!!!

I trim my own mini's but I only have two so it is no problem. It is all about length, balance and correct angles for a horse of any size. Don't purchase cheap tools- get good ones as they will make the job easier. When I bought my two mini's my farrier offered that I practice on the older one (he was 3 at the time) because if I made errors on the little one (he was 6 months old at the time) that could cause problems. If I ever have a concern or question my farrier will help. I need to add I've never made an error with either one!!
biggrin.gif

The only odd thing is my smaller mini- he's a fine boned 31" guy. While trimming his hooves one day last March I decided that his frogs were way to inverted in his hoof. I took him to work (I work for an equine vet) and asked Doc to take a peek. He thought the frogs were odd too. As luck would have it a great farrier stopped by the clinic that day so we dragged his hiney out to the stall and said "Well, is this norma???" as he does some mini's. He said yes, normal IHO. My little guy (then not even 2 years old) is just plain lightweight so wider spreading seen normally in a hoof hasn't happened yet. Plus, Pippin isn't in any heavy work unless lounging around and munching goodies is the same as his huskier room mate pulling the cart with my old butt in it.
wacko.gif

It is very rewarding to be independent in a few areas of horse ownership. The hooves on a mini can be one of those areas.

I have done it in a pinch when a farrier could not get here (some farriers I have had in the past did not have schedule books which is a must for me and another was also outrageously expensive) and my current farrier (my favorite in 35 years of working with horses) will be seeing my latest trims since she could not get to me on the last trip due to a problem at my end (not hers).

Good tools are important - the new rasp I bought was well worth the money.

I still would love to find a course myself as I would love to know more about corrective trimming and even shoeing. When the trim is proper and balanced and the horse is comfortable, moving with style AND your newly trimmed horse comes out of the ring with a Reserve Junior Championship, it does make you feel good.
biggrin.gif

I'd love to know more about the video, too!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Hi,

If you have RFD-TV, watch Dennis Recise(Sp?) program. He has a horsetrimmer that has been working on Minis in the past couple episodes. He is very good, quiet and explains things very thoroughly. Very easy to understand.

Amanda

There is a very good video that Gene Ovnicek has done. It is available on his website - hopeforsoundness.com. I had Gene and his sons trim for me and was so impressed by their work - I bought the video - as I had to haul our minis to them, which isn't feasible now. I have been trimming ours due to the same problems with farriers you are having. Also if I have questions Gene or his sons are more than willing to help you out - I have called them with questions and got simple or easy to follow explanations.

Gene does do clinics all over, you might check on his website and see if he is scheduled to be in your area. I wasn't able to make it to the one he was having in Colorado but am looking forward to trying to attend the next one he has fairly close.

This is the same trimming Dennis Reis does on RFDTV, as they have an ad on their website for Dennis.

Latest posts

Back