Do you think Willow is Pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
I have another question. Not about Snickas or Texas. So on the 25th of Nov 2015 I wrote down the date Toby went over Willow. Its been 7 months now? I haven't seen him crazy over her since. At 7 months would she be really big if she was pregnant? I haven't really checked her for a while now so I know nothing really in the udder region.

Not too sure. Maybe if I take some photos and Pm them to one of you? I just don't think I should keep dragging out this topic, just if someone could have a look, I may start up a progress topic for Willow if any signs are positive for a foal? Ah, I dont know.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning Willow, since she could be approx. seven months, you van sometimes feel the baby. Do this after she starts eating. Wrap your hands around her belly right in front of her milk bag. Usually, but not always, you can start to feel kicks and bumps from foals. Both of my mares I felt movement around five mpnths along and they now have babies at side. Since she could be around seven months, you can watch her stomach (flank and lower in front of bag). You have to be patient and you may see movement. Works better if she is standing around resting.

Concerning Snicka and Texas. If you have an area that you can take her next to the other minis, that would be great. That lets the other minis see bany but can't rush mom. Mom running from other horses or kicking could get baby hurt. In my option, I would never let the two out with the two colts. If they are still studs, especially Kevin. He's going to want to bred Snicka and baby will get hurt.
We have three stallions and a yearling colt. The two older stallions wouldn't go out of their way to hurt bany, but hormones take over. They rear, strike out (front and back), if baby is in way; whammo. Our third stallion, we've had since a weanling, but he conpletely lets his testicles control him during breeding season. He wants to mount everything, even his new daughter. The yearling just plays ruff and is starting to figure out he is a boy. You can slowly introduce Willow to mom and baby.
You can start putting a halter on in a controlled environment . Stay out with her and never leave her unattended. Leave the halter on for longer periods, but never leave it on when your gone. When the halter goesnt bother he'd, put a lead on. Lead Snicka around have her follow. Don't drag her and if she pulls back, release the pressure until she moves forward again. We don't start asking our babies to lead and tie until they are at least a month old. It works out for the most part, because our babies are handled from birth. Temperament says a lot too. Our four week old filly should be easy, she already follows us around everywhere (even without mom). The new colt, we have to wait and see; but I think he's going to give us a run for your money. He's been fiesty from hour one, probably why is registered name is going to be Ready to Rumble.

Thanks heaps Magic Marker Minis! I'll try those
default_smile.png

Willow and Toby had a big argument this morning I had Willow tied up, I was giving her a brush I just went out of the yard to grab another brush and then I hear squealing and kicking, dust flying everywhere. I dont know who started it but they weren't gonna stop. Lucky my dad was there and he got the hose and sprayed Toby, poor Willow was disadvantaged on a lead.... Turn by back for 2 seconds and Bam. I'm just glad I wasnt still in there stuck in the corner! I have never seen any of my horses fight like that ever.

I do, my 'Night pen' as I call it is parted into two, maybe I could do that and see what they think
default_smile.png
I think Toby would be much worse in the 'stud' manner than Kevin, I haven't seen Kevin very interested in the girls that way before, well interested, but not crazy stud interested like Toby. But still, I wont let them with the boys
default_smile.png

Alright thanks, hardest thing is finding a tiny halter haha.

Okay, I'll grab some of Willow now. Although she is very wooly so its hard to see her udders.
default_smile.png

Udder development at this point would not be appropriate, if she's only suspected at being around 7 months, so that's fine. But her belly is a bit suspect. Try tomorrow getting her squared up in the picture from the back, and we can see if she's looking a bit lopsided or not.

Would she be a maiden mare? If so, this could be hard, because many maidens carry their little ones "up high" and tight, and it takes a bit to decide if they're pregnant or not.

And you can't count on Toby to tell you, since some of these girls will let a stallion breed them even if they are pregnant. Maybe a couple more pictures in a few days will help to see if anything is changing.

Oh sorry, my bad. I miscounted the months.

No she isnt a maiden mare, she has had 2 that I know of and apparently she had more previously. Okay, well I just wont keep my hopes up then
default_smile.png

We've so enjoyed watching and waiting with you, and so enjoy the pictures of this precious "Texas" !

If you find that you believe Willow is pregnant, we'll be so happy to watch again with you. Keep us posted on your new little one, and any surprises that Willow may have in store for you later this year!!

I'd still take pictures and show the aunties on this forum. Below is one of our mares we bred back in Oct, making her six months along. She's aborted once and had a filly last year. I don't think she is pregnant. Your mare from behind looks like her belly is lopsided, my mare doesn't (she would be a month further along).

CAM02055.jpg

CAM02056.jpg

Back