Do you think that dogs dream

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
I was doing some computer work, my sheltie laying by my side where he always is, and he started breathing VERY heavy, then, he did something that I have never seen any of my past dogs do while they selpt. He started wagging his tail. Real wags like he does when he see me.

I can only wonder what he was thinking. I guess many scientists believe they can.....dogs do obviously have some form of thought process...

Do you believe that they dream?

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know any other explanation for the furious running i see my dogs do when they are in a deep sleep not to mention the whining and occasional bark i hear. and yes, i've seen ashley's tail wag in her sleep. i like to think she's dreaming about me.
default_smile.png

On youtube there is a vid of a lab dreaming, hard. He is running all out in his dream, cant believe he didnt wake himself up. Anyhow, while still asleep he jumps up and takes off, right into the wall and falls over. Poor guy
default_laugh.png
I dont ever go there, but thats a vid to see if you do

Oh, yes! I know dogs dream.

Dogs also remember and have a great deal of thought process, regardless of what scientist think.

Mine know what I'm getting ready to do when they see me start a routine and they act accordingly. My parents used to have a dog and they'd tell him "Mommy will take you for a walk in the morning" (as opposed to Daddy, the usual). In the morning, he'd remember who was taking him for his walk.

They do things to try and get our food, they do things to try and get us to go take a nap, they let us know when they want to go outside, they beg for treats, etc. They do things themselves to inspire action from us so you cannot tell me they don't think (when often they are trying to out think US!).

dog50.gif

Absolutely I believe they do! Lakota's big paws are always going/paddling when she sleeps. And right smack in the middle of the night she's howled in her sleep many times before....talk about
default_new_shocked.gif
!!!! She sleeps right next to me.

Absolutely! I've seen it many times with my dogs. Mine often run in thier sleep and wake up suddenly...I know it's a good dream because they wag thier tails when they wake up.

Oh yes I do believe they dream and a lot! and if you have ever had a mare under camera for mare stare they dream too. We have a mare on right now who lays flat out and runs all night long.
default_smile.png

Oh absotutley!!! my dog does, but not in a good way. me and my mom think she dreams about her past life because she yelps, whimpers, and shakes, you actually have to wake her up. looks more like shes having a seizure... poor baby

I am sure cats dream, too. Once, my cat, Snicker, was sleeping beside me on the couch. My husband was making himself a sandwich, and decided to give the cats a little piece of cheese. He put Snicker's piece in front of his nose as he lay sleeping. Snicky's whiskers twitched, and he began making chewing motions, while still asleep! I guess he was dreaming about eating cheese. I finally woke him up so he could eat it before the other cat got it.
default_smile.png

I am sure cats dream, too. Once, my cat, Snicker, was sleeping beside me on the couch. My husband was making himself a sandwich, and decided to give the cats a little piece of cheese. He put Snicker's piece in front of his nose as he lay sleeping. Snicky's whiskers twitched, and he began making chewing motions, while still asleep! I guess he was dreaming about eating cheese. I finally woke him up so he could eat it before the other cat got it.
default_smile.png

Thats interesting about the cat! Now that I think of if, in the 17 years that my cat was alive, and she did her fair share of sleeping lol.....I never saw her so much as twitch a wisker.
default_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah my kitty cat Purdy dreams. She gets her paws going, whiskers flitching, eyes fluttering. She is now 13 years old and sleeps like a log. I have actually lifted her head all the way up in my hand and it is limp as all, she is a sound sleeper these days. Freaked me totally out the 1st couple times she did that, thought she was a goner. She is a feisty one, scrapping with the dogs so she lives an exciting life. She dreams a lot.

The video Pepipony mentioned, someone just sent me that lab video! I have seen a lot of dogs dream but never like that. I mean that dog was hauling @ss in his sleep, like he was being chased hard.
default_ohnoes.jpg
You should really see it!
default_new_shocked.gif
If you can't find it on UTube I can MP it to you. It's really awesome.

My Golden dreams out loud, so do my Jacks but I guess they dont have green meanies chasing them in their dreams cause they just kinda paddle their feet and maybe a bark.

I think it is to funny, when they are a sleep, call their name like you are calling from a great distance and in a whisper. Lots of time they will hear it and start dreaming, then they wake up and look at you like "What?" To funny.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back