Do you think she will go over 38"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammie

Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful bay pinto filly who is 3 months old and she is already about 32.5". I mostly have 'A' sized horses and she is already bigger than most of them. Her sire is 32" and her dam is 34.75". Do you think she will go over 38"? I would really love to train her to drive and show her in the future so I sure hope not. What are you experiences with the sizes of your 'B' sized foals?

Thanks,

Tammie~

I think it depends on the horse. I have now a yearling that is about 37 in.. she has been close to that height (35.50) at weaning and then her current height for a few months now.. i dont think she will grow more

[SIZE=14pt]I would bet she gets about 39 or 40,I have a 5 month old B gelding that is 31. I think he is going to be 37 like his grandma. His father and mother are both A horses. Grandma at 37 was also out of two A horses. I have a 36.5 mare also out of two under 32 parents![/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, I would plan that she will. If she dont its a added bonus. I have a weanling here, 4 months who is 30". She is expected to hit about 35". We had a few other who as foals showed in the 30-32 bracket and as yearlings were 33-34" and they toped out 36-37".

When I first read this, I thought "YES" but thinking harder, there are many horses who grow fast early, then taper off. I have seen this in my own that I've gotten as youngsters and in some at the stable where I keep some of mine. I'd look / consider the sizes in her background, too, as for coming up with a prediction. And, for what it is worth, if I were looking for another B horse to show, the bigger the better!

I don't think she will go over
rolleyes.gif
We raise B size minis. Our stallions are 30 in & 33in. Our mares are 34 to 37 in.

Some of the taller mares get their height early. We have kept several of our foals & they are useally 32 to 34 in at about 6 months. Then they top off when they are 2 years old.
yes.gif

Dont worry, take the chance
smile.gif
cjmm

I think it does depend on the horse. If it is fed well enough when it is younger, it can grow FAST, but then "top out" really early.

I have a colt that barely made the 30" cutoff for the "under" weanling class, then as a yearling was right at 32" (in fact showed in the "over" class once!) and as a two year old, was right at 33". Since then he hasn't grown even a fraction of an inch!
rolleyes.gif
That's an A size foal example.

As for B size foals, I can't remember exact measurements, but my horses do grow really fast at first, and then slow right down and stop. They like to keep my guessing, lol!!

I would guess yours won't go over 38", but it's hard to say....

yes.gif
Yes, if I was to wager a guess, I would say yes. I would expect her to finsih up at about 40-41" if she is indeed that size already at 3 months. Of course, there is no die hard rule, and different horses grow at different rates, but I personally would not take the chance.

Tammie said:
I just bought a beautiful bay pinto filly who is 3 months old and she is already about 32.5".  I mostly have 'A' sized horses and she is already bigger than most of them. Her sire is 32" and her dam is 34.75".  Do you think she will go over 38"? I would really love to train her to drive and show her in the future so I sure hope not. What are you experiences with the sizes of your 'B' sized foals?
Thanks,

Tammie~

461045[/snapback]

biggrin.gif
When she is finished growing, and she is trained to drive, AND if she goes over height send on over here to Canada and I would be happy to sport her around
wink.gif

I hope she works out for you Tammie. Have any pics to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly do not think it matters- you have bought her!! The time to worry was before you bought her. At three months none of mine would be weaned- and I do not bother too much measuring, except out of curiosity, until then. So,,,you need to measure her again in two months time when she will be a proper weanling- you may find she has not grown at all and a 32 + " weanling at five months is not that huge!! I have a 34" yearling- well 18 month- that I am pretty sure will make 36" but I do not have any real experience with the "B"s, height/growth wise. Just enjoy her and stop worrying!!
smile.gif

It really depends on the bloodlines - in particular if she is from a line that is known for rapid and early growth rates. Have you measured her cannon bone? For us, that has been the real indicator of mature height over the years. If you measure her cannon bone from the front with a straight edge ruler starting from the very top of the hoof (cornet band) to the direct middle of the knee and if she is 9 inches or under, it is likely that she will not exceed 38, anything over 9 inches will be iffy. If the measurement is 10 inches or more, in all of our experience only, she will go over.

However, based on "typical" growth rates, 32.5 at 3 months of age is pretty tall, especially if she is just 3 months of age.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I have measured her cannon bone at about 8 1/2" so hopefully she will grow to be a full 38" but no more. Either way it will not be a loss as she is an amazing little filly and I plan to drive her no matter what it will just be a shame if she cannot be shown.

Tammie~

Latest posts

Back