Do you think my mare is Pregnant or just Fat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and I got another photo
default_smile.png

When she suckles Snickas loves it, it must feel like a scratch because her nose starts wiggling haha.

2h4973p.jpg

Haha its pretty cute to watch
default_smile.png
Thanks, I will try get one now.

She wont lay down, she has laid down once. The first time she tried, she got on her knees and her butt kept going and she toppled over, it looked do awkward. Now she stands there with her nose almost on the ground and she sways a bit her eyes are closed, you can tell shes tired. I searched it up, and others have said some foals just cant figure out how to lay down and sooner or later they will lay down. Some said to try gently lay them down and sit with them. What do you think? Should I just leave her figure it out or see if I can help her out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Give her a little time to unfold and strengthen. Now that she is nursing you will probably find she is bouncing around like a kangaroo soon enough.

It wouldnt hurt to have have your vet out to have a look at the eye lash problem and for a general check up in the next few days
default_smile.png

Gee shes cute
default_smile.png

I hope so
default_smile.png

I'll have to talk to mum about getting a vet, they are just so darn expensive
default_thumbdown.gif
I'll keep attending her eye and see if it stops going in, I got the other one to stop, Im hoping this one will to, if not I will ask mum to get a vet.
default_smile.png

I think I might call them regardless.

We have new neigbours that breed race horses, The man was trimming his trees and i was sitting and watching Snick and the foal, and he asked how old she was and everything, said she was cute, I told him about her eye (it gets a but gunky from blinking) and he said leave that to Snickas, he said the more I touch and clean it the worse it gets.

She is a cutie!! Congratulations.

On her eye, yes, calling the vet just to ask about it wouldn't hurt. Keep up what you are doing and MAYBE add - gently pulling the eye lid up and back (kinda like a kid folding thier eyelid back). We have had to have 2 shetland foals' eye's stitched up like that - to "train" the eyelid/eyelash to not turn into the eye. A couple of days, the stitches were cut and the eyelids were fine.

Little baby now has a name! I wanted a nice name for her, not something like how we named Kevin for laughs then it stuck, and like her father, his name is Steve.

I was going to call her 'Moo' but she wasnt pinto.

So I decided to try something a little different and unique, I called her... Texas.

20586fb.jpg

Texas...

Why? What brought that name about? Curious minds wanna know...

She is a BIG filly...

I have had many people ask how I've chosen names. I've had names "arrive" before a foal (or a child) were born, I've had lists of names that didn't work at all (one colt we had just needed to be named "Rascal" - we never did find any other part of his name that fit well with it until the day he was sold at 3 yrs of age - then he became LP Painted "Walker's Rascal" - the girl who bought him was called "Walker"). He was a hard one - drove me crazy trying to name him!

Others - some have taken a day or two but a few have been named almost immediately at birth and yes, a lot of ours have been named for the weather or for other animals (animals seem to be more for the dogs...) and then have had twists on spelling. Flashi, Wyndy, Ayre, Cheri (part of full name is Cherish), Ellon (H..ell..on ..wheels) or Ellona (H...ell on a ...pedestal - can you tell she was a brat!??! - right from birth!).

Not sure exactly how GG came about - but Giraffe certainly didn't fit! GG is one of the few whose barn names only "sorta" matches her registered name... "GG" has a " Fisher Price" toy giraffe on her bum. Her registered name is now - LP Painted Silver Toy...

10jun10gi110.jpg

Turns out it wasn't Fisher Price but vintage Tupperware! Hmmm...

a82b0431b09238714910afff1bce5067.jpg

The Fisher Price giraffe toy -

mhJEuSM-7hSbpOHUZ8gMbiQ.jpg

Most of the rest - I've purposely named them to take the barn name from their registered name (or vice versa). I have changed a couple of barn names when I've gotten a new pony whose barn name didn't fit me for them. Hope that made sense?

I LOVE naming ponies - 9 times out of 10.

So .... What brought about the name Texas? AND more piccies!!!!

Really? I was thinking she was pretty small. Well that explains why Snick was so tired and sore then. Her back end was very swollen too, I kept an eye on it, it all looks normal today and Texas' lashes are sitting normally now, they fixed by themselves like my neighbor said they would
default_smile.png
Also Texas has done her first poop and she is full of energy
default_thumbup.gif

Yeah
default_smile.png
I named Bam Bam almost as soon as he was born
default_smile.png
I had a cat named Rascal once, it took me ages to name him
default_smile.png
Wow, you have named a lot of ponies! Love the names
default_smile.png

Thats really clever with the giraffe!
default_smile.png

--------------------

With the name Texas... Well I have always loved Texas I want to travel there. But I never thought I would name a horse that until I was searching through some mini horses for sale, something I do regularly, sometimes you see some really pretty ponies. Anyway, I was flicking through some sales yesterday and I scanned and the word 'Texas' brought my attention, it had something to do with a stallion bred in Texas or something I only briefly looked at it. At the time I was looking for name Ideas and I thought I could call her Texas.

I asked people(family and friends), some liked it, some thought it was weird, some just laughed at me thinking I wasn't serious. So I tried to find something different and kept thinking. I even looked up names on google to replace it and I just couldn't let go of the name Texas. My Nan wanted me to call her 'Dolly' or 'Missy' but I have met and heard of so many pets being called those names, I wanted something different. I told my Nan and how I thought I shouldn't name her that because of peoples opinions. My Nan said that I shouldn't worry about it, shes mine to name. So i named her Texas.

I had the name 'Moo' ever since i found out she was pregnant. Snickas is pinto and Steve (The father) his dam was pinto. So I had my hopes up that their foal would be pinto too. The reason 'Moo' was the colours of a cow haha.

So, I guess the name was kind of a coincidence, but the ad brought the name to my mind
default_smile.png
I thought it was different and unique, I have probably been getting those reactions probably because it sounds different.

Whats your opinion on the name??
default_smile.png

Thank you for participating by sharing your mare Snickas foaling journey! Congratulations on your gorgeous new filly "Texas"!

Please remember to add your new fillies photos to our yearly "new foal announcement" thread on the main forum, and also here on the pinned thread entitled "foals born with the help of this board".
New and updated photos and questions go on the main Miniature Horse Forum, there is also a pinned topic in this forum for updated photos of foals - everyone loves to see new foal announcements and updated foal photos!!
Thank you again and we hope to see your Mares here again next year!!
default_yes.gif

I will move this foaling journal into the yearly foaling journal archives forum after a few days of Congratulations!!

If you would like this thread moved to the foaling journal archives forum to keep for reference please let me know.

Willow is in a new thread here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back