Do you think my mare is Pregnant or just Fat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow she has certainly grown
default_smile.png
Looking good Carly
default_smile.png

She has, hasn't she Ryan
default_smile.png

Suebe, I cant have another colt here as I already have 2 that I have to geld here and having a 3rd will be a huge vet bill. First I need to get accepted into a job to pay for it all haha
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They would probably pay it then I'd pay them back over time. My parents did that for my older siblings when they were younger and needed something they couldn't afford. But they wont do it until I have a job so I can actually pay them back.

Are you close to anywhere you can get a job at? From your posts i feel you are quite rural (which sounds wonderful, im rural but still too close to people for my liking!!)

I have applied at a few jobs already, I will probably be trying for more soon. Yeah we are about 5-10 mins out of town so its pretty good.
default_smile.png

Yeah, Me too haha but dad said I cant be picky. I have applied at 2 horse tack stores, a pet shop and a discount store so far. Id be quite happy with anything as long as its not fast food haha. Id have a breakdown there.
default_smile.png

When I was your age - I took care of neighbor's homes while they were gone/on vacation (picked up their mail, turned lights on/off like someone in the house, watered gardens/picked veggies, fed/groomed/walked/cleaned up after animals); cleaned houses; worked &/or trained horses; baby sat. Worked for parents' companies - addressing envelopes and "stuffing them" w/ info to send out (catalogs), janitorial work for one of the companies mom worked for...

When I could drive - I worked other jobs - from horse/property care, riding instruction, fast food (2 different ones), business supply store, microfiche film checking, dry cleaning shop. Had a short time job working for an acquaintance of my parents'. That company sent computer boards to Australia! It was well paid, but long days - I soldered major parts on those boards - they were very happy w/ the work when I got to the point there were never any breaks in the solder runs. Not sure if those boards are still in operation - they were my pre-cursor intro to computers in the late 70s early 80s. His company did computer development work for IBM originally...

Think outside the box, so to speak. There are lots of things you could do!!

Do you sew? What about doing repairs to horse blankets (sometimes requires a heavy duty machine). Painting fences, painting rooms. Walking dogs. Tutoring for school. Weeding the garden or fetching groceries for elderly or injured adults. Working in the library. Radio or TV in your town do they need "runners", "errand-person"? and now I'm drawing blanks.

Do your guidance counselors at school line up jobs for students? I know we sometimes had some that did...

Let us know what you end up doing.

Wow, you did a lot! I feel so lazy compared to what you accomplished!

I actually never thought of those sort of things, like working outside of companies and private for other people. I can sew, I'm no expert but I have fixed up some rugs from my little terrors just hand sewing though. Its like they just love destroying the things I buy for them haha. I used to sew things for fun or to fix clothes. But I have only used a sewing machine in sewing class and a couple times at home.

I do painting a lot around home haha so I'm all familiar with that. How would you find someone that needs any of that done? Like painting or weeding gardens ect?

Some jobs come up but most are just courses.

Will do
default_smile.png

Just make a flyer and pop it in the local shops, esp the hardware type shops. When i was your age i was working in a kennel so maybe look around the local dog kennels? They usually like younger people they can legally pay pittence to lol

I don't know how the laws in Australia work, I know that it seems a lot harder for young folks here now than it did when I was growing up. I did a lot of the jobs that I had right in our own community. Folks saw me outside w/ our horses, figured I knew how to work and would stop in and ask. After the first job of house sitting, work got around quick and every summer for 5 years, I was caring for houses/yards etc. At one point, as a teenager, I made more than I do now (YES, I DID!) - since I was young and fit it felt like the work was easier than what I do know (I certainly didn't get as tired).

Some of the jobs came about thru the companies that my mom worked for. She worked for one - owned by a family. That company was branched out into many companies - over my 4 high school years - I worked for several of those companies in different capacities (the first ones were before I was legally old enough or could drive - I walked to the office from school a couple of miles/5 KM and did the janitorial stuff. Rode home with mom and was paid as contract labor, so much per hour. My hours were tracked by both my mom and another employee. When I wasn't working, I sat at a desk and had access to a typewriter, good one, that I did my homework/reports with. Mom was kinda a do everything type of person - but mainly a bookkeeper just short of a Certified Public Accountant.) The main company was an investment firm, I don't even know what some of the others were - realty - rented office space to other businesses. I worked at the one building, after I could drive, as both a receptionist in the main lobby answering phones for the 5 or so businesses housed in that building. Then I also worked part time for one of the other businesses - a business supply store, different building - stocking shelves and running the register, meeting customers, taking down special orders and getting them to the owner to order. Couple days a week or so.

Got an allowance at home BUT my sister and I did the majority of the house cleaning and it was SPOTLESS. When we finally moved to our own 5 acres, took care of the outside animals along w/ the jobs. I actually started getting paid jobs between the ages of 8-10 when we lived in Hawaii - picked up after dogs in our neighbors yards! My sister hated that job, but she loved spending her $$, LOL... The high school years were when we had our own horses/property and I switched from most of the indoor chores to outdoor chores. Dad did most of the heavy stuff (but WAS NOT AN OUTDOOR person) - we put up fence, hauled hay removed all those darned Yucca plants (or at least reduced the number of them - didn't get them all out in the years we lived there).

Part of the reason so many jobs - we were military. We moved around. I don't remember the first 5 places or so we lived... When Mom & Dad divorced when during my 1st year of college, my jobs didn't earn me enough at that time to pay for my own schooling, so it was back to work - many of those jobs were part time and stepping stone type... For 10 of those years, while going to school and working, Mom and I purchased horses from dealers 1 at a time at low prices, got them fed, into shape, broke to ride and resold - at that time we always made a nice profit even w/ the care we took of them. Now a days, for me, that's impossible...

Before I was 21 - I was only in the house long enough to change clothes, make my bed, prepare/eat/clean up after meals and sleep. Only an occassional movie/tv - except during bad storms - which we then usually didn't have power, so no TV anyway. Both my sister and I "cheated" - the tv was on while we did homework in the kitchen/living room. When parents weren't home we could do homework in living room, across from the tv, when home - at the kitchen table.... LOL.

On my 21st Bday - I was in the air headed many states away (to the SOUTH!) for basic training in the Army... After Basic, went to advanced courses - electronics. Met my hubby to be there. Then to Korea for 13 months (don't let anyone ever tell you women weren't there!!) - Larry proposed over the phone from Germany - 16 hours time difference. Then to Germany and 1/2 way thru 1st year there - Larry and I married. Took a short "honeymoon" - during the "Darling Denmark" tour. We were married in Roskilde, Denmark and we had a BLAST! Our military jobs kept us apart for the 1st 2 years of our marriage or so...

Life in the Jones (my maiden name)/Hoffman family has NEVER BEEN DULL!!

AFter I got out of the military (Army), he stayed so I was an Army spouse for a number of years. Lots of other stories young lady - our children don't know the half of it. Many aren't wild or fantastic - some were just hard. Life has a couple of times taken some nasty turns - we survived! And we are both still working - sometimes it seems like harder than ever before.

I was looking to go to a kennel but you have to be 18 and its mainly only volunteer work with no pay.

I would love to do a course in Photography! Mum and I have actually come up with so many ideas for me outside of businesses, but all have come down with similar issues as to why I couldn't do them.

One was Dog walking, The issues were- Transport and my mum didn't want me walking around a busy town by myself.

Dog Washing was another, Issues- Dog may have an allergy to the products then its my fault, and we would have to make a suitable area to wash, and Lacey my dog gets jealous.

I got really good at making rope halters, and I wanted to sell them- Postage was expensive and I would barley be making a profit.

Pet Photography- Transport again.

There was so many things I wanted to do but all came down to something, I get my Learners drivers licence in like 3 weeks (SCARY!) and Next year I will be able to drive myself places.
default_smile.png

I would relook at the halters. Postage may be higher, but get some rope, make a halter, price the postage and teh rope and add on a few dollars. its not going to make you rich, but its something. I would pay a good £15-20 for a rope halter which is around $40

Try not to do anything with animals solo, as you won't have the experience to be honest. The kennels i worked in were boarding kennels, not shelter ones, but if you can't get to them you need to try things at home. Can you edit photos? I know a lot of horsey people like nice photo edits of their horse. Most charge approx £10-15 which would be about $35

Another thing to think about is website making. I make websites using a programme thats super easy to use, and build some nice websites. I charge £60 for a basic small website so $125ish (its called xara web)

One thing I've always told my children is to keep track of what companies you work for, what you did for that company, whom you worked under (your supervisor), how much you earned - whether salary or hourly and what you earned when your job was finished. Keep that info safe - That can be important years from now. Also, keep a hold of your high school transcript - you may need it again.

I've got documents that I've kept in a fireproof "box" for a while now. I need to go get a safe deposit box at the bank now.

Until you can drive, you have a nice layout at your place. You could do a lot of photos right there at your place - out doors, would think. Does Australia have yearbooks in school? Do seniors get pictures taken? Sr pics outdoors are all the "in-thing" here!

There are also photo courses on line - some of them I've heard are very good...

As to jobs I've had, I've been told by prospective employers to NEVER list all those - some not pertinent to the position being applied for, and just plain "too many". When One person asked why I'd worked so many jobs, they didn't understand that as part of a military family we often moved every 18 - 24 months. In 12 years of school, I was in 9 different schools!! We were in Hawaii for 4 yrs but we lived in 3 different homes while there.

The last several jobs I've applied for, I've been able to do some pretty detailed, specific resumes that targeted the position I wanted - w/o listing all the different types of jobs or the "short times" I was employed by some.

We dont have year books here, but at our school they sell books with every students photo in them and in some parts they make collages of the events that happened throughout the year ect. But all that is done by a professional photo company. We have nearly 2000 students at our school.
default_smile.png

Yes Id like to do an online course actually- mum wants to do one with me haha. Just getting some money for it all is the issue haha. My parents said that If I have a job and want to get a course they will pay half my first course. When I wanted to do pet grooming (I dont want to anymore) We looked up the online course and it cost $3000 for one course haha.

This doesn't have much to do with this topic, but today it was super hot. My friend is over at my place and the heat was killing us, our logic was to go on a 5 hour walk which was mostly up hill... We eventually got home, but on our stop at a park we saw this adorable gelding! He came straight to the fence for a pat, he was so sweet-a bit nippy and cheeky though haha. I have to show a photo of him, he melted my heart. I could have stayed there all day with him but we thought we might head back, we had a long walk home haha.

Oh and yes I love editing photos haha
default_smile.png

Just there is a few different ways to edit, do you mean just general edit like making the photo look nicer, bringing up more colours and adjusting the lighting? Or do you mean like Photoshop edits, like cutting things out, making layers ect. Or is there a different way you mean? Here are 2 of my examples on what I mean.

This is what I mean by adjusting things. (Probably not my best example, Oh well.)

And this is what I mean by Photoshop and layers.

And you get this as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back