Do you think it is fair.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a 17 year old girl, yes I do think it is fair.

I saved my money to buy my very first horse so that she could be mine and I will never sell her. I think because I paid for her I appriciate her more than I would if she had just been handed to me. So yes I do think it is fair.

[SIZE=14pt]I not only think it is fair but necessary. Katie paid for her first mini mare. I bought her and she made payments to me. My kids didnt have jobs while in high school because they were involved in Madrigal choir and church activities and I wanted them to be able to study as well. I paid her to do chores, she got some baby sitting jobs once in a while, sold some of her clothes to a consignment shop etc. When she got married 4 years later, She sold the horse to help us pay for her wedding since I had just had to stop working because of my sight. I think it teaches responsibility and that nothing in life is for free. She is now 25 and a mother and very careful with her buget.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I can't say YES loud enough!!!
aktion033.gif

As hard as it would be for some of us to live w/out them, a horse is NOT a necessity in life. Too many kids think that their parents OWE them anything they want, not just what they need.

I worked very hard to buy my horses - even had to trade in my first mare to get my show gelding - a very hard lesson!
no.gif
My parents did help me to find ways to earn money, and they did a dollar match so I could afford a better horse sooner (I paid $1000 for the horse + my beloved mare and they gave me $500. In 1980, it took a lot of sweat for a kid to earn $1000!!!). My mother took me to the bank and helped me open my first savings account for it and they taught me HOW to save for it - and that i needed to have more than what I was going to spend before I bought the horse. I also had to help earn his keep either by paying for some of the feed/vet/farrier or by doing extra work to earn it.

But I loved each of my horses the more for it.
saludando.gif
And I can't tell you how proud I was the day I handed the money I had earned over to the seller. They were MINE and I had a sense of pride in them and a feeling of accomplishment in myself - they were not just something given to me, but something truly earned. These are good life lessons.

Personally, I would not ask my 13 year old to buy her own horse.

I got my first pony at 8 and my sister was 12 when she got hers. My parents paid for everything, horse, feed, tack, shows etc BUT they NEVER lifted a FINGER to help!!!!!!! We were 100% responsible for ALL the work. I had ponies until I left home at 18 and my parents never did any of the work. My sister and I were taught a great lesson from this. We also knew we were privileged to have ponies and NEVER to take it for granted!

I think it was a fair deal!

I got my first pony Bobby, a 12.2 welsh/connemeara mix for my Birthday!!!! He was awesome!!!!

I am a big believer in chores!!!!

My daughters are 5 and 4 and they already have chores! I never got paid for regular chores, they were not a choice! We could do additional chores for money like mow an acre for a buck! Gee it would have taken me a long time to save for that horse!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill said:
YES!!! Are you planning to help her with the purchase price, or for her to buy one that "only" costs $500?  You may end up getting a bargain, but it's not easy to find a "great" show horse for $500.  If she's just planning to show at local open shows, I bet she could do well.  My only "hedge" on this is that $500 to a kid is one very expensive horse and I wouldn't want her to get her hopes up if she's planning to show at registry shows.

441418[/snapback]

I agree with this by the way ... if she does earn the money herself, it could be heartbreaking to work hard to buy a horse only to have something that she can never win with.

Sometimes you will find a good "B" size gelding or colt for sale (rarely an "A") that could do a respectable job in some classes at local shows. If she wants to do jumper, hunter, obstacle, or showmanship, she is more likely to find somethign that she can win with in that range IF she is very patient and able to train the horse herself. She is far more likely to find a good "B" size in the $750 range than the $500 (it usually costs the small breeder at least $500 for the breeder just to get them on the ground)

I can't speak for anyone here, but personally I do give discounts for 4H and youth show homes IF the horse is shown at least one year and IF the child has earned their own money. When she is ready to buy, post an ad here. You might find someone willing to sell or even lease her a good colt or gelding if they know it's going to someone who has earned it and will give it a good home.

also, she could get bit my the mini bug, and want more horses, and if you paid for the first one, I think she will expect you to pay for the next ones!!

I know it is possible, like I said I saif $2500.00 for all my animals! and i still have $400.00 in the bank!

and saving for my next horse! after i buy that, I will save for my next hosre ECT.

-Gage-

I agree with hhpminis

I buy ravens horses (she is only 8 after all) but she has been showig for a few years. She has to work and do chores with the horses as she gets older she is much more help. She conditions, helps feed and water and MUST maintain a good attitude any snottiness at a show or forgetting to tell others in her class good job (no matter if she beats them or they beat her) she isnt allowed to show so for now that is her contribution.

I would have to say yes and that way she will also learn the value of the dollar and responsibility.

Then also speaking of responsibilities, will she also be working to pay for the feed and Vet bills?

Cleaning and caring for the horse? These minis may be small but carry a lot of whopping Big Responsibilities.

If you feel that she is ready for this undertaking then I agree that she should save for it, but as she is your daughter, I believe that you have the final say and will do what you feel in your heart is best for her!
yes.gif

Good luck to the both of you

Joyce

Ok thanks you guys.She already has $400 and she said she wanted a mini of her own that she could do whatever she wanted.I will give her $500 out of my money to help her get a good mini.
biggrin.gif

First I have to say GOOD FOR U GAGE!!!!! And yes I got my horses when I was a kid by saving my money and paying at least a good chunk of the horses purchase price.

We got horses for my daughter for the same reason we had my son playing ice hockey from the age of 5. It keeps them out of trouble and gives them something to feel good about themselves.

My daughter works hardest of all with the horses. When we sell one, she gets some of the money.

So she didn't have to pay with money. She paid with hard work!

I would NOT like a 13 year old of mine thinking because she had bought the horse she could of what she liked with it!! I know that probably came out wrong on your behalf, but, think about it- she still has to listen to what you say, and do as she is told- otherwise she could end up being hurt!!

yankee_minis said:
We got horses for my daughter for the same reason we had my son playing ice hockey from the age of 5.  It keeps them out of trouble and gives them something to feel good about themselves.  My daughter works hardest of all with the horses.  When we sell one, she gets some of the money. 

So she didn't have to pay with money.  She paid with hard work!

441730[/snapback]

i wasn't going to post..

i agree its very fair!... depending on the family life,

all my minis & horses were already here, except Joy & i really don't care what others think.. but i didn't pay for her with money... I can't really leave my house much... i help take care of my grandfather & do the house cleaning & right now i'm doing Every thing at the stable, I do work, but i don't get payed with money... i got payed with my filly.

so i agree with yankee
yes.gif

yes.gif
Yes it is fair.

I have a 12 year old who saved her money to buy her own miniature mare to show..

It was one of the best things I ever let her do, I could of added money to the pot but she said "no Mom this ones going to mine alone" At frist I was thinking I should help alittle. But no she wanted to do it herself. Told me what she wanted I searched adds, web-sites ect. If it looked like one she might like I gave her the info she went and looked ( yes, I drove) in the end she picked out a filly made the deal and now has a very nice little mare! And alot of new found confidence!

Yes it fair and right!!!

Had a friend who gave her daughter anything she wanted. Horse? Sure. New saddle? Why not? Better horse? OK, no problem. Kid never had to work for a thing. All she had to do was ride, Mom did all the work.

That kid grew up to be the most self-centered SOB I EVER met. Still is.

Yes, the child needs to at least pay part of the purchase price. Then it makes it all worthwhile!

Lucy

I was allowed to buy my first horse if I got the money to buy her. I was 14. I saved every last dollar I had and had $475 come fall (took 8 months). I bought an old mare and a saddle and bridle. I always looked foward each time I had money to go to the bank and deposit it and watch it grow. I look back and see how proud I was and what I accoplished with that mare. Sadly I lost her 9 months later to colic and to end her suffering was also my decision which I took seriously if not regretfully. Still to this day I follow that rule- you want to be responsible for a living thing you will help to buy and support it.

Tammie

smile.gif

It certainly is fair. I bought my first horse by myself and paid for EVERYTHING,

that involved his care. Didn't have a car and had to either walk or take the bus,

5 miles every day to the stable. My parents did not like horses at all. It taught

me the greatest responsibility, my horse depended on me for everything! I

think it's great she want's to save for a horse but the care is even more import-

ant. Linda B
yes.gif

Fred said:
smile.gif

It certainly is fair.  I bought my first horse by myself and paid for EVERYTHING,

that involved his care.  Didn't have a car and had to either walk or take the bus,

5 miles every day to the stable.  My parents did not like horses at all.  It taught

me the greatest responsibility,  my horse depended on me for everything!  I

think it's great she want's to save for a horse but the care is even more import-

ant.  Linda B
yes.gif

443039[/snapback]

No, I do not. I'm all about responsibility and kids doing their share of chores, but to have to earn $500. that's pretty darn steep to me. I think that is way too much cash for a child of that age to have to come up with. It can result in too much worry or stress. I think that kids need to realize that horses should "enhance" their life, not take it over and rule them or dictate to them. Sounds like way too many chores for a child at that age to be doing. She also needs to concentrate on school too. All work and little play may make for a frustrated girl.

My first job was when I was 16. I began working at the library after school and at the ice cream shoppe on weekends. I saved nearly every dime towards getting my first horse. I didn't have enough until I was 18. I waited. But I did it.

I think you could maybe ask her to contribute a small percentage of her earings though towards feed or something like that.

13, though, is just too young.

This is just my humble opinion.

I am not surprised at Linda Bests reply she is STILL the hardest working person I know ( as well as the "Best" farrier on the planet)and has the cutest little girl showing the last time I saw her who obviously works pretty darn hard as well!

aktion033.gif

Bonnie

Latest posts

Back