Do you think it is fair.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do u think it is fair to make my 13 year old daughter save $500 dollars of her own money to buy her her very own mini that seh can use to show?

yes I do! I have bought over $2500.00 in one mare(that can not have babies) one colt and a chihuahua! I am 13 years old and I got my mare when I was 11 for $800.00 and then when I was 12 I got my Chihuahua wich was $500.00 and then this year I am 13 and I am getting a $1200.00 colt! I am a true beliver that if kids have to pay for it themslefs, they will care about more!! even if my parents did buy me a horse, I would care about it, cause i know how it feels to pay for everything, before I would have payed all that money, I probably woudnt care for the animal as much!! I love my animals and i am proud to say I payed for them, my parents didnt!!

I get accused of being spoiled for getting all the animals i have, I tell them thats not true!! I pay for ALL my animals, it my hobby, and that is what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life!!

I tell them, call me what you want but at leat I KNOW that I payed for my animals and my mom and dad did not lend me money!

-Gage-

[SIZE=14pt]Absolutely! [/SIZE] I would help her out some though - maybe match so much to each 100.00 she saves...

Depends how old she is...if she's anything over the age of 5 Id say yes it's totally fair. As long as you give her jobs to do so she can make the money unless she is older and already has a job. I think too many parents spend much too much money on their kids horses and don't make tehm do enough work...which can result in a child that isn't responsible and no longer likes horses after two months...Totally NOT saying that is what your child is like I'm just basing that on what I've seen. I think if she does save it all up it shows she is extremely responsible and dedicated.

Heck I'm seventeen years old and I'm in the process of buying two new horses and after that I'm saving up for a horse trailer and a car. That's while I pay all my animal and cell phone bills. If I can do it anybody can.

My parents are always there to help me out if I need the money but I prefer to do it myself. It makes me feel more responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think it is great! I'm a pretty old-fashioned type parent and have strong values. I want my kids to have good values too. Learning the worth of money and hard work is something many people lack IMO!

Gage said:
yes I do!  I have bought over $2500.00 in one mare(that can not have babies) one colt and a chihuahua!  I am 13 years old and I got my mare when I was 11 for $800.00 and then when I was 12 I got my Chihuahua wich was $500.00 and then this year I am 13 and I am getting a $1200.00 colt!  I am a true beliver that if kids have to pay for it themslefs,  they will care about more!!  even if my parents did buy me a horse, I would care about it, cause i know how it feels to pay for everything,  before I would have payed all that money,  I probably woudnt care for the animal as much!!  I love my animals and i am proud to say I payed for them,  my parents didnt!!
I get accused of being spoiled for getting all the animals i have,  I tell them thats not true!!  I pay for ALL my animals,  it my hobby,  and that is what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life!!

I tell them, call me what you want but at leat I KNOW that I payed for my animals and my mom and dad did not lend me money!

-Gage-

441245[/snapback]

hey Gage, how did you make allll that money? lol

Just for input from the other side of the coin here.

I did pay for all of our horses. My daughter worked very hard throughout her teen years. She did a lot of the conditioning, I did the training, she often fed, we both did chores, she helped prepare for shows and she worked like a trooper at them.

It was something that we did together and it gave us a bond that will never be broken. We had some very fun summers, some that we were hardly home, just her and me on the road.

When she was 15, after we had been to Nationals, she approached me in the kitchen and gave me a big hug and said, "Mom, this was the best summer of my life, thank-you" If any of you have 15 year old girls, you know how much that meant to me. Made every penny I ever spent well worth it.

She did not get handed them on a silver platter, she worked right along side me but I did make the $ investment.

_minihorses4ever_ said:
Gage said:
yes I do!  I have bought over $2500.00 in one mare(that can not have babies) one colt and a chihuahua!  I am 13 years old and I got my mare when I was 11 for $800.00 and then when I was 12 I got my Chihuahua wich was $500.00 and then this year I am 13 and I am getting a $1200.00 colt!  I am a true beliver that if kids have to pay for it themslefs,  they will care about more!!  even if my parents did buy me a horse, I would care about it, cause i know how it feels to pay for everything,  before I would have payed all that money,  I probably woudnt care for the animal as much!!  I love my animals and i am proud to say I payed for them,  my parents didnt!!
I get accused of being spoiled for getting all the animals i have,  I tell them thats not true!!  I pay for ALL my animals,  it my hobby,  and that is what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life!!

-Gage-

441245[/snapback]

hey Gage, how did you make allll that money? lol

441280[/snapback]

I raised pigs and sold them at the county! I also mow a few lawns and I get payed once in a while for doing stuff around the house! I also dont spend money on ANYTHING, then when I get enough money, the only thing I will spend it one is horses!! I save ever penny I find!! I dont think I have bought once toy in the last year, I consider my animals toys!

-Gage-

Wow Gage

You sound like me! Hehe, I am doing that right now, although its to pay off my show bills! I just found a dime like 10 min ago, and guess where it went...
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

I would say it is fair IMO. It is a good lesson and teaches the value of a dollar. I have only saved up for one of my horses (
unsure.gif
) and it was a pain in the butt having to wait and save, wait and save, but when I finally had enough it was very satisfying knowing that I worked my butt of for it.

If you were making her save up for a like 5,000 dollar horse then hey that might be unrealistic for a 13 year old, but $500 is a good price to save up for a kid.

Dee

Yes it is fair, so long as there are ways for her to earn that money. My parents told me I could have a horse if I also earned the money, but then never gave me an allowance ( but they did my older sis, and we shared all chores) and wouldnt allow me to earn it any other way.

I think $500 is totally attainable and reasonable for a determined 13 year old who wants a pony.
aktion033.gif

I was 14, paid $1,500 for him ($500 down, balance due in 6 months) I scrimped and saved and slaved for every single penny. I was 100% on my own to buy and support my pony but that was fine by me- at least my parents had said I could have him!
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, absolutely so long as there are plenty of safe ways for her to earn money. I take you are not "horsey" yourself?? It is exactly the same as if she wanted a really expensive bike or piece of clothing- you would say, "Fine, buy it yourself" The one thing I would say is this. We never made any of the kids buy any of their ponies, even though buying the Show Pony really skinned us out- it was our decision to by and expensive pony. BUT when the pony was sold, no matter how much for, (which was not often, they usually died with us!!) the money was OURS!!!

Oh My YES! When I was 13 I would have saved whatever I could if I could have my own horse, but since we lived in FL on the beach that wasn't going to happen - no matter how I wished. She surely will appreciate the horse so much more IMO.

Even though my parents were very well off - we were not handed things we wanted - we had to earn money for them. I started saving money for my first car at 13 and by 16 I had $3000 from babysitting for $1 an hour.

She can do it! And Kudos to you for setting an attainable goal for her
wink.gif

I wish you lived near me I am always looking for a "helper" to watch boys while I do my fun barn stuff.

Absolutely! Does she have accessability to a job? She will learn that money comes from sweat not mommy's purse! A great life lesson!

The summer I was 13 I mowed hay and drove tractor while the little cute guys stacked the hay on the wagon to buy my school clothes. Did not hurt me one bit.

Fran

It is probably one of the best things she'll learn. The value of hard work to earn something so wanted. My daughter bought all 3 of her horses from age 15 on. It taught her the value of hard work, earning a living and the joy of attaining the goal. Do you plan to match her funds to get a "show" horse? I did this for mine. well, only the first one.

YES!!!

When I was 13, if I had such an option of being able to buy my own horse (ANY horse) if I saved for it myself, I would have felt like the luckiest kid in town.

By having her put her own, hard earned money into buying a horse, she will be sure to appreciate it's value in the monetary sense and she'll probably be even more proud of it than if it were just given to her.

Are you planning to help her with the purchase price, or for her to buy one that "only" costs $500? You may end up getting a bargain, but it's not easy to find a "great" show horse for $500. If she's just planning to show at local open shows, I bet she could do well. My only "hedge" on this is that $500 to a kid is one very expensive horse and I wouldn't want her to get her hopes up if she's planning to show at registry shows.

Yes, absolutely! -- and she should be prepared to spend a portion of her additional money (allowance or income whatever) to care for the mini... OR --- work for you in the barn to help pay for the expenses.

JIMHO

Latest posts

Back