do you think hes smokey black?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

im really puzzled by his tail. Im pretty sure hes a minimal tobiano and his tail is like a split tail with black running down it. then on top there is one really white stripe and the rest is this smokey color.

His sire is black and white pinto and his dam i think is a black sabino. Black with huge white blaze and roaning scattered about but alot in the flanks.

bb04.jpg

aww thanks!! this is a terrible pic of him (his legs are all over the place) but the only one that showed the weird color of his tail. im not very good with dilute colors and i know smokey black is one of the harder ones to see

What's the background on the sire and the dam as far as colors?? I'm thinking if his sire and dam are not buckskin or any of those dilute colors then he probably isn't but it's likely that one of them were smokey black themselves. he is a cutie!!
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Kay,

He sure is a pretty boy. But JMO I wouldn't think that he could be a smokey black. With all the black in his background, he would really need to have a dilute parent. I think the tail is common for the pinto marking. But he is gorgeous

Lara

Kay....he's gorgeous!!
yes.gif
The Sabino could be causing the light in his tail. But...it is "possible" he could be a Smokey Black...IF one of his black parents was actually a Smokey Black. Are there any "dilutes" behind them?

He reminds me so much of one of my CockRobin sons "Khemosabi". He was out of a blood bay mare. Khemo was jet black with 4 high whites & dark blue eyes. (which may have turned brown later on...I sold him as a weanling.) No other white on him except for a tiny white spot about the size of a fingernail on his withers under his mane. Definitely a genetic pinto!
yes.gif

I would love to see what he looks like today...but lost track of him.
sad.gif

f26eb8d0.jpg

Unless there's dilute behind him on one side or another -- which would make the parent a smokey black, he won't be a smokey black. I would call him a minimal tobiano for sure! (And an adorable one too!)

MA

thanks for trying! its just so weird how there is one bright white stripe down the tail and black going down the middle but the rest is so muddy colored. The only one that could be a smokey black i would think would be his dam. She was a very odd color but i think its because she was so heavy sabino. For sure her base color is black.

Dona i cant get over how much he looks like your boy! im so in love with this colt
wub.gif

heres the pic i posted of him the other day--this guy is all legs LOL

backblacknew-324x236.jpg

I say regular black with a sun burnt tail.

Kay that is NOT a typical Sabino face marking. As you are all aware by now Tobiano does not, on it's own, carry face white and he also does not look like a minimal Tobiano to me- although there are no hard and fast rules here at all!!! I think you have Splash!! I do not think he is a Smoky Black, although, obviously, you could have him tested and know for sure.

Kay, I love your colt! Unless he has a creme gene from his sire or dam, I think he is black with the baby color/sunburnt tail. The tail will darken up as he loses his baby hair in his tail, or, if it is sunburnt, then as it grows out. jennifer
saludando.gif

well none of my other horses with white tails have tails this color so that is what is throwing me off. Also what throws me is the one vivid white stripe going thru the tail. Then the middle is black and the rest this weird dirty color. Im going to have him tested for color and tobiano. Rabbit i feel sure hes a min tobi. I have never seen a horse with a split tail that wasnt tobi. Also the jagged edges on the legs make you think pinto. His dam i think is splash as she has white from under her forelock to the bottom of her lower lip. i dont care if hes smokey black or not just wondering
smile.gif
guess ill get the test and find out for sure

thanks everyone!!

Latest posts

Back