Do you show when your horse's mane is dammaged?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epona Stable Belgium

Reaction score
My little boy found my tree so nice that he scratcht on it and lost a peace of his mane's, not so bad, but it looks like I cut his manes...

I could kill my tree for this!! but boyfriend will be verry angry
default_biggrin.png

28675883.jpg

You can't see it verry good but when you look from ears to tail, its long in the beginning and short at the end...

lucky for me the top of his mane/neck is not dammaged just the long hairs of his manes...

Don't know if i explain in correctly...

Should I go or not, just to know what AMHA judges would think of this?

It also looks like a horse who has almost no manes, just to thin...

What can I do, I was thinking for extensions
default_biggrin.png
no just joking!

Last edited by a moderator:
When my colt was at the trainers, they decided to give the little guy a break from his neck wraps for one night. The little beast
default_wub.png
rubbed most of his mane out on the feed bucket overnight. We still showed, but it was not pretty. Still placed at Regionals and Worlds though.

Conditioned it like crazy, and then I went to the beauty supply store and bought the stiffest hair freeze product I could find. At least what was there layed over instead of sticking straight up!

Thank you, that's nice to hear, okay it's not verry beautiful but I'm losing almost a year if I have to let it grow... those horses!

default_biggrin.png

Looks like he's an appy, and (at least in big horses) it's very common for them to have almost no mane or tail. I don't think it looks that bad, and if you do a bridle path a little longer, use lots of product to make the rest lay down, I think it will be fine. I'd love to see the rest of him, his color looks very interesting.

My best friend used to raise fullsize apps, and her tri state champion mare had a mane that was about 3" long and stood straight up all her life. Looked like a horse who had been roached and allowed to grow back for a month.
default_wacko.png

Looks like he's an appy, and (at least in big horses) it's very common for them to have almost no mane or tail. I don't think it looks that bad, and if you do a bridle path a little longer, use lots of product to make the rest lay down, I think it will be fine. I'd love to see the rest of him, his color looks very interesting.

My best friend used to raise fullsize apps, and her tri state champion mare had a mane that was about 3" long and stood straight up all her life. Looked like a horse who had been roached and allowed to grow back for a month.
default_wacko.png
I have also a bigsize appie stallion, I have some luck that he has a lot of mane and tail! If they had the same color's I could take some hair of him and put it on my little boy! But my big appy has white mane and tail!

Do you have some magic products for me?
default_biggrin.png

This is my boy when I just clipped his neck

24989391.jpg

Looks like your boy has more hair than my mare and we just got back from a show this past weekend. I just have to do what sunrise valley said...gel it down.

I also talked to a friend this past weekend that said her horses rubbed their manes out overnight in their stalls right before Nationals to the point where they looked roached. She said she got only about two inches of growth before the show and gelled it over.

Oh my ... what a drama if you have that just the night before the nationals!!

I looked up to my picture, and I realise that he have lost some more manes!

I just can't keep an eye on him al the time, I have to work, when I put my itch blanket on him I arrive at home and he has it all over his face, over his eyes,...
default_biggrin.png
you should see him

I put his batman mask on him yesterday (I call it a batman mask) and it looked better because his hair stands everywere and with his mask it sticks to his neck.

I should give him a bath because this picture was taken afther a bath and maybe his hair wil stand bigger!

I will have to buy some good gel like I see :D

If my boy did it on the other way, short in the beginning of his neck I could clip that away but he did it in the wron direction!

I should make a new picture to show you all... its about 10 cm's that he has short mane...

It could be that it's not that bad but I wanted so much those long mane's
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For most of the judges I know, they own and have shown horses in their lifetime, they understand things happen. Although it might be a small deficit, it should not effect their judgement of the overall horse, and many have told me that.

I have two fillies this year that I am showing and you would swear they have reverse mohawks. They rubbed off their bridle paths down to the longer hairs and they have some hair standing up on end.

I am still showing them. I just use a lot of product to get it to stay half way down. But then you have to wash the product out, or they will rub it anyways.

Keep showing!

The mane is just for looks and most judges will look past it. My filly last year decided to fight with the big horse over the fence. The big horse ate half her mane off! :DOH! I had to cut the rest to make it match. Used lots of gel and showed her. She took reserve champion mare with her mane like that! And I have a friend who showed a colt for his uncle. Half his mane was missing (in patches there was no mane). The horse still showed and took a supreme champion. Most judges will look past it since they know horses aren't the best at staying perfect.
default_biggrin.png

Use lots and lots of gel to keep it laying down.

Oh lots of spots, my favorite!!!!!!

I would keep in conditioned, keep him out of the sun so it doesnt make it more dried out, etc... Also, with good conditioning, etc... and gel at show time, you will be fine!!

I have seen horses with half their manes gone- my neighbors horse had its mane AND tail eaten off by another horse a month before the show!!! She still placed Reserve Champion, and it was fairly grown out by Nationals (not as much as it would have been of course, but not bad)

Things happen and I'm sure the judges and all realize that- dont worry!!

Latest posts

Back